What do you guys think about this Ganryu cart?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Asking price (it's more than I would want to pay) and boards (they're legit) aside, I'm not too sure how I feel about these two pictures:

Screenshot_20201103_132027.png

Screenshot_20201103_131950.png

In most other pictures that I found online the cart was a darker shade of blue. The one in the pictures kind of reminds me of Yaton's carts.

The label doesn't seem to have the holo effect. The one on mvs-scans doesn't seem to be a holo label either. Did they really make two production runs of a game like Ganryu?

Also, there's no gold warning sticker.

If you have a copy that you want to get rid of, then feel free to contact me. It's one of the last 3 titles that I'm missing. I'm not looking for the bargain of the century, but I don't want to make a mistake, either. I'm usually pretty good at spotting fake stuff, but this one really threw me off and now I'm not sure what to watch out for.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The label seems legit and it'd be quite hard to detach an original label just to put it on a fake shell (at leats without leaving noticeable marks).

Maybe the lighter blue is due to the camera the pics were taken with. Shit tend to look different in real life that in a pic taken with a cheap ass camera.

That and the boards being legit makes me think it should be OK.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Looks real to me but impossible to say for sure with those pics. Ganryu labels look slightly different than other games (faded GANRYU text, sharp serials) and many have lost their hologram shiny quality. The cart shell appears to have the residue from a missing warning label on the back.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
The cart shell appears to have the residue from a missing warning label on the back.
I thought so too but was not sure. I do have a few spare carts that I could steal the warning label from and I may be tempted to try and put the label on a black shell, anyway. I've done this with Captain Tomaday, Strikers, Windjammers, Garou, Spin Master, KOF98 and Puzzle Bobble 2, so I know it can be done.

The seller sent me two more pictures which were much better:

Screenshot_20201103_142858.png

Screenshot_20201103_142935.png

Seems like the first picture was horribly overexposed. Now my only fear is that he may have had two carts. Paranoid, I know.

That being said and knowing full well that this sale can easily be tracked, I feel like I should let you know that I'm now missing two games only. Meaning: I bought the game. 800€ is insane but importing a copy and paying 4,7% customs fee and 19% VAT on top of it wouldn't have been much less, so I jumped on it. The last time I tried to get one on here the seller wanted to trade for a NEO SD. I offered to buy him one from Stoneage Gamer, but never got a reply. Then I bid on a copy about two years ago. It was a seller from the UK and someone was willing to pay more than my max bid of either 707€ or 777€. There was another copy on eBay from a guy in Isreal just a few weeks later. He wanted close to 600€ but the label wasn't as nice.
Well, at least I am one step closer to finally being able to sell all the stuff that I kept as trade bait. In the end this game won't have cost me more than it was worth about a decade ago.

Thanks for your help, guys. Much appreciated. It is my most expensive game, so far. Even SS5S was 200€ less (3 years ago). I have to admit that I'm excited, but I also feel like throwing up a little.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Seems like the first picture was horribly overexposed. Now my only fear is that he may have had two carts. Paranoid, I know.

It's the same cartridge in both pictures. Check out the edge of the label peeling on the far left side by the letters MVS, the same peeling on the corner can be seen in both pictures.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
It's the same cartridge in both pictures. Check out the edge of the label peeling on the far left side by the letters MVS, the same peeling on the corner can be seen in both pictures.

I feel the same.

I feel like the first pics were just horrible pics, nothing else.

Last pics looks to have proper contrast so no light blue on the case and holo on the label.

If it's a fake I'd fall for it too but, a fake with real boards and label? That would be really strange.

Congrats on getting closer to a MVS fullset.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If the seller isn't going to open it, can they at least send a photo of the other side?

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Congrats on getting closer to a MVS fullset.
Thanks. I bought my first two MVS carts in November of 2001 but never planned to go for a full set. In fact, I only bought an MVS copy of Metal Slug because I was neither willing nor able to spend $800 on a legit homecart. The other game was Neo Turf Masters. Fast Forward 19 years and all that's missing are Pochi and Nyaa and Ninja Commando.

If the seller isn't going to open it, can they at least send a photo of the other side?
There was a picture of the boards in the listing. I knew right away that those were legit but I wasn't 100% sure about the label. Getting a repro label when all of my other games have legit ones would have bothered me. Especially for that kind of money.

I already got the game, cleaned the boards and put them in a black shell. From what I have played so far it seems to be a decent game.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Congrats supergoose.

I started a few years ago with MVS and now I've got around 50 games. Not looking for a full set either but time will tell.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Congrats supergoose.

I started a few years ago with MVS and now I've got around 50 games. Not looking for a full set either but time will tell.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Oh. The label looks good, especially those new overexposed photos, which confirm the holographic quality.

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
I can't believe this game is selling for that price these days. It's one of the titles I dread thinking about for a full set because I don't really like the game much. That being said, congrats! I am a bit envious, even though I don't like it much I'd still want it anyway!

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I can't believe this game is selling for that price these days. It's one of the titles I dread thinking about for a full set because I don't really like the game much. That being said, congrats! I am a bit envious, even though I don't like it much I'd still want it anyway!

You're gonna love Chibi Marukochan Deluxe Quiz then :lolz: