What Guilty Gear should I start out on?

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I have to admit I haven't put much time into Blaz, there's only like 10 characters to start with right?

Being the first title in a new series you are right the number of fighters is smaller and set at 12, but there is already a sequal that introduces another 3 fighters from what I read. This new version of the game will get a 360 and PS3 port as well.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i didnt like accent core on ps2.

my favorite is still xx reload on naomi. didnt like it on xbox, had a lot of problems pulling off moves. could have just been the controllers i was using though. seems more strict than sf3 or even kof.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Well shoot, if we're talking GG-related alternatives then how about this?

1zwowhl.jpg

:D

I own this and it's great fun.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I own this and it's great fun.

All five frames of animation of it. It's just not as good as Guilty Gear XX. Not as many characters, not as deep, not as non-broken. Neat, but lacking.

Silky Johnson

Zero's Tailor
All five frames of animation of it. It's just not as good as Guilty Gear XX. Not as many characters, not as deep, not as non-broken. Neat, but lacking.

Who cares about that? The epicness of Hokuto no Ken makes it be above any of Guilty Gear of Blazblue games!

I wish they could release again this game on PSN we could play online. It's a very good game indeed.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Who cares about that? The epicness of Hokuto no Ken makes it be above any of Guilty Gear of Blazblue games!

:spock:

Who cares about balance, gameplay, depth and presentation? Uh.... fighting.... game... fans? Was this a trick question?

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,
You might be dissapointed in Isuka once you play it.

I'm going to strongly agree with this. I had an AW and Isuka... ugh.. YOU HAVE TO SWITCH DIRECTIONS WITH A BUTTON!. It doesn't do it automatically. How stupid is that.

As for my suggestion I'd 'start' with Accent Core Probably. Each version has it's own little cool stuff, but nobody plays anything before accent core anymore. Hmmm... I don't even know if people even play Guilty Gear anything anymore... Just go buy blazblue.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The first Guilty Gear is still the most intense fighting game I've ever played. I really like the entire series, you couldn't go worng with any of them but if I was you and I wanted to start with this series I feel that Accent Core+ might be a bit too much too handle if you are not used to the pace of the series. AC+ separates the noobs from the veterans real quick and most people that play the game hardly scratch the surface.

I would start with Guilty Gear X or XX (X2) for the PS2 'cause is cheap, relatively easy to find and it has everything that makes Guilty Gear unique in spades. If you have a DC go with GGX and get a VGA box, I still remember teh first time I did that, I seriously felt the wheels of progress rolling when I played that game.

The whole ISUKA debacle here is just so wrong. ISUKA is a great game, however I can see why people hate the turning button, after all I hate the Block button on MK games. Well, I was so ready for ISUKA 'cause the first Guilty Gear used to have a slow turn around time and you could get punish easily when attempting crossups and so on, there was this trick though, if you hit the respect button your character will trun around inmediately so I used it all the time so in short the whole trun around technic used in ISUKA was something already on the works since the first inception of the series. THe funny thing is that people are so obssesed with the turn around button they don't even realize that even after you get a hold of doing that you still have another 3 commands for switching planes. ISUKA is a very intricate fighter, very technical ala FATAL FURY 3 which is also a fantastic game and one of the most technical games I have played.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
:spock:

Who cares about balance, gameplay, depth and presentation? Uh.... fighting.... game... fans? Was this a trick question?

I agree. Again, I had the original HNK game on AW and then got the ps2 port. The game is a fun diversion and absolutely worth getting if you can play import ps2 games, but nowhere near as good as the guilty gear games.

The same goes for Sengoku Basara X. I got the game awhile ago but really haven't invested alot of time into it. from my basic impressions though, it's fun if you don't take it too seriously.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I would just go with the latest version of GG (accent core plus or something?) or blazblue. The guilty gear scene is small enough as is, if you wanna really get into such a hard to master game you probably wanna jump on the version that is most relevant in your area.

If you live somewhere that doesn't have a scene (check dustloop.com forums) then just play blazblue with its nice online mode:)