What are you playing and what games have you only just 'discovered' on the NGX?

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Not being into fighters, I was mostly familiar with NAM-1975 and Metal Slug. So naturally that's what I've been playing on the NGX...

Recently I've been getting bored with those so thought I'd try to play a few others, and I've discovered that I quite like Cyber Lip and Super Sidekicks. Last Resort isn't too bad, but the jury is definitely still out on Magician Lord and Puzzled (both of which I find too difficult).

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I have played the intro to cyberlip a few times because of all the speech but apart from that just shodown 2 and fatal fury special mainly as not too fussed about the other games as much any more, just hoping for lots of gamecards to be released.

crujones4life

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Good topic. I played through Cyberlip for the first time on this thing. I really liked it. I can see myself playing through it from time to time like I do with Contra for NES. Played through Magician Lord as well. Great game love the music. I play a lot of FFS and SSII. Last resort is too fucking hard (I suck). I own a shit ton of fighters, so I am hoping for non fighters to be among the first releases (unless its MOTW, RBFF2, or SVC).

it is a very simple game and its one dimensional but league bowling is probably the best bowling game i've played. and highly addictive.

tcdev

NEST Puppet
it is a very simple game and its one dimensional but league bowling is probably the best bowling game i've played. and highly addictive.
I had a very quick go when I 1st got the thing, but it didn't grab me immediately. That said, I'll probably give it a second chance as it seems to be a candidate for a quick 'pick up and play'?

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Good topic. I played through Cyberlip for the first time on this thing. I really liked it. I can see myself playing through it from time to time like I do with Contra for NES. Played through Magician Lord as well. Great game love the music.
I generally don't play a lot of run 'n' gun, although Metal Slug is definitely an exception. My preference is generally platformer and shooter, so I was pleasantly surprised with Cyber-Lip! I can see Magician Lord has potential; I just wish it wasn't so damn difficult! Hanging out for the other Neo Geo shooters, Top Hunter, and I quite like the Shock Trooper games... as others have said, hopefully they're made available soon and reasonably priced!

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
This gave me a lot of games I'd been meaning to add to my collection, as well as introduce me to some new ones but there are 3 I've been playing more than the rest. I've got Fatal Fury Real Bout on my NeoCD, and I've been wanting to play FF Real Bout Special. I've been pretty hooked into that game of late, and Ninja Master's, while being completely new to me, has surprisngly hooked me! I really dig its combat system, and being able to sheathe or draw your weapon on command I thought was really cool, setting it apart from Samurai Shodown. Super Sidekicks is.. well, I love me some Super Sidekicks. I can't stop, and I get SO into that game I don't allow myself to play it in public when I'm gaming on the go. I get very intensely into it and yell at it too much! I've never played a lot of the shooters on here before, or Puzzled, all of which I have a good time with. Cyber Lip especially took me by surprise with it's addictiveness. Baseball Stars and League Bowling just cement my affrimation that SNK made the only sports games I would ever truly enjoy at a level that makes me jump and yell like a real sport-ball fan. Naturally there is SO much I want to be released for this system (Gimme KoF 97 and Super Sidekicks 3, dammit!) but right now, I'm having a great time with the pack in selection.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Played through Magician Lord as well. Great game love the music.
My GOD yes, I catch myself humming music from that a lot. And telling things to 'BE DEAD DOWN THERE' because that guy (his name escapes me right now) is awesome.

I've been playing a lot of Metal Slug, League Bowling, Samurai Shodown II, and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special lately!

As far as pleasant "discoveries", I'd count Cyber Lip, Mutation Nation, Ninja Master's, World Heroes Perfect, and RBFFS as games I hadn't played before and have really enjoyed.

Let-downs have been Last Resort and Alpha Mission 2. I love shmups but there are more fun ones out there for NEO GEO, in my opinion.

And yes, I agree with many of you - Magician Lord and Puzzled! start out fun but quickly become too difficult. Obviously designed to munch all the quarters.

Last edited:

mlloyd

Morden's Lackey
Great thread tcdev! Discoveries for me has to be Super Side Kicks and Ninja Masters!!! I love Ninja Masters but can't get enough of Super Side Kicks, so much fun!!!! Really enjoying Cyber Lip too.

Superdanx

Goal! Goal! Goal!
10 Year Member
You need to give Last Resort another chance.

I've been playing a lot of Metal Slug, League Bowling, Samurai Shodown II, and Real Bout Fatal Fury Special lately!

As far as pleasant "discoveries", I'd count Cyber Lip, Mutation Nation, Ninja Master's, World Heroes Perfect, and RBFFS as games I hadn't played before and have really enjoyed.

Let-downs have been Last Resort and Alpha Mission 2. I love shmups but there are more fun ones out there for NEO GEO, in my opinion.

And yes, I agree with many of you - Magician Lord and Puzzled! start out fun but quickly become too difficult. Obviously designed to munch all the quarters.

Liq_Wurm

Krauser's Henchman
I'll also put my vote in for super sidekick, I had never played any of them before the ngx, but i find myself playing that game more then any other on the NGX.

Neo x

War Room Troll
Super sidekicks and mutation nation have rocked my entire world.

gamesboro

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've mentioned it before, but I've got to say the one that really caught me by surprise was 3 Count Bout. I dig the music, the timing of the gameplay, and especially the tag team mode. Awesome game to play with friends. If this was a 4 player game it would be perfect.

The one I had played before and love is KOF 95. While I like some of the newer ones a lot more, this one is still a lot of fun. The difficulty seems to be random oddly enough. If the computer wants to win it will win by any means necessary. I'm guessing this is from its arcade roots. I still can't beat Rugal. That guy is a complete dick!

tcdev

NEST Puppet
Seems like Super Sidekicks is picking up a few new fans courtesy of the NGX! I must say that I much prefer the 'pick up and play' sports games over the deeper simulations that you need to invest a lot of time in learning.

Both Last Resort & Alpha Mission II are frustrating for me because they have so much potential, but let down by the gameplay mechanics. I'm hoping they release the other shmups.

I'd totally forgotten about Ninja Masters; it's still un-opened. Is it worth cracking the seal for a non-fighter gamer like me?

If you are a non-fighter gamer than I think Ninja Masters is not your kind of game. You can keep that one in the seal (maybe it will be a collector item in the future)

I hope that they will release Blazing Star and Strikers 1945+ on it! Those are mine 2x favourite Shmups.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
Add me to the list for Super Sidekicks as well.. Also Neo Turf Masters.. I never played sports games of any kind when I was younger so I just overlooked these... Neo Turf Masters is fucking amazing..

Add me to the list for Super Sidekicks as well.. Also Neo Turf Masters.. I never played sports games of any kind when I was younger so I just overlooked these... Neo Turf Masters is fucking amazing..

Indeed Neo Turf Masters is really a very funny Golf game. Normally I never play a lot sport games, but that one is just so much fun, that I played it in the old days regurlary on mine AES system. Since I don't own the game anymore more it would be great to see it also on the NGX