What anime are you watching?

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I thought I was going to hate it, but I actually enjoyed R.O.D. Just finished watching the blu-ray set last month. Also keeping up with JoJo on Cruncyroll

Fan service aside R.O.D. is great, especially the OVA. I tried watching Terraformers the other day but I don't think I can finish it. For one it's censored on Crunchyroll and two the roach creatures look so much like the old comic book character The Tick it's distracting to me.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I just finished Garden of Sinners including Recalled Out Summer. It's a pretty random show that has some great action scenes, but is mainly concerned with the messed-up psychologies of its characters. There's some extreme gore as well, but it comes and goes as randomly as the action. Very inconsistent plot, but it's usually interesting despite that. I think the price kind of ruins this one; the show is good enough that it would be a diamond in the rough if it ever showed up in a bargain bin or S.A.V.E. version. Even with the cheapskate JP blu version including EN subs running around $250 shipped, though, this series isn't worth that much. The JP version of Recalled Out Summer has no subs, so you'd have to tack on the price of the localized version in order to complete the series.

Last edited:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I'm very happy that I was able to snag a "cheapskate" :p version of GoS earlier in the year. I still have a handful of the movies left, including Recalled. Trying not to blow through it too fast.

I love this Fart/Stay stuff. Tsukihime is one of the best shows I've seen.

Last edited:

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I just finished watching Sora no Woto last week and it was pretty great. Slice of life + coming of age with a majestic backdrop and excellent music. The characters are all younger so some people might write it off as a moeblob drama but I think they are all distinct and solid characters as the show progresses. The music in the show (and music itself) plays an integral part in the storytelling.

It's 14 episodes in total (one in the middle is a mid-season extra episode) so very easy to watch and finish. The second-to-last episode was a wonderful culmination of the series, showcasing the growth of the characters and the world itself, it almost brought me to tears actually. The final episode was also a great wrap for the story and everyone as well. I'd recommend it to a lot of folks, if anything give the opening extended episode a try and see what you think.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
Jojo finished out fantastic. Im not sure they needed to drag it out to 48 episodes, some of those 2 parters were a chore to get through (steely dan/ the lovers etc.) Great final fight with Jotaro and Dio. Im hoping they keep going since I know nothing of the other volumes.

I also started Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon. So far not too bad, has an RPG feel to it much like Sword Art, fairly violent but also a bit of tongue in cheek. Anyone who likes SAO will probably dig this one too. Now that Jojo is over this has become the only current show I'm watching.

and I'm still chugging away at the Rurouni Kenshin backlog.

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Jojo finished out fantastic. Im not sure they needed to drag it out to 48 episodes, some of those 2 parters were a chore to get through (steely dan/ the lovers etc.) Great final fight with Jotaro and Dio. Im hoping they keep going since I know nothing of the other volumes.

Please read the manga.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

97a.jpg

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
currently I'm watching...

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
(never gave it much of a chance being a "purist")

Attack on Titan

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
currently I'm watching...

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
(never gave it much of a chance being a "purist")

Attack on Titan
Gives ya a complete story and all but i still think bgc ova character designs and music is much better.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Kimagure Orange Road
This is the most 80s anime I have ever seen it is so awesome

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
I've watched some damn good ones recently like: kill la kill, attack on titan, from up on poppy hill, a wind rises and others. Currently watching "your lie in april" on crunchyroll

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Gives ya a complete story and all but i still think bgc ova character designs and music is much better.

Agreed. For me the original OVA series and Bubblegum Crash to some lesser extent IS Bubblegum Crisis, but I decided to pickup 2040 afterall. Of course I collect VHS tapes (prefer VHS to Bluray) so I want the entire series on VHS subbed. I picked up the middle of the series (5) tapes for $5.00.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
why do you prefer an inferior format

I believe I mentioned this sometime back, but I think by then you'd already given me the axe on FB. :keke:

I'm only posting there sporadically myself now these days too.

In answer to your query:

I've never been conventional in "anything" I do from about age 6 on, so this isn't surprising to me at all, the fact that I PREFER VHS to Bluray. Bottom line is this. Now some almost 30 years after VHS being THE format, we have Bluray. This is something in which one can truly compare "differences" to. For me Bluray is too bright and too glossy looking. Especially when viewed on the proper flatscreen HDTV. I personally like the odd grainy look in the playback that VHS has along with comparing it to Bluray or DVD, are muted color tones instead of something so vibrant and glossy. To me all that fidelity just isn't necessary and it looks surreal when watching live action movies. This is why outside of the flatscreen HDTV my girlfriend has, I only watch stuff on 33inch CRT Standard Definition Box TVs as well. Well, if I prefer VHS and I play Retro games (mostly 16-Bit MEGA DRIVE) 97% of the time with only 3% of my gaming being PS3 (and I will never buy a PS4 or anything after PS3), then it makes sense to rock the CRTs. It's just my preference is all. I'm proud of the VHS tape collection I have amassed just since early 2014 as well. I still own and watch DVDs and even own a few Blurays, but it's when there's no other way/choice.

