What is the best movie adapted from a video game?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Stalker or The Godfather, probably.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Max Payne!

Spoiler:
Actually it was really shit and I mean really fucking shit. Recommend only to people you hate.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Silent Hill might be the best made video game movie, and it is not a good movie.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Silent Hill might be the best made video game movie, and it is not a good movie.

There aren't any great game-based movies so the bar is extremely low. The recent Sonic movie was pretty good, as was Pokemon Detective Pikachu. Mortal Kombat isn't a bad choice either.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
If we're going to go live action, my choice is Rampage. It was fun and understood what it was. That it's utterly forgettable tells you something about live action game adaptations.

If we're including CGI, then it's all three of the Resident Evil CGI movies. They're all pretty great. Degeneration is especially true to the license and doesn't betray what the series became by that point. In fact, all three films are true to the franchise and well executed, even though Leon's motorcycle murder spree in the third one was a weird turn.

I'd also put Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete in the running if we're including CGI. I can think of no better epilogue for those characters.

If we're talking ANY adaptation, its Castlevania on Netflix, despite the third season's laughable woke (and predictably so) turns and boring arc with Isaac.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Street fighter, mario bros, double dragon, in that order.

Toilet paper please.

Edit - I haven't seen many video game film adaptations but I did watch sonic the hedgehog with my kids just recently, and quite enjoyed it. I still like Jim Carrey though I don't think I'm supposed to for reasons I can't remember.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Prince of Persia wasn’t bad but I’m not sure how accurate it was.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,

Come one... there can only be one cheesy as fuck film made that wins this thread...

xROTx

PS. It's CONAN...

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Live-action: Mortal Kombat

CGI: Final Fantasy VII Advent Children

Anime: Fatal Fury The Motion Picture :vik:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
max payne was watchable.
I would also give a nod to Silent Hill. I would watch that again.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I'd still genuinely agree/feel Mortal Kombat is/remains the best. I can watch it many times and still enjoy it. :-J

Favorite scene by far remains Reptile versus Liu Kang fight although Scorpion v. Johnny Cage wasn't bad either minus the supernatural aspects. Wish more action movies had martial arts choreography this good, they cared here, and it shows!

Everyone at the theater (which was 100% packed!) went wild, some yelling "Daaaammn!" as Liu flew threw that brick wall from high-energy Reptile's first jump kick! Hollywood Johnny was busy looking for a mirror, make sure his hair looked good, couldn't bother to help, heh... Liu's line should've been like "Thanks for having my back, brah!"

P. S. Side thought: Reptile got robbed I say! Liu got his butt whooped, Reptile f-cked him up good, shouldn't have been able to win in the end after that for the sake of good-guys-always-win plot standard, lol. The no-blood-no-scratches-no-bruises thing is comical as well.

Great soundtrack for most scenes is always a plus, and can never go wrong with Christopher Lambert in, or Cary Tagawa, etc. Perfect action movie start to finish, really. But the sequel ?? An abomination with some cool fights now and then...

The ones you mentioned, while good, only got one viewing from me, didn't leave a memorable mark. Silent Hill I did watch a second time, good horror, but doesn't earn legendary status from me like MK.

I'd love a MK 4K BluRay when, if ever, available for the ole movie collection.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Angry Birds.

Just kidding.

Where do you guys rank any of the Tomb Raider movies?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Where do you guys rank any of the Tomb Raider movies?

There's Godfather part 3....

Then... 50 feet of shit....

Then the body of your most loved pet...

Then there's the Tomb Raider Films... ANY OF THEM...

xROTx

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Yeah, gonna have to go with MK on this one, with the caveat that the bar is ridiculously low. The exposition was obviously stupid, but the martial arts sections and FX were great for what they were.

The story behind the theme song is pretty interesting too. They just stole a song called Twilight Zone from some European techno group and dubbed in the vocals. The original group was too broke to take legal action, so they got away with it.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I felt the recent tomb raider film was quite good.
The previous ones were utter garbage.

But thats the problem with most game movie adaptions they ate mostly shit.

Mario bros nearly made my eyes bleed!!

Street fighter was just laughable.

Silent hill was ok.

MK yeah I enjoyed that.

RE I have mixed feelings, Allthough the first 2 are ok on their own merrit they played a bit fast and loose with the RE storyline which I didnt like.

Sonic was a suprisingly enjoyable film and I am interested to see what they do with the sequel.

Didnt know there was a prince of persia film will have to look that up.

Postal..... Really?? They made a film of postal!?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I felt the recent tomb raider film was quite good.

I bet you were dropped on your head as a child...

Utterly boring film... zero plot...

Characters you didn't give a shit about... including the so called "heroine"...

You might as well watch a Marvel movie...

xROTx

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I bet you were dropped on your head as a child...

Utterly boring film... zero plot...

Characters you didn't give a shit about... including the so called "heroine"...

You might as well watch a Marvel movie...

xROTx

Ya pissed rot go to bed :p

The plot was pretty straightforward albeit predictable.
And it certainly stayed closer to the source material than the crazy Jolie offerings which were beyond a doubt utter shit.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Ya pissed rot go to bed :p

The plot was pretty straightforward albeit predictable.
And it certainly stayed closer to the source material than the crazy Jolie offerings which were beyond a doubt utter shit.

PFFT... I can function drunk better than most of you guys sober...

That movie sucked harder than a Maury V heroine... in need of quick money...

xROTx

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member

Come one... there can only be one cheesy as fuck film made that wins this thread...

xROTx

PS. It's CONAN...

It's not based on a video game.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Sonic was decent, definitely better than expected.

Resident Evil enjoyed a number of movies but I was not a fan.

Anyone seen The Rock's Doom?