What are your personal top 10 favorite Horror movies of all time?

Naika

Street Hoop Star
What kind of animal makes an awesome post like THIS????

Well, here they are, in no particular order (with a few reviews from my blog):

The Thing (1982)
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil (2010)
They Live (1988)
City of the Living Dead (1980)
Mr. Vampire (1985)
Prince of Darkness (1987)
Night of the Creeps (1986)
Train to Busan (2016)
Evil Dead 2 (1987)
Sleepaway Camp (1983)

Honorable Mentions:
Us (2019)
Inferno (1980)
The Exorcist (1973)
Suspriria (1977)
The Wailing (2016)
The Shining (1980)
The Evil Dead (1981)
Audition (1999)
Night of the Demons (1988)
The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)
Get Out (2017) - one of the best theater experiences I've had - ESPECIALLY AT THE END.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
WTF is wrong with some of y’all? Terminator & Alien(s), horror movies? GTF out, there might be some scary parts but I wouldn’t classify it as a horror movie. When that rabbit attacks people in Monty Python SFHG, scary yes, horror movie no. I think there is a blurry line between action & horror. To each their own, carry on..

I agree but the first Alien movie was designed to be a horror movie in space. ALIENS is where they went the sci fi adventure rout.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
What kind of animal makes an awesome post like THIS????

Couldn't help myself. Horror movies are a huge passion of mine. Been watching them since the age of 6 when my older sister would rent horror movies regularly from the local mom and pop video store.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
John Carpenter's The Thing
Halloween
Angel Heart

I guess it's not a coincidence that two of my choices, Thing and Angel Heart, revolve around the question of identity.

Jacob's Ladder is one of my favorite movies, but I don't know if I think of it as horror. Because it's creepy but ultimately comforting.

and here's a weird one: the raucous comedy Return of the Living Dead. In general, I'd classify it more as comedy than horror. But it has one brief moment that was absolutely terrifying to me as a kid. Still is, really. Just a piece of an idea, that's all. The rest of the movie is funny. But that one moment planted a seed of existential dread in me that I've never been able to weed out.

Was it the scene with that black liquid tar Zombie? That thing was designed so well. Scared me as a kid a whole lot.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
My favourites aren't particulairly original (The Thing is a perfect movie imo, love Evil Dead 2 etc.) but Hausu (1977) is one of my top 5 favourite movies of all time, on top of being my favourite horror movie.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
My favourites aren't particulairly original (The Thing is a perfect movie imo, love Evil Dead 2 etc.) but Hausu (1977) is one of my top 5 favourite movies of all time, on top of being my favourite horror movie.

Oh man, Hausu is a complete mind fuck
Film makes way more sense if you're stoned. A visual masterpiece.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I'm an exorcist fan. I probably missed it but I haven't seen event horizon on most folks lists.

I dont have a list, but I saw the flesh and the fiends, a Peter Cushing movie that had donald pleasance as a grave robber/ murderer. Pretty decent for an older movie.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
It's illegal to type that and not say what it is.

I love ROTLD everything about it is awesome, the scene with the zombies attacking the van and one of them is midget with no legs or something skittering across the screen really fucked me up as a kid.

Not gonna make a list because it's pointless but will give Cemetery Man a mention. I wish it would get a Blu Ray release.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
WTF is wrong with some of y’all? Terminator & Alien(s), horror movies? GTF out, there might be some scary parts but I wouldn’t classify it as a horror movie. When that rabbit attacks people in Monty Python SFHG, scary yes, horror movie no. I think there is a blurry line between action & horror. To each their own, carry on..

Maybe they were thinking "thrillers" rather than straight up horror, where sci fi and other mind fuckery could be filed under

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Alien is a horror movie. It doesn't matter what you "classify" it as, or if it's not scary or whatever. It's structured as a horror movie. That's not even open to debate.

Mr.Bojangles

War Room Troll
I love ROTLD everything about it is awesome, the scene with the zombies attacking the van and one of them is midget with no legs or something skittering across the screen really fucked me up as a kid.

Not gonna make a list because it's pointless but will give Cemetery Man a mention. I wish it would get a Blu Ray release.

Didnt Arrow Films from the UK make an all region blu ray of Cemetery Man. I could be wrong, but I know in recent years they have been trying to make their discs playable in all formats.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
My favourites would The Thing and The Exorcist.

Other horror movies that I enjoyed but not mentioned:

- The Omen
- In the Mouth of Madness
- The Mist
- Sinister

Forgot about in the mouth of madness. That ones really good.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Return of the Living Dead. In general, I'd classify it more as comedy than horror. But it has one brief moment that was absolutely terrifying to me as a kid. Still is, really. Just a piece of an idea, that's all. The rest of the movie is funny. But that one moment planted a seed of existential dread in me that I've never been able to weed out.

I'm going to guess it's this scene:

"Why do you eat brains?"

"PAIN. The pain of being dead...I can feel myself rot."

edit:
Was it the scene with that black liquid tar Zombie? That thing was designed so well. Scared me as a kid a whole lot.

He said existential dread, you walnut. Use your big fat, juicy brain to figure out Tar Man munching on the punk's head is scary but not existential dread scary.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
After I posted that I was like, wait, I'm LoneSage and he's The Kid - I can just check his canon to be sure I'm right.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...AD-was-great&p=1042512&viewfull=1#post1042512

April 10, 2004:
Yeah, it's a comedy, but the first one has one of the most chilling concepts in a horror movie (to my sensitive imagination).

When they tie the captured zombie down and ask him why the zombies eat brains, he says to ease the pain.

"Ease the pain of what?"

"the pain of being dead..."

"IT HURTS TO BE DEAD...?!!"

I thought about that for a long time as a kid. You're going to spend a lot of time being dead...

Canon updated.

Spiderman 3 file: MISSING

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, there's very little we haven't already covered at some point over the last 15+ years.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Some of yall like some Popcorn horror

- High Tension
- The Loved Ones
- The Descent
- Audition
- Omen(s)
- Last House on the Left
- Event Horizon - ending CG ruins it now, but excellent concept.
- Alien - i agree it is sci fi and horror. and one of my f-Favorite films of all time.
- The Mist - 2007, the ending alone...
- The Thing

honorable mentions
- Wolf Creek - head on a stick
- Hills have Eyes 2006
- Ready or Not - total popcorn, but very good "Last Girl"
- Hostel
- Saw(s) - can argue with the first movie.
- Human Centipede - the cringe is real
- House of 1000 Corpses
- Evil Dead
- Cabin Fever
- Cabin in the Woods

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I fucking forgot to put in Return of the Living Dead. One helluva movie.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
How are these Terminator and Alien films even a debate?

The Terminator and Alien are both scifi-horror.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day and Aliens are both scifi-action.

End of discussion.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

End of discussion.

People who haven't seen the first movies. That's probably how.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Some of yall like some Popcorn horror

- High Tension
I like the idea they had for that movie, but in execution it's full of holes large enough to drive a camper van through. Maybe it's because I guessed the "twist" almost immediately, that I was then able to watch the entire movie seeing all the points that made it impossible for that to be the twist. Until, oops, we're going to ignore all those holes and have that be the twist after all.

A good idea that needed a better writer to flesh it out and make it work. Great atmosphere, though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Get Out (2017) - one of the best theater experiences I've had - ESPECIALLY AT THE END.

When I saw it the first time at home and he rams the girl with the deer head, my thought was "I wish I saw this shit at the theatre".

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

End of discussion.

Aliens is the best Vietnam movie ever made.