What arcade stick do you own?

Paik4Life

Armored Scrum Object
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Posts
256
rassilon: Good points. The look and size is definitely a personal choice. As far as price, HRAPs definitely go for more than $50 in Japan. New HRAP version 2 go for around 8,000 yen (~70 USD) or more on Yahoo Japan.
http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g44513836

You might be able to snag a used one at around 5,000 yen if you're lucky but you're probably looking closer to 7,000 yen (~60 USD).
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d65144484

EDIT: For those of you who want an HRAP, VGO is having a Labor Day sale. $69+$11 shipping until 11:59pm on Monday. Go nuts, HRAP fans.
http://www.vgonetwork.com/article.aspx?id=181

Oddly enough, HRAP 2s are around 14,000 yen (~120 USD) which is close to the price we get in the US.
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m35195357

SA and SE usually go for around 18,000 yen. None of these include shipping either. Although addmittedly it's cheaper to ship within Japan than it is to ship within the US. Here is one auction that is selling a "set" of SA/SE. I don't know how many is in a "set" but it's starts at 75,000 and has a buy it now of 90,000 yen. It's times like these, it would be nice to be fluent in Japanese : )
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e59111722

~Paik
 
Last edited:

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Joined
Sep 4, 2003
Posts
923
As of this March, i was seeing HRAP(1)s at shops in tokyo for around 5700 yen new.

whether that has gone up since, or people are just getting ripped on auctions I dont know.

And the HRAP2 is 8300 yen (including tax) direct from Hori. I dunno if anyone has actually tried to order direct from overseas or not.

The special addition/edition are not, and never were, available in stores, so the auction prices go way up. I wanted to get one of each when i lived in Japan, but i didnt catch on that they were limited/direct from hori until it was too late.

But regardless of if its $50 or $100, its still better than anything else you'll get without spending a lot more on a custom stick.
 

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Posts
1,383
I may have a few to auction off soon...

A Hori original, an old style neo with Sanwa (modded by Dub)
and a turbo feature 360 optical MAS...

I thinking of getting a twin custom setup, maybe offset these for the cost ?
I'll post when good to go.
 

stealth

do not deal with this person
Joined
Jul 6, 2005
Posts
127
Stellaking said:
I may have a few to auction off soon...

A Hori original, an old style neo with Sanwa (modded by Dub)
and a turbo feature 360 optical MAS...

I thinking of getting a twin custom setup, maybe offset these for the cost ?
I'll post when good to go.
Let me know what you want for the sanwa modded& mas stick.

your pm box is full.....again:)
 

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2001
Posts
3,221
i recently bought 2 DOA 4 joysticks for the 360, i've been using them on my laptop...

So far they have pretty good response (buttons and Stick) however, I think the stick is a bit too lose. I would have to reuse my friend's Tekken 5 stick to compare them better.

But, either way, it has very good response.

Would a mod be a good idea?
 

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Posts
2,284
jeff bogard said:
i recently bought 2 DOA 4 joysticks for the 360, i've been using them on my laptop...

So far they have pretty good response (buttons and Stick) however, I think the stick is a bit too lose. I would have to reuse my friend's Tekken 5 stick to compare them better.

But, either way, it has very good response.

Would a mod be a good idea?

Swapping the joystick would be good. Swapping the butttons is too much work. I tryed it and I winded up swapping the PCB, with a Sony PCB.

One word of advice, if you swap the stick, re-use the stock joystick shaft. The Sanwa Shaft sits too high, and it feels awkward.
 

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Joined
Jan 3, 2006
Posts
1,383
see dub innit ?

I hear he can mod a stick to great effect.
 
Last edited:

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Posts
2,284
jeff bogard said:
i can deal with the buttons....

the stick, although doable, i know it can get better.

where can i get sanway parts?

or, what do you recommend from this site for that stick in particular?

http://www.starcab.net/index.php?cPath=23_68

Try here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=36770.0

Good price for a Sanwa Stick, and it includes the 5 pin harness.

Akihabara.com and Himuragames.com sells them, but you will pay much more.

Edit: as far as your link, the JLF-TP stick is the one you want.

Full description: Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y.
 
Last edited:

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2001
Posts
3,221
BTW what makes it a better stick than the one for DOA 4?

