Well it took 8 years but I guess it had to happen eventually...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I am fairly sure calling a bootleg a "conversion" is a stretch even by this communities standards as I seriously doubt this is a MVS converted cart.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
Even if there was a lot of work done to them; and they are using half legit hardware, I pretty much consider conversions the same as bootlegs, multicarts or stuff like Iron Clad. Sure it runs the game as good as the original, but there's no way in hell I would pay serious money for one!

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Even if there was a lot of work done to them; and they are using half legit hardware, I pretty much consider conversions the same as bootlegs, multicarts or stuff like Iron Clad. Sure it runs the game as good as the original, but there's no way in hell I would pay serious money for one!

I'm with you. Conversions and repros make sense if they're a cheap alternative to the real thing, but people always want outrageous amounts for them. A friend of mine contacted a seller and confronted him about this fact. The guy said the rarity and high market value of the original justifies charging $150 for basically a reprogrammed common-as-dirt game. That's some pretty twisted logic.

That said, they wouldn't do this if it didn't work. Somebody's buying this stuff...

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I disagree. AES Conversions are bull crap!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I like how the one who claims to do professional conversions can't spell the word "professional."

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
I like how the one who claims to do professional conversions can't spell the word "professional."

LOL! No shit right? :D

Either way, when I meant discuss I didn't mean discuss the fact that he is calling it a conversion. It is obviously not a conversion, but just a bootleg. I meant discuss the fact the fucker is selling a boot of Last Hope AES which I don't think anyone has done before. Which means the buyer will more than likely be dumping the game and then releasing the rom on the net. I thought this might be news unless everyone already owns the rom. :P I wonder if NG Dev Team can sue his ass for copyright infringement?

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The difference with repros is that the people who make them don't try to pass them off as originals on other gaming formats. Usually they have a bunch of things on the product to show it isn't an original. In the Neo Geo scene, no one does that. If you are gonna do a Neo Geo repro, make a different insert with completely different art from the original, different manual and different cart sticker but the cart must have original SNK chips inside, if not it's just another boot. Of course, if you can get licensing for a certain game then even better.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The difference with repros is that the people who make them don't try to pass them off as originals on other gaming formats. Usually they have a bunch of things on the product to show it isn't an original. In the Neo Geo scene, no one does that. If you are gonna do a Neo Geo repro, make a different insert with completely different art from the original, different manual and different cart sticker but the cart must have original SNK chips inside, if not it's just another boot. Of course, if you can get licensing for a certain game then even better.

And that lies in the problem. The people making conversions or "repros" in the Neo scene are trying to maximize their profit. Mainly due to being dirtbags no doubt.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
There is no possible comparison between "repros" for SNES or Mega Drive to the Neo Geo conversions and/or bootlegs.

Most SNES/MD carts ( I'm stating those because they are mainly more common ) only use one simple mask rom, and
most of them have less chip legs than any Neo Geo rom.

De-soldering, a Neo Geo cart is a pain in the ass.
The hassle takes a lot of work to do it properly.
You have to do it like twice. Desoldering the main game and also the donors.

In the other hand, Mega Drive / Snes carts just need to have a single mask rom
replaced, that just need to be programmed with a blank Eprom.

1 Neo Geo conversion = +- the same amount of work of 10 repro's or more.

It's NOT worth the hassle if you ask me, unless it's for gaining experience in electronics ( which is kinda cool btw ).

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It takes skill and good tools to not fuck up a Neo Geo conversion, or even a repair. The average conversion involves 20 - 30 chips, counting both donor carts.

For people who consistently do lots of conversions like that, hats off to them. I look at conversion releases like Strikers 1945 and Prehistoric Isle 2 and cringe at the thought of that CHAFIO board.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
NG: DEV never made the mvs version of the original Last Hope, only as homecart and NGCD. This is a bootleg with non-original eproms and not a conversion from an original mvs cart.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yup, and that's the problem with the Neo side. Fakes are getting way too good now that you really have to rely on provenance to prove it's real.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire

They do this with almost all arcade stuff. I've seen it with Naomi carts and ST-V carts.

Hell, I even bought an Osman pcb that turned out to be a fake when it arrived. There was nothing in the item listing indicating that. And when I called the seller on it he played dumb, even sending me a message in broken English. Great.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
NG: DEV never made the mvs version of the original Last Hope, only as homecart and NGCD. This is a bootleg with non-original eproms and not a conversion from an original mvs cart.

Is it possible that they're using the Dreamcast rom if the AES rom was never dumped?

Last edited:

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
Is it possible that they're using the Dreamcast rom if the AES rom was never dumped?

There's no way that the DC version is a rom. It's a proper port, and not emulation. As such, porting back the game to NG would be quite a feat.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
They're using the AES rom dump. It's been around since 2006. The original AES carts are just eproms and sac carts, this is why NGDEV wanted to get new PCBs made for future releases, cart shells and snaps so they don't have to sac any more carts for future releases.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
They do this with almost all arcade stuff. I've seen it with Naomi carts and ST-V carts.

Hell, I even bought an Osman pcb that turned out to be a fake when it arrived. There was nothing in the item listing indicating that. And when I called the seller on it he played dumb, even sending me a message in broken English. Great.

From Korea I assume? Drkitty was selling boot Osmans just last year, and prolly still is.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I take it the Last Hope AES romset is privately circulated? I can't find it anywhere online.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
in beginning NGdev team propose to convert one of your AES (Kof 95 or FFS ?) for have an discount no ?