I don't expect you to understand LoneSage, but I'm not alone out here in this eccentric sub culture either.

IMG_20150604_214024.jpg

IMG_20150604_214445.jpg

IMG_20150604_215136.jpg

IMG_20150604_215251.jpg

IMG_20150604_214249.jpg

and that's just some of it.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
You are definitely not alone. A lot of people still collect anime on VHS and LD and a lot of people prefer the look. Especially LD with anime, it has such a good look with animation and doesn't have that digital choppy lines you get with dvd. The animation looks smoother and brings out the hand drawn look. The biggest VHS collectors are probably the horror movie fans. There's just a certain quality VHS gives that looks perfect for the era and genre. People even try to mimic the style with filters now a days but it's never the same as watching a VHS on a CRT. That's the way I watched it back then and I just never stopped. This isn't a new "hipster" thing too like a lot of people say about VHS resurgence, many of us just never stopped using the format.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
You are definitely not alone. A lot of people still collect anime on VHS and LD and a lot of people prefer the look. Especially LD with anime, it has such a good look with animation and doesn't have that digital choppy lines you get with dvd. The animation looks smoother and brings out the hand drawn look. The biggest VHS collectors are probably the horror movie fans. There's just a certain quality VHS gives that looks perfect for the era and genre. People even try to mimic the style with filters now a days but it's never the same as watching a VHS on a CRT. That's the way I watched it back then and I just never stopped. This isn't a new "hipster" thing too like a lot of people say about VHS resurgence, many of us just never stopped using the format.

Well sad to say I DID abandon the format (VHS) in favor of Laser Disc around 1995, but after owning that, Video CD/VCD... DVD... Bluray.

*I CAME BACK TO VHS* it's really the best format IMO. for me anyhow. But I'm glad to know there are many around me who also are into the analog formats as well. I didn't do it to be a hipster, it's more like I refound that there was never anything wrong with what we grew up on. Just like for audio playback, I have CDs for my vehicle and I rock either a 1989 G.E. Cassetteman or a 1983 SANYO G-37 Tape Cassetteman, when I'm on the go. People think I'm nuts for getting back into cassette tapes too. I even make my own of modern artists.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
You are definitely not alone. A lot of people still collect anime on VHS and LD and a lot of people prefer the look.

A lot of people collect LaserDisc. Only morons collect VHS and think either of the two formats are in any way whatsoever superior to Blu-ray.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Agreed. For me the original OVA series and Bubblegum Crash to some lesser extent IS Bubblegum Crisis, but I decided to pickup 2040 afterall. Of course I collect VHS tapes (prefer VHS to Bluray) so I want the entire series on VHS subbed. I picked up the middle of the series (5) tapes for $5.00.
Nice man,i remember when bgc was first released on vhs $30.00+ to for each tape ouch.Which was allot to buy anime in the 90's if i remember right.Recently the bubblegum crisis ova was released on bluray.Still given it's price i'm fine with just having the dvd release.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Nice man,i remember when bgc was first released on vhs $30.00+ to for each tape ouch.Which was allot to buy anime in the 90's if i remember right.Recently the bubblegum crisis ova was released on bluray.Still given it's price i'm fine with just having the dvd release.

Yeah, one thing I don't miss is the cost of anime VHS tapes back in the 90s. I had like a handful and would rent/dub stuff from Blockbuster if they got something new, it wasn't until college when I discovered swap clubs and stuff like that.

Props on that Urusei Yatsura collection, that is a huge number of VHS. AnimEigo brought over some awesome titles back then. I actually just backed their Kickstarter remaster of Otaku no Video on Bluray.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I love this Fart/Stay stuff. Tsukuhime is one of the best shows I've seen.
Right, it's all quality stuff, just need to find a way around the pricejacking. I remember Tsukihime being good, but not long enough, and I still have the DVDs around here somewhere... should really re-watch it one of these days.