(is it less loose?)
 

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
1,281
Andyh said:
Just picked up the same stick myself from Vinh, best ive used to date !
Heh he...nice one..got mine from the same guy!!!
 

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Posts
2,284
jeff bogard said:
BTW what makes it a better stick than the one for DOA 4?

(is it less loose?)

It's about the same tension, but Sanwa sticks are just better overall. It's like comparing a stock X-Arcade stick to a Happ Super or Competition stick. Happs are better.
 

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Posts
2,393
HRAP1 v1.

I like the HRAP1... But the HRAP2's SF2/3 friendly layout....
 

taitai

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Posts
2,393
jeff bogard said:
is there any significant difference between hrap and hrap2?

Yes.

The HRAP1's layout is the PS Hori fighting stick + Sanwa stick and non-crap buttons(not sanwa, not crappy plunger buttons either). The PS Hori fighting stick is the neo fighting stick with the button layout mirrored on the bottom for use with SF style games.

The HRAP2 is an entirely different button layout similar to AstroCity layouts AFAIK.
 

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2001
Posts
3,221
taitai said:
Yes.

The HRAP1's layout is the PS Hori fighting stick + Sanwa stick and non-crap buttons(not sanwa, not crappy plunger buttons either). The PS Hori fighting stick is the neo fighting stick with the button layout mirrored on the bottom for use with SF style games.

The HRAP2 is an entirely different button layout similar to AstroCity layouts AFAIK.


but aside from the layout, would hrap2>hrap1?

cause i know hrap2 has really good quality material inside. and i've heard hrap1s being modded and nothing so far of hrap2....

anyway, would it be worth it for me to get hrap2, since i already have hrap1?
 

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Joined
Jun 14, 2004
Posts
2,284
jeff bogard said:
but aside from the layout, would hrap2>hrap1?

cause i know hrap2 has really good quality material inside. and i've heard hrap1s being modded and nothing so far of hrap2....

anyway, would it be worth it for me to get hrap2, since i already have hrap1?

It's all about personal preference. This is what I know. I only own a HRAP2, but I heard HRAP1 stock buttons have a Spongy feel. The HRAP2 stock buttons are a little bit more stiff. Not too much, but when you try it out, it's a little noticeable.

I knew I was going to swap out the buttons, so personally I didn't care. I like the HRAP2 layout better, than the HRAP1 layout. Plus I didn't like the mirror finish. But if you check VGO (SRk store) they are supposedly selling the HRAP1 with a White Top. Otherthan the button layout, I can't imagine any difference. Both come with Sanwa sticks.
 

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Joined
Sep 4, 2003
Posts
923
jeff bogard said:
but aside from the layout, would hrap2>hrap1?

cause i know hrap2 has really good quality material inside. and i've heard hrap1s being modded and nothing so far of hrap2....

anyway, would it be worth it for me to get hrap2, since i already have hrap1?
As far as i know, the only difference is the button layout and the color.
I have 2 of each, and the buttons/stick feels the same on either. I havent opened up the HRAP2 yet, so i dont know if there are any internal differences. I dont think so though.

I like em both. I prefer the HRAP1 over the 2 for standard neo-geo games (not KoF or similar LP HP/LK HK layouts), as the 4 buttons across the top of the HRAP2 curve downwards towards "D".
If that makes any sense at all...
It wouldnt make me pick one over the other, but since i have both i can be picky :D
 

Rassilon

Angel's Love Slave
Joined
Sep 4, 2003
Posts
923
zapatistab said:
It's all about personal preference. This is what I know. I only own a HRAP2, but I heard HRAP1 stock buttons have a Spongy feel. The HRAP2 stock buttons are a little bit more stiff. Not too much, but when you try it out, it's a little noticeable.

I knew I was going to swap out the buttons, so personally I didn't care. I like the HRAP2 layout better, than the HRAP1 layout. Plus I didn't like the mirror finish. But if you check VGO (SRk store) they are supposedly selling the HRAP1 with a White Top. Otherthan the button layout, I can't imagine any difference. Both come with Sanwa sticks.
I believe Later HRAP1s have the same style top as the HRAP2 (The kind of machined metal look).
At least, the one i got from play-asia or somewhere a few months ago did.
 
Top