What Beat 'em Ups are you playing? Daily/Weekly check

DeusVult

Another Striker
still playing AvP, haven't mastered the alien queen yet, but iam getting close, getting a lot further in with my 10 credits, really enjoyable game

daijiro_074

Crazed MVS Addict
i was playing Ninja Combat on NGCD this week, a simple game but really funny, i was playing warriors of fates on Callus too..., i love these two games

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
been playing ninja kids which is part of taito legends. pretty neat beat em up

Yep I just discovered that game a few months ago when I snagged Taito Legends. Me and friend ran through it and yeah it was pretty damn impressive for when it came out. Which IIRC was 91.

DeusVult

Another Striker
still playing AvP, cant master the jump onto the crate at the alien queen yet, but getting further with my 5 credit limit

also playing the punisher

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Been on a kick of late. Played Turtles in Time classic on my Xbox 180 then got challenged by a friend to play the 3d Turtles in Time on 360. Also screwed with X-Men Mutant Apoclipse, Guardian Heroes and. D&D Chronicles of Mystaria. Been looking for a new one to get into.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I'm getting ready to hook up the model one Genny and play some Streets of Rage 2. I also got a Punisher board recently, so I've been going to town on that.

the7k

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Thinking about getting Phantom Breaker for Steam while it's on sale. Looks fun. Just should probably be saving money for arcade repairs/parts.

[OCEAN]

Sakura's Bank Manager
Been playing The King of Dragons since I repaired the board. This is a strange game, really...coming more than a year after Final Fight, the basic gameplay is so much simplistic with no combos and grabs at all.
Yet, the leveling system, character differences, really varied scenery and unique boss battles make it really fun to play, especially in cooperative mode.
Blocking is a novelty too, but you can't really rely on it. Unlike in Knights of the Round, I haven't been able to use if effectively at all.

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
Turtles in time gets play every 1st friday of the month at trade night at a local retro game shop. Been playing the 2 D&D beat em ups on my kids wiiu a lot lately.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Battle circuit . Can't be happier that I got my hands on this gem finally.

battlecircuit-5.png

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
My friend and I played a good deal of Tenchi o Kurau II (Warriors of Fate) for Saturn last night. Some of the bosses are ridiculous.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Probably one of Capcom's finest beat 'em ups and a proper swan song for the genre (from a Capcom perspective, at least).

I couldn't agree more. This game delivers on so many levels. I do believe that when Capcom were developing it someone spiced their coffee with something funny :D coz OMG from the main characters ,the NPCs , the bosses and even the backgrounds... everything is just bad shit crazy ridiculous. This game should be called La-La-Land .

Elder

NEST Puppet
I just finished up Streets of Rage on the glorious Genesis. I'm working on a review of it actually. Was a blast to relieve the glory days of the genre with my significant other, who dislikes games but seems to love beat 'em ups.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've been playing The Peace Keepers lately.

Again, I think the Rushing Beat games are kind of lame, but are filled with great ideas.

I'm really close to the 1cc and I've discovered a few sleazy boss tricks, but I keep screwing up on a few parts.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dude I'd take rushing beat over Galivan Lame Ass Police Officer Squad any day of the week. I just went through those galivan games and I almost cry at how bad they are.

I'm playing Eloquent Fist PSP

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Dude I'd take rushing beat over Galivan Lame Ass Police Officer Squad any day of the week. I just went through those galivan games and I almost cry at how bad they are.

I'm playing Eloquent Fist PSP

I really shouldn't call the Rushing Beat series "lame". But all three games are filled with frustrating issues. I'm shocked that they have a positive of a rep as they do.

Have you watched my Galivan II video? It's riveting.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I wonder why did they add the maze mechanics to Brawl Brothers. It wasn't there in the Japanese Rushing Beat Ran.

novabomb

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
ATM playing Robo Army, pretty nice game, just picked it up and I like it.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I've been playing The Peace Keepers lately.

I bought this used around '95 from EB Games and never really could get into it, although I never have dedicated a lot of playtime to it. After reading about the localization changes done to Japanese version I don't see any reason to play it over the import.

As someone who has spent some time with the game maybe you could help answer; I noticed there are a ton of characters available to pick from with PAR codes. Do any of these have a halfway fleshed out moveset or are any fun to play with? Or are they all just useless garbage?

mr.2jz

n00b
Just started to play:

Undercover Cops
Crime Fighters
Combatatribes

So much fun with these ones. Some of the grabs, and moves you could execute were really good too. Slamming their face into the ground, or kicking them in the groin and having a special 'ding' type sound would go off, and they would be stunned for a few seconds.

There's so many listed in this thread, I look forward to trying new ones and replaying others.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I bought this used around '95 from EB Games and never really could get into it, although I never have dedicated a lot of playtime to it. After reading about the localization changes done to Japanese version I don't see any reason to play it over the import.

As someone who has spent some time with the game maybe you could help answer; I noticed there are a ton of characters available to pick from with PAR codes. Do any of these have a halfway fleshed out moveset or are any fun to play with? Or are they all just useless garbage?

Yeah, the changes in the localization are stupid (music, digitized portraits, altered supers aesthetic changes), but as far as I understand no core mechanics have been changed.

I've only been using Echo/Elfin. Unfortunately I can't give you any insight into all of the other novelty characters, but I'd be shocked if their move sets were "fleshed out".