What Neo Geo Game/s are you playing? Weekly/daily check.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I’ve been playing Neo Drift Out and Twinkle Star Sprites lately. I’m 1 second too slow on the final stage of Drift Out, so I’ve been trying to get my time down to clear the game. Normally I’m not too big on 2D racers, but this one is some really good fun. The real, licensed vehicles is a huge plus.

pepelegit

Pleasure Goal
I finally got a Super Dodge Ball cart earlier this month, so that's definitely seen the most play over the last few weeks. I am not tremendously good at it, though, haha. Getting crushed by that stage 3 jump in difficulty.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Finally got the Neo Drift Out 1cc today, along with some Twinkle Star Sprites and Crossed Swords II.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Niiiice! Rock on, Digmac :buttrock:

As luck would have it, I actually got another Neo Drift Out 1cc today, this time with the 555 Impreza instead of the Castrol Celica GT-Four. The Celica is faster, with my total time being 7:10, over the 7:18 I pulled today with the Impreza. The Impreza corrects itself out of drifts better, but the acceleration is its downfall. I have yet to try the Lan Evo, but I'm sure that one will be even slower from the stats it has.

Edit: Just got a 1cc with the Lancer Evolution coming in at 7:27. It's the easiest to control but it's really slow acceleration does it in when compared to the Impreza and Celica. You can 1cc the game with all three, though.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
As luck would have it, I actually got another Neo Drift Out 1cc today, this time with the 555 Impreza instead of the Castrol Celica GT-Four. The Celica is faster, with my total time being 7:10, over the 7:18 I pulled today with the Impreza. The Impreza corrects itself out of drifts better, but the acceleration is its downfall. I have yet to try the Lan Evo, but I'm sure that one will be even slower from the stats it has.

Edit: Just got a 1cc with the Lancer Evolution coming in at 7:27. It's the easiest to control but it's really slow acceleration does it in when compared to the Impreza and Celica. You can 1cc the game with all three, though.

Nicely done!

pepelegit

Pleasure Goal
I actually received an MVS cart for Christmas! I finally have League Bowling, so it's pretty much all I've played the last couple days, ha.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
I FINALLY found a game I can convince my girlfriend to play with me on the Neo - surprisingly, not the perennial favorite Puzzle Bobble like I was expecting, but good ol' Bang Bead. She really got into it, and it'll probably be the closest she'll get to a videogame she enjoys haha. We also had a decent time playing 2-on-1 in Fatal Fury, too bad they make you pummel each other after every round, we would have preferred it if we could just keep going as a team.

Besides that, Zupapa solo

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I’m watching some Shougi lessons online so I can play Master of Shougi. On the surface it seems identical to chess, but there’s some differences once you get playing. Hopefully the easy difficulty setting doesn’t whoop me. :lolz:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Been in a Gouketsuji series mood lately. Quick and dirty Matrimelee 1cc run:

View attachment 48845
Great choice. I always liked Olof most, the way he hides his injured, often bleeding arm during battle is pure coolness. How did you do Sissy? Real fight or exploit? Once I discovered how to do it with through the latter, I never got back to try the former. At least I discovered her Achilles' heel by myself and it's indeed a ridiculous one.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Great choice. I always liked Olof most, the way he hides his injured, often bleeding arm during battle is pure coolness. How did you do Sissy? Real fight or exploit? Once I discovered how to do it with through the latter, I never got back to try the former. At least I discovered her Achilles' heel by myself and it's indeed a ridiculous one.
Olof absolutely rocks :buttrock:
Regarding Sissy’s boss ai, I stay aggressive with cross-up combos after I score an initial knockdown against her. The ai seems to have no good/consistent answer to cross-up shenanigans on wakeup for some reason and is crazy vulnerable to rinse and repeat BnB’s that start this way.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I played Savage Reign for the first time yesterday. It's all right I guess; I like that it doesn't take itself seriously. But, man, after a while, I was longing to play through SamSho 2 again. I liked that the characters have character, meaning they're goofy and fun. And the game controls well enough, and the whole platform jumping concept is interesting. But yeah, the overall experience is just kind of mediocre. But I got it for cheap, and it will surely make for a fun playthrough with buddies and beer in short doses.

