What is the best movie adapted from a video game?

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I second that the Sonic movie was pretty decent. Better than it could have been.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I don't think I've watched it since it came out, but I remember liking the Dwayne Johnson/Karl Urban Doom as something of a guilty pleasure-type. Rock as a bad guy was a nice change, it was hard-R, and I mean c'mon, Karl Urban.

stormy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
10 Year Member
MK - remember seeing it like three times in the theater on initial release. Still think it's the most entertaining/watchable of all the vidya game movies.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
Anyone seen The Rock's Doom?

Yeah, I was excited about it at first, then I actually saw it... Seeing it in the dollar movie bin one day said it all... My "expectations weren't subverted" that Hollywood mostly produces garbage. Not bad enough where I'd say never watch it but one shouldn't care either way.

Funny enough I watched the sequel and I kinda like it to be honest as a cheap, straight-to-video, SciFi TV movie deal... You knew going in it's gonna be bad-to-worse, the Rock won't return, most who produced the first film won't either, but I didn't mind by the end.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I don't care...

There's a Video game of it on PS 3...

Hence... it counts... mofo...

XROTx

PS. Semantics...

All right, look.

The first Conan video game came out in 1984. And it was actually a pretty fun game. Had it for the Commodore 64. Not sure what it had to do with Conan but it was decent.

Conan the Barbarian, the movie you posted a clip of, came out on 1982.

We are the keepers of Truth. Let us not relax in our sacred oaths.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Silent Hill (2006) is an alright movie on its own, just don't try to compare it to the original 1999 game, it will just confuse you. I was disappointed more because the movie wasn't scary in any way, the games are way better in that regard.

Still, as far as video game movies go, it's pretty good I'd say. Isolated from the games, it's quite enjoyable.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Sonic the Hedgehog
Detective Pikachu
Mortal Kombat

As far as live action goes, those are the only ones I've seen that I enjoyed.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I liked the Sonic movie. Saw it with my sis and her kids. They loved it and have never played a Sonic game. That says a lot.

I agree with the article, MK is still the best video game adaptation ... But that's not saying much.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I liked the Sonic movie. Saw it with my sis and her kids. They loved it and have never played a Sonic game. That says a lot.

I agree with the article, MK is still the best video game adaptation ... But that's not saying much.

Sonic is the bizarro world version of the game movie: the movie is good but the game sucks. :D

famicommander

15 Year Member
Sonic is the bizarro world version of the game movie: the movie is good but the game sucks. :D

Sonic games were actually on a pretty good streak until Forces came out and sucked.

But Colors (both the Wii and DS versions), Generations (Both the PS3/360 and 3DS versions), All-Stars Racing Transformed, Lost World, and Mania (Plus) were all pretty rad.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Need for Speed
Super Hornio Brothers
Wing Commander
Bayonetta: Bloody Fate
Yakuza: Like a Dragon
OneChanbara
Pixels

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Silent Hill for me. Haven't watched Sonic or Detective Pikachu.

Edit: if CGI counts, I thought FF: Kingsglaive was excellent.

Sonic games were actually on a pretty good streak until Forces came out and sucked.

There was also Sonic Boom

PS: I don't like any Sonic game

Last edited:

Knud

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Sonic movie was good, i watched it in the cinema for the first time dubbed in Icelandic which i recommend for everyone!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_video_games

I'd still genuinely agree/feel Mortal Kombat is/remains the best.

I can watch it so many times and still enjoy it. Favorite scene is still Reptile versus Liu Kang fight. Everyone at the theater went wild yelling "Daaaammmmnn!" when Liu flew threw that brick wall from high-energy Reptile's first jump kick! (P. S. Reptile got robbed I say! Liu got his butt whooped, shouldn't have been able to win in the end after that for the sake of good-guys-always-win plot standard, lol).

Great soundtrack for most scenes, can never go wrong with Christopher Lambert in, or Cary Tagawa, etc. Perfect action movie start to finish, really. But the sequel?? An abomination with some cool fights now and then...

