What console would you recommend next to a NeoGeo?

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I managed to set up my CMVS for "pick up and play" style recently, but realizing I have all my fighting needs on the geo I seldom pick up the DC any more (apart from a quick round of Ikaruga)

I'm much into 2D "adventure" gaming and platformers (like NES in the past with Zelda, Castlevania and stuff) but have played most of that already and I'm wondering what you'd recommend to pick up next to a Geo for that style of play.
I really don't care very much for everything 3D (perhaps top down games like Forced or the Tomb Raider GoL as an exception)

Tbh I even considered building a weak steam machine as this has many platformers and adventure games by indie devs.

What would be your choice or recommendation?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I managed to set up my CMVS for "pick up and play" style recently, but realizing I have all my fighting needs on the geo I seldom pick up the DC any more (apart from a quick round of Ikaruga)

I'm much into 2D "adventure" gaming and platformers (like NES in the past with Zelda, Castlevania and stuff) but have played most of that already and I'm wondering what you'd recommend to pick up next to a Geo for that style of play.
I really don't care very much for everything 3D (perhaps top down games like Forced or the Tomb Raider GoL as an exception)

Tbh I even considered building a weak steam machine as this has many platformers and adventure games by indie devs.

What would be your choice or recommendation?
As far as retro consoles, the best for 2D platformers would be the Genesis and SNES.

Last edited:

Crush Roller

Rugal's Thug
I guess Snes and MD have the standard platformers with a few surprises but the PC engine may have some more of the Japanese flavoured platformers and games which are themselves interesting/weird to seek out and play.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Like everyone else has said, obvious choices are the MD, SNES & PCE.

Although the SNES is my personal fave of that bunch, I'd say the MD is your overall best bet for what you're after re: complimenting the NeoGeo.

tomlee80

Kabuki Klasher
Super Nintendo...

Living in Austria, you won't want to use the PAL Super Nintendo. Get yourself a US SNES for 60Hz full screen game play.

The SNES has a huge catalogue of quality RPGs and also a decent number of quality platformers. To name a few: Secret Of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III, Super Castlevania IV, Disney's Aladdin etc.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
Thank you for the Inputs, what has the PCE going for it - it's the only console of the list I never owned.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
what has the PCE going for it - it's the only console of the list I never owned.

Gimmicky collector allure.

The ultimate console for action/platform games is the NES/FC.

Don't get me wrong though, the MD, SNES and PC Engine are obviously all great systems worth owning.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Gimmicky collector allure.

The ultimate console for action/platform games is the NES/FC.

Don't get me wrong though, the MD, SNES and PC Engine are obviously all great systems worth owning.

The one game on PCE I always flaunt, Makyou Densetsu.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Add a SNES to give you the deepest, most diverse line up.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Wii U. You have access to some great games along with everything from the Wii library and a ton of great games from the eShop and Virtual Console

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Wii U. You have access to some great games along with everything from the Wii library and a ton of great games from the eShop and Virtual Console

I was going to go with Wii or Wii U simply for the emulation and catalogs of high quality NES, SNES, and PCE games they offer. If you don't want to pay the (ridiculous) prices of admission for SNES and now NES, then this may be your way to go.

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You need a Sega Neptune

You also need a Nintendo ON.
computer_nintendo_on.jpg

But on a serious answer, Id with the NES. It has castlevania, megaman and mario to name a few. If you've already played those, there's lots of obscure NES platformers out there such as Metal Storm.

Last edited:

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'll always recommend the Amstrad CPC 6128.

Joking.

The Super Famicom because of Super Mario World or Cho Makaimura. For shooters, definately the Mega Drive, it has wonders. And Bare Knuckle II. Then the PC Engine.

About PAL consoles: just for collecting, yes, not for gaming. Go for NTSC consoles if you want the accurate presentation in terms of speed or color.

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I was going to go with Wii or Wii U simply for the emulation and catalogs of high quality NES, SNES, and PCE games they offer. If you don't want to pay the (ridiculous) prices of admission for SNES and now NES, then this may be your way to go.

Agreed. Or you can always acquire a flash cart and test before buy the real thing.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Super Nintendo...

Living in Austria, you won't want to use the PAL Super Nintendo. Get yourself a US SNES for 60Hz full screen game play.

In Europe I'd say its better to get a PAL SNES and mod it for 60hz since:
- can get one locally on the cheap, no hassles with customs, international shipping etc.
- looks like the SFC, unlike the US SNES which looks like shit
- can get the offical SNES Nintendo RGB cable meaning you don't have to dick around with dodgy third party cables

The only instance I would consider a US SNES is a Mini for the sharper RGB, but even then I would rather get a SFC Junior.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I would say ps2 due to the huge library of great games it offers and the backwards compatibility with ps1 titles

bklyn4ever

New Challenger
I would say ps2 due to the huge library of great games it offers and the backwards compatibility with ps1 titles

I do not believe all ps2 consoles are backwards compatible. I would research that before you go ahead and make the purchase. I do agree that the ps2 is a wise Hoover though

bklyn4ever

New Challenger
I think another console to consider is the turbo grafx. If you are into shmups this is definitely the system or it!

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I do not believe all ps2 consoles are backwards compatible. I would research that before you go ahead and make the purchase. I do agree that the ps2 is a wise Hoover though

Wrong.

Stop posting.