What Guilty Gear should I start out on?

marktheshark

Morden's Lackey
I've been thinking about getting into the series for a while now, but to be honest, I'm not sure which game I should start out on. Should I start out with any of the early Guilty Gear games & work my way up, or should I just stick to the newest game in the series? Also, are there enough differences between each game to warrant getting each one of them? I'm not really familiar with the Guilty Gear series.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Just get Accent Core, the newest one. There is no reason to get an older version. MAYBE Guilty Gear (for PS-X) for giggles sake.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Personally, I would suggest getting Blaz Blue instead. To me it feels a lot like the hectic gameplay of GG while being just a little prettier. However, if you are insistant on specifically getting a GG game you may as well go for the latest which is Accent Core Plus last I kept up with the series. You can probably find it used for PS2 for cheap. Some players will try to convince you not to get Accent Core (the non-plus version) because they left a couple characters out of the unlockable roster who were in a few previous versions.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Personally, I would suggest getting Blaz Blue instead. To me it feels a lot like the hectic gameplay of GG while being just a little prettier. However, if you are insistant on specifically getting a GG game you may as well go for the latest which is Accent Core Plus last I kept up with the series. You can probably find it used for PS2 for cheap. Some players will try to convince you not to get Accent Core (the non-plus version) because they left a couple characters out of the unlockable roster who were in a few previous versions.

Yea, but they are boss characters who weren't really balanced. Just get standard AC its like $20. And yea Blaz Blue is pretty much the same style of game (if you have next gen). If you have the ability to play import ps2 I'd also recommend Melty Blood, but not because I like the game (I actually really despise it), but because its the same combo crazy shit. Also Hakuto no Ken and Basara X play similar to Guilty Gear too.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The farther in I got into the series, the more I liked it. Accent Core is awesome, as it is the deepest of the series. However, it may help you to go into Reload or Slash to get used to everything. With AC, they introduced new moves and new gameplay that may overwhelm you. Or you can just say fuck it and dive right in. They changed a lot of stuff in AC, including the voice actors. Some for the better, many for the worse.

But, if you go into AC, don't bother going backwards. Pick a character and just use the hell out of them. So many characters in this game are different from each other, it's almost as if some are in different games.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
HIJACK

In terms of Atomiswave games, would you go Guilty Gear X, or Guilty Gear Isuka?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Isuka, bestest game in the series.

Guilty Gear II: Overture for the 360 is a close runner up though.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm a purist so if it's a series you're interested in, just start from the beginning so you can see the evolution of the series. And play them in order.

Just my .02

NotoriousReignz

Morden's Lackey
That's what I meant by X2, I have the one for Xbox. Too bad the Live support is coming down in a couple weeks.

Shawn Carr2o

6200|!!|Drillslug Driver
An AW + Guilty Gear Isuka and Nights of Valor: The Seven Spirits are coming in the mail real soon. It will be my first time playing both games. :D

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I got an Atomiswave board + Guilty Gear Isuka and Nights of Valor: The Seven Spirits coming real soon. It will be my first time for me playing both games. :D

You might be dissapointed in Isuka once you play it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
agreed. get BlazBlue

I still can't get into GG

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Personally, I would suggest getting Blaz Blue instead. To me it feels a lot like the hectic gameplay of GG while being just a little prettier.

agreed. get BlazBlue. I still can't get into GG

Well shoot, if we're talking GG-related alternatives then how about this?

1zwowhl.jpg

:D

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
:)FOTN shits on GG and Blazblue at the same time.

NotoriousReignz

Morden's Lackey
I have to admit I haven't put much time into Blaz, there's only like 10 characters to start with right?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
As far as GG games go, I agree Accent Core is the way the go. Its a phenomenal game and really the only one you will need unless you want to go back and trace the game's history/roots (which I sometimes like to do).

As far as Blazblue goes, I enjoy it, but nearly as much as Guilty Gear...

HIJACK

In terms of Atomiswave games, would you go Guilty Gear X, or Guilty Gear Isuka?

How is Guilty Gear X 1.5 on the Atomiswave? :)

I've owned both games on atomiswave and think they both have their own merits. I believe GG X 1.5 is essentially the same as the DC and PS2 ports. The game looks fantastic in hi res. The only thing is that the game is pretty expensive as its hard to come by. I believe I bought it for $175 and I was a tad bit disappointed just because the home ports were so good I felt it was an uneccessary expense and sold it off.

GG Isuka is good, I enjoyed it. It has the weird mechanic of hitting a button to turn around, but honestly, I didnt find it too hard to get used to. After some practing, it becomes second nature. And some of the fights become pretty insane. And also, the game looks great in hi res. Plus, it is pretty reasonable in terms of cost.

But as w/ GG 1.5...the home port was really good too. So I ended up selling both games (and all my AW stuff) awhile back. For me, the ports are just fine. But if you are a committed arcade/pcb guy, then get them both as I think they are 2 of the more enjoyable games on the AW.