I'll second both BGC 2040 and BGC classic as great shows regardless of the format you watch them in. Moving along, I just finished up Time of EVE: The Movie. It's a light, slice-of-life drama that is set in the world/time of Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot" including the 3 laws. It is much closer to the book than the Hollywood movie, though, in that it is concerned completely with analyzing the behavior of robots/androids and has little to no action to speak of. I enjoyed it, but I would call it a treat for Asimov fans and a snoozer for action fans.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
A lot of people collect LaserDisc. Only morons collect VHS and think either of the two formats are in any way whatsoever superior to Blu-ray.

Laser Disc is still Analog just like VHS though, only a slightly higher fidelity in playback and it's susceptible to laser rot at that due to the epoxy used in the biding of the discs that don't bode well over time with the fibers of what makes up the actual disc itself, if left in not "ideal" storage and not taken care of properly. VHS has a similar problem with it degrading over time due to the emultion being slowly taken off the actual tape onto the VHS Player heads, which is why I don't intend to watch and re-watch my VHS movies and anime again and again and again and again and again... it's something that gets viewed twice a year if that. I can't speak for anyone else who collects VHS, so maybe those people are doing it to be "hipsters" or really think it's superior to Bluray. I don't think it's superior, but it's what I prefer. It's nice to know I'm a moron though.

:keke:

Yeah, the prices of anime (especially anime) were insane back in the day. When VHS was the format a regular tape was $21.55 after sales tax here in Texas, anime was indeed the $30.00 asking price for ONE damn episode. In 2015 most people don't want that old ass format and that's great for people like me who prefer the format to everything else. Stuff that was $25 - $35.00 a piece I get for $1.00USD. Sometimes you can get stuff for as cheap as .50cents a tape. I've literally gone into a place and spent $60.00 and came out with 89 VHS tapes. Currently my personal Retro Roost/Game Room (AREA 99) looks like a Video Rental store from the late 1980s or mid 1990s, and I'm damn near running out of space to be honest. For me DVD and Bluray is for TV Shows, VHS is for movies up till the last "official" release from Hollywood in 2005 which was the movie A History of Violence. ---I've toyed with the idea of doing DVD to VHS (with a video stabilizer go-between to deal with Macrovision and differing polarities that make the playback image go dark or too bright and stuff) of current films like DRIVE, RAMBO 4 complete with customized inserts for clam shell VHS cases, but have yet to do it. I'm concentrating on AHL (Analog Hero Limited) releases on cassette tapes with custom semi-pro J-Cards instead, and I've got a waiting list six pages back in a notebook of people wanting copies, but I won't charge for it since I don't have the rights to the music, it's something I do in my spare time for Analog Heroes (what I call us eccentric Analog people who aren't "Digital" much).

This is my current setup that I LOVE and everyone can keep their Flatscreen HDTVs. But that's just me.

IMG_20150629_050540.jpg

Yeah, one thing I don't miss is the cost of anime VHS tapes back in the 90s. I had like a handful and would rent/dub stuff from Blockbuster if they got something new, it wasn't until college when I discovered swap clubs and stuff like that.

Props on that Urusei Yatsura collection, that is a huge number of VHS. AnimEigo brought over some awesome titles back then. I actually just backed their Kickstarter remaster of Otaku no Video on Bluray.

Thanks.

I got lucky on the Urusei Yatsura collection there. There's a store here in SATX that WAS selling VHS (the owner is going to sit on the product again for about 5 years before selling again, he knows his clientele and the market and VHS Collecting is picking up steam, it won't ever be like collecting Vinyl but it's picking up momentum and stuff I'm getting for no more than $2.00 will be $10.00 a tape in about 5 to 6 years, rare stuff Oop that's $50.00 to $80.00 will be $100+ in that time as well), had picked up a collection from someone's private collection which was the TV series Volumes 1 - 19 all the OVAs and all the Movies. Animiego only released 25 Volumes on VHS of the TV series (no idea if that was the complete run or not but I think it was), so I only need 6 tapes to be complete, saw that and got that whole bundle for $115.00USD. Each tape was $30.00 back in the day, so that was a fucking steal for me. My Record of Lodoss War collections were donated/given to me and in mint condition for the most part. I'm the guy everyone knows still likes VHS, so a lot just give shit away and I cherry pick what I need and sell and or donate to others getting into collecting VHS.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Right, it's all quality stuff, just need to find a way around the pricejacking.

Nothing to do about it with Garden of Sinners. The North American DVD set is long gone. German and French Blu-ray releases don't have useful subs. There's a UK DVD set if you can do PAL.