You're a lunatic but I agree here. I was 7 going on 8 when MK The Movie came out (25th anniversary two days ago...ffffffffuck) and I ate it up like everything else MK. God, I'm trying real hard to actually remember the conversations I had with friends on the playground about it. There were things I didn't like about it, maybe dumb things that 7 year old me couldn't understand like why the movie wasn't exactly faithful, but whatever. And then for a long time after, I didn't like it...until quarantine earlier this year and I watched it again.

Robin Shou deserved better than Beverly Hills Ninja and a fade into obscurity.

I think, unconsciously, the shooting in Thailand and using the actual historical temples for some of the backgrounds had an effect on me. Something like get out of America and travel to see that part of the world.

"Those were $500 sunglasses, asshole." I remember not liking the Goro puppet or whatever you'd call it before but now with all the CGI I really appreciate what the effects crew made.

-------------------------

The Resident Evil movies sucked. The only thing people remember about the first one is the scene that completely aped a scene from Cube, and the ending where she walks out, I guess. The rest of the movies were just things you'd might see when they hit the dollar theater, maybe.

SFII with van Damme, which had some memorable scenes ("Bison is a bad guy?...you got paid?" and the 'for me it was a tuesday'), as a whole is not something I want to rewatch.

SFII: The Animated Movie is still cool as shit all these years later. Chun Li shower scene, come on you guys that was legendary for pre-teen boys everywhere.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
probably still Mortal Kombat, but that doesn't say much. The second movie is hardcore trash though, hard sitting through while sober. Street Fighter has some awesome one-liners and Raul Julia kills it as Bison.
1564294904972.gif

I thought the Warcraft movie was okay, and Detective Pikachu was pretty entertaining thanks to Ryan Reynolds. Anyone like the Doom movie?

famicommander

15 Year Member
Silent Hill for me. Haven't watched Sonic or Detective Pikachu.

Edit: if CGI counts, I thought FF: Kingsglaive was excellent.

There was also Sonic Boom

PS: I don't like any Sonic game

Sonic Boom games are a whole new level of suck but I give them a pass on those because they are based on the children's cartoon and they farmed them out to some other studios. Sonic Team and SEGA had nothing to do with the development.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Mortal Kombat hands down.

It's sequel was utter shit but I will say this, MK Annihilation was Tony Jaa's first big movie as a stuntman before taking the world by force with Ong Bak.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I enjoyed a lot of the Resident Evil series for what it was.

It's a movie you gotta turn your brain off before watching but so are the videogames. What was goofy but still credible in a B-movie sense in the three first games' plot completely jumped the shark with Matrix Wesker in Code Veronica. I guess they just couldn't leave the dude alone dead in the tyrant or boiler room in the first game. Who cares if the movies have nothing to do with the games, the games have nothing to do with themselves.

Still I'd want to see the Romero version of Resident Evil, which, if you look past the "muh game accuracy" aspect, is also a pretty bad script.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
It's a movie you gotta turn your brain off before watching but so are the videogames. What was goofy but still credible in a B-movie sense in the three first games' plot completely jumped the shark with Matrix Wesker in Code Veronica. I guess they just couldn't leave the dude alone dead in the tyrant or boiler room in the first game. Who cares if the movies have nothing to do with the games, the games have nothing to do with themselves.

Still I'd want to see the Romero version of Resident Evil, which, if you look past the "muh game accuracy" aspect, is also a pretty bad script.

RE1 is prolly the best of the bunch, and I stand by the rest being terrible. I mean c'mon, every sequel thereafter has to have a setpiece where Alice seems invincible again all that come at her, only to turn around and suddenly run away because, "Shit, they're too strong." From RE2 to 5, it occurs like clockwork.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Resident Evil is all about Paul Anderson showing off his hot wife.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Yakuza: Like a Dragon

+1

Like a Dragon was almost perfect from the casting to how faithful it was to the game. The only thing that sucked about it was the side story about the young couple that had nothing to do with anything.