Not sure what the reputation is on this one. Perhaps someone will call me out for being a casual and not appreciating the depth or whatever. Hahaha, I don't know, man. For me, Savage Reign was very meh. But like I said, I'll pull it out next time I have buddies over, because I'm sure it'll be a kick in multiplayer, for a little while at least.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I played Savage Reign for the first time yesterday. [...] Hahaha, I don't know, man. For me, Savage Reign was very meh.
In my opinion, no other game does a better use of SNK's two-lane trademark classic, not even Fatal Fury. You'll have to fully engage with this concept, if you want this game to ignite. If you go the usual button-masher route, Savage Reign will bite your ass. It's definitely not a game for an SNK newbie, it demands, well, a kind of historical knowledge about SNK versus fighters, maybe even the nerdy kind, too, to be fully appreciated. Let me say, that myself from about a couple years back would totally understand your 'meh'. Things changed, though.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Was in an AES mood yesterday so I played around with KOF 94 and 95, and a little of Fatal Fury 3

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I've always preferred single-plane 2D fighters, so I gravitate toward its sequel, Kizuna Encounter, but I dig the characters, art style, and combo system in Savage Reign. It has a couple characters who didn't make the sequel, but I prefer the exclusives of KE. Rosa and Kim Sue Il outshine the rest of the cast for me, but the game is pretty balanced.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I've always preferred single-plane 2D fighters, so I gravitate toward its sequel, Kizuna Encounter, but I dig the characters, art style, and combo system in Savage Reign. It has a couple characters who didn't make the sequel, but I prefer the exclusives of KE. Rosa and Kim Sue Il outshine the rest of the cast for me, but the game is pretty balanced.
Well, a comparison between Savage and Kizuna is an entirely different discussion. I mean, it's not even clear, if those two can be compared as parts within a series, since they're so different. You have the same problem with Fatal Fury and MotW: should a game be considered as part of the series, just because it shares the storyline and some key characters?

At least in the case of MotW you could always argue that the very first FF also included single-plane stages, still, MotW is more like a "Gaiden" to me, similar to the way of Art of Fighting III, which shares the same name with the series, though it plays like a different game. I feel that a comparison with other 2-plane versus fighters would state more about Savage Reign, than a comparison with its loose sequel. But since you prefer single-plane fighters anyway, there's not much to discuss...

prof

should a game be considered as part of the series, just because it shares the storyline and some key characters?
?! Yes, very much so. Simon's Quest, Double Dragon neo geo, Adventures of Link, SamSho RPG are just a few examples off the top of my head of sequels in which the gameplay was radically changed, yet are still clearly part of the game series. In the case of Kizuna Encounter, not only is it a direct sequel, but they're both 2D fighters fergodsake. Or Mark of the Wolves for that matter. I realize you want to get into the weeds in describing the differences in gameplay styles, and that's cool, I love deeper analyses like that; but come on, man, it's a silly argument that they're not part of the series.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Oliverclaude said it all :buttrock:. Savage Reign was SNK’s final evolution of the multi-plane systems from the Fatal Fury games (The Fuu’un series itself was originally a sequel series to Fatal Fury); so if you felt the feature was gimmicky in Fatal Fury, then it’s heavier emphasis in Savage Reign will drive you away.

After Savage Reign underperformed, the switch to a new tag-based system was an interesting way to try and salvage the series but it just wasn’t meant to be.

When the multi-plane system gradually fell out of favor with the Fuu’un/latter Fatal Fury series (though to be fair the system was in use from 1991-1998), it’s easy to see why the feature was dropped altogether for the more traditional approach that Garou MotW featured.

prof

I like the multi plane feature in Fatal Fury, and said as much about the platforms in Savage Reign. It offers a nice change of pace from the standard single plane 2d fighters. I prefer single plane, but I'm glad some multi-plane games exist to play once in a while. I was just underwhelmed with the overall gameplay of Savage Reign. Like I said prior, I didn't think anything about it was bad necessarily, just very mediocre/average. But to be fair, the past few days before it, I had been playing a lot of SamSho 2, and most fighters are going to seem mediocre after playing that.