What do you dooo

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Hyundai's are pretty awesome now. The Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 (which shares the same platform in partnership with Kia) are marvelous vehicles and big signs of what's to come in the future.

The days of Hyundai's warranties being mandatory because they'd break down all the time are long behind them.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Hyundai's are pretty awesome now. The Ioniq 5 and Kia EV6 (which shares the same platform in partnership with Kia) are marvelous vehicles and big signs of what's to come in the future.

The days of Hyundai's warranties being mandatory because they'd break down all the time are long behind them.

If I could explain the concept of engineering quality in a single forum post I sure would. All I can say is that you get what you pay for.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If I could explain the concept of engineering quality in a single forum post I sure would. All I can say is that you get what you pay for.

And Hyundai’s aren’t the cheapest cars anymore. As for build quality, honestly, it’s probably better than Ford’s.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I'm more curious how many hours people spend working and if they feel balanced in their life.

I think alot of the 1980 to 2000 born generation feel pretty hard done by for the amount of graft required to make end meet, let alone aspire for a bit more than that.

I left a job last year that gave me very little work life balance. A stressful job plus the bullshit of 2020 has changed me and no doubt many others of this generation. We should all try be kinder to each other.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Work life balance is better now than it has been in the past...but definitely not where it should be. Having to commute back into office (like 2 1/2 hours every day) doesn’t help either.

In the 12 years I have been at my company I have never taken the full amount of paid time off I am allotted. I do get a lot of time, but it’s still frustrating/messed up.

Having said that, I am having more fun at work now. Not as much fun as I’d have at home coloring with my kids or playing...but at least not the daily grind it used to be in my 20s and 30s.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
In the 12 years I have been at my company I have never taken the full amount of paid time off I am allotted.
Why? Does it add up or is it a use it or loose it thing?

If it's the latter you're doing yourself wrong to not take advantage of it.

The American idea/unsaid rule of not taking full advantage of time off, benefits, putting in needless overtime etc. essentially doing the company a favor is a huge problem. Obviously do your job to your full potential but sacrificing quality of life for a company that doesn't give a shit about you isn't doing anything except making people at the top look better when they are actually doing less. It just leaves you with less time for your life and family.

Then again you might be one of those people at the top.
screens_feature3-1.jpg

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Obviously do your job to your full potential
But is that obvious?

I would suggest that if you're the kind of person who puts everything into your work then you should be working for yourself - you will succeed.

If you want to take the piss, spend full days pretending to work but really just surf the internet then work for someone else.

The absolute worst of both worlds is working your cock off to line someone else's pockets.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Edit: Wrong thread.

As a kid I always wanted to be a fried dough chef.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Why? Does it add up or is it a use it or loose it thing?

If it's the latter you're doing yourself wrong to not take advantage of it.

The American idea/unsaid rule of not taking full advantage of time off, benefits, putting in needless overtime etc. essentially doing the company a favor is a huge problem. Obviously do your job to your full potential but sacrificing quality of life for a company that doesn't give a shit about you isn't doing anything except making people at the top look better when they are actually doing less. It just leaves you with less time for your life and family.

We can carry over 5 days, but the rest is use it or lose it. 😡

But is that obvious?

I would suggest that if you're the kind of person who puts everything into your work then you should be working for yourself - you will succeed.

If you want to take the piss, spend full days pretending to work but really just surf the internet then work for someone else.

The absolute worst of both worlds is working your cock off to line someone else's pockets.

I could never be an entrepreneur. My penis is too flaccid. 😭

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member

I’m going to come clean and say I only realised this in the last couple of years. You do a great job, you’ll continue to be expected to work at that level. You do a shit job, no one will expect that much from you. If you’re both paid the same - whose the bigger idiot, the hard worker or the lazy worker?

But if you take the lazy route, don’t expect any promotions or being saved during any cost saving drives by the business.

So the trick is to be somewhere in the middle.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
How many people have done complete 180 to another career in the last 10 years?
I sometimes feel like I have such a narrow field of expertise, that jumping into even another science position would be a tough sell.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
How many people have done complete 180 to another career in the last 10 years?
I sometimes feel like I have such a narrow field of expertise, that jumping into even another science position would be a tough sell.
Yeah, I change jobs all the time, I'm easily bored.

In the last 10 years I've been a chartered accountant at a multinational, run my own accountancy practice, run a car lot and run a breakers yard. I also briefly owned a pub which I recently sold and I've just started training to be an articulated truck driver. I did a fair bit of landlording in and amongst all that too.

If you want to make a change just do it - the beauty is you can go back to anything that you've done before if you fuck everything up at your new job, the risk isn't anything like people think it is.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I work in the legal field. I don’t know how the fuck I got into this trade. It pays the bills and for the most part it’s not too stressful.

I think if a better opportunity comes my way I’ll probably get out of it but I’ve been saying that for the last 12 years.

Last edited:

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member

Yeah i had a 2016 Kia Forte and that thing was rock solid for 80k until someone rear ended me and totalled it out. Great vehicles.