What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Someone doesn’t like the Final Fight soundtrack? I’m shocked!

ASD is right, it’s subjective, but come on, the Subway soundtrack and audio of the train may be the best out of any game from that period.

I need to fire FF up again.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
Final Fight CD is the shit. Slap bass on the opening intro....

They should have released on another CD system (unless it was that I didnt know about).

Cant justify the ceerazy prices for mega cds now

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I mean, Final Fight OST is pretty legendary but the enjoyment of music is obviously very subjective.
Is it fair to compare CPS1 music from 1989 to a 1993 arrange?
I suppose "meh" was a strong choice of wording for my feelings about the FF OST. Meh sure has a tendency to rile up the natives. Some of it was good, but some of it just fell flat to me. And I felt that many of the sound effects were grating on my ears. I hadn't played the arcade in probably 20 years, so maybe I was just a bit let down as the soundtrack is so heralded. The gameplay was perfect though, and like I said, the lack of slowdown with up to 10ish sprites moving simultaneously is quite a feat for a game of that vintage.

And I get what you're saying about the awesome SCD soundtrack, but what the heck else can I compare it to if not the original game on which it's based? How about the SNES port, is that fair? Yes, the SCD sounds much better than the Snes port. :D

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Played Night Slashers yesterday. Got a kick out of it. Not a great Beat'm up but a not bad either.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Have you 1cc'd it?

Haha nope.

I'm just curious as to why you think it's not great. Most people are automatically sold on the visuals/theme alone...and I can't blame them.

You know that there are quite a few special moves/grabs with each character? Not that this turns a game "great"..

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Haha nope.

I'm just curious as to why you think it's not great. Most people are automatically sold on the visuals/theme alone...and I can't blame them.

You know that there are quite a few special moves/grabs with each character? Not that this turns a game "great"..

Yes, I tried all the Characters and figured out the grabs. Also, when you do the specials, you could do it in Mid-Air or on the ground but sometimes I don't know if it's worth it being that using the special takes alot of your life bar. Game was pretty easy for the most part but it felt rushed and slightly broken. Could have been much better. The Visuals are great, hit detection is so so. It's not a bad game, worth a try. You'll know what I mean when you play it. Going to play Violent Storm next since that game has been on my list for awhile.

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yes, I tried all the Characters and figured out the grabs. Also, when you do the specials, you could do it in Mid-Air or on the ground but sometimes I don't know if it's worth it being that using the special takes alot of your life bar. Game was pretty easy for the most part but it felt rushed. Could have been much better. The Visuals are great, hit detection is so so. It's not a bad game, worth a try. I've been meaning to play it for awhile and got around to it yesterday. Going to play Violent Storm next.

You have the charge moves with Jake, the charge grabs...not just talking about the desperations..but yeah the air ones are cool.

The presentation is crazy for it's year. I don't understand the "rushed" thing. Also, the game's fucking hard...and I could see it's design/pacing/difficulty level being it's biggest flaw.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You have the charge moves with Jake, the charge grabs...not just talking about the desperations..but yeah the air ones are cool.

The presentation is crazy for it's year. I don't understand the "rushed" thing. Also, the game's fucking hard...and I could see it's design/pacing/difficulty level being it's biggest flaw.

I did not know you could Charge Grab, I might need to revisit the game again. What I mean by rushed is I think the level design could have been better, they could have thrown different enemies at you and not make it feel so repetitive and the bosses could have been designed a little better.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Well violent storm has plenty of the "same enemies" too so beware.

You know why these games use the same enemies over and over (beyond technical reasons)?

So you know how to handle them! But if every enemy has different behavior, and you have to approach each enemy type differently, than fighting an enemy group of "A,A,A" is a lot different than fighting a group of "B,B,B" What about a combination of "A,B,A"? "A,A,B,C,D"? Then change in proximity and placement comes into play.

You get how it's like always a different situation even if you see the "same enemies"?

You have to modify and combine approaches. This is applies to so many action oriented games. Calling the game repetitive sounds super dismissive/short sighted

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Well violent storm has plenty of the "same enemies" too so beware.

You know why these games use the same enemies over and over (beyond technical reasons)?

So you know how to handle them! But if every enemy has different behavior, and you have to approach each enemy type differently, than fighting an enemy group of "A,A,A" is a lot different than fighting a group of "B,B,B" What about a combination of "A,B,A"? "A,A,B,C,D"? Then change in proximity and placement comes into play.

You get how it's like always a different situation even if you see the "same enemies"?

You have to modify and combine approaches. This is applies to so many action oriented games. Calling the game repetitive sounds super dismissive/short sighted

Ahh got it. Similar to Sengoku 3, No? :glee:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I made a rushed and rather unclear post in the pursuit of having a serious discussion.

Yes RAZO, if you're not feeling a particular game after a brief credit fed sesh, then you have the right to call it repetitive, rushed, easy etc.

I won't be foolish enough to promote to you a different way of looking at things again. I mean, they're just video games LOL!

Last edited:

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
Popped in some SNES Capatain Commando damn I forgot how good this game is. My 10 year-old self was a beast at this game my 35 year-old self not so much

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I made a rushed and rather unclear post in the pursuit of having a serious discussion.

Yes RAZO, if you're not feeling a particular game after a brief credit fed sesh, then you have the right to call it repetitive, rushed, easy etc.

I won't be foolish enough to promote to you a different way of looking at things again. I mean, they're just video games LOL!

I know you were kidding, you've never played Sengoku 3, just stare at it, that's if you have it that is.

Very well.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Just finished Violent Storm and this game was off the hook. I enjoyed that late 80's early 90's theme music alot. I like how the game has a great sense of humor. Enemies being squashed like pancakes, falling off the ship in the background. I found all the Boss's to be very well designed and fun to fight against. Will play again for sure.