Visit Detroit at your own risk, police union warns

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Well lets not play ignorant here, we all know how much of a forgotten to be avoided at all cost shit hole Detroit is. To be actually officially told by the law enforcement responsible for policing Detroit to avoid entering if you value your life is something else.

Fuck where is robo when you need him, I'll take the shitting remake version even.

The Detroit Police Officers Association is warning citizens and out-of-towners that they enter Detroit at their own risk, saying that the "grossly understaffed" and overworked police force cannot adequately protect the public in the increasingly violent city.

Follow @NBCNewsUS

“Detroit is America’s most violent city, its homicide rate is the highest in the country and yet the Detroit Police Department is grossly understaffed,” DPOA Attorney Donato Iorio told WWJ over the weekend. “The DPOA believes that there is a war in Detroit, but there should be a war on crime, not a war on its officers.”
Advertise | AdChoices

The most dangerous cities in America

An analysis of the FBI's Uniform Crime Report data from 24/7 Wall St. indicates that Detroit actually has the second-highest violent crime rate in the country, behind Flint, Mich. Homicide increased by 11 percent in 2011, while robbery and aggravated assault are fourth- and second-highest in the country, respectively, according to the report.

This summer, city leaders cut the police department's 2012-13 budget by $75 million, to about $340 million, in an attempt to reduce the city's deficits, the Detroit Free Press reported. That forced the department to draw up a budget that will result in the loss of 380 positions through attrition and early retirement.

Iorio told WWJ hundreds of officers have left the department since the start of summer.

"Officers are leaving simply because they can’t afford to stay in Detroit and work 12-hour shifts for what they are getting paid," Iorio told WWJ. "These police officers are beyond demoralized. ... They can no longer afford to stay on the department and protect the public,” he said.

According to the DPOA's manifesto, Detroit police are the lowest paid of any big city and have to work in what Iorio describes as "deplorable, dangerous and war-like conditions." About a month ago, a judge refused to block the pay cuts for the officers.

"The state treasurer has threatened Detroit Police Officers with another 10% wage cut for going to court to protect their rights," the DPOA manifesto reads.

“The explosion in violent crime, the incredible spike in the number of homicides and for officers trying to work 12 hours in such deplorable, dangerous and war like conditions is simple untenable,” Iorio told WWJ.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Maybe when Delta City is finally completed it will be inhabitable. One of Detroits worst gang used to have one of the best names for a crew"The Best Friends". Gary Indiana ain't got shit on Detroit.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Oh that's awesome. Makes me wish I could suit up, grab some guns and go vigilante, GTA style! :mr_t:

Not really though, I don't want to take a bullet. Ever.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Oh that's awesome. Makes me wish I could suit up, grab some guns and go vigilante, GTA style! :mr_t:

Not really though, I don't want to take a bullet. Ever.

i wish i could say that it depends on where you get shot, but even a minor graze burns/stings like crazy.

:spock:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
i wish i could say that it depends on where you get shot, but even a minor graze burns/stings like crazy.

:spock:

You sound as if you speak from experience.

Sorry buddy. :crying:

I cannot imagine what it's like to have a scorching hot piece of metal tearing through my flesh at high speed. T3h sux, for sure.

EllertMichael

Mickey's Coach

Seriously, that's fucked.

I know the "city leaders" have a job to do, but cutting the Police force's already shitty budget in America's most violent city...

I mean, hopefully this is just the Police Union being a little over dramatic in an attempt to reduce budget cuts...

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Maybe I'm not exactly well-educated on this topic, but I thought that the traditional responce to a police department's insufficiency in times of high rates of crime was for the government to announce emergency and request the state or federal government's assistance in the appearance of the National Guard.

I mean, perhaps martial law is one of those things that a local leader does not want on his list of actions while in an elected position, but even if Detroit's city government no longer had control of the city's direction, could it really be much worse than what previous manoeuvres have brought to its people?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
RoboCop is a dream, but what they really need is Charles Bronson.

039_8514charles-bronson-posters.jpg

Marek

Banned
On topic: This is no different than how it has been in Memphis for years.

The suburbs are safe for whitey. If you are black in the suburbs, expect to be pulled over and racially harassed. Memphis police cannot protect black people from other black people in the ghettos so they have stopped enforcing laws in the violent sections of town. In their minds its not worth their pig life to stop blacks from hurting one another.

Granted Detroit is worse I'm sure, but this whole concept of a lame duck police force has been on display in the Southeast for a long time. Memphis, Atlanta, etc.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
On topic: This is no different than how it has been in Memphis for years.

The suburbs are safe for whitey. If you are black in the suburbs, expect to be pulled over and racially harassed. Memphis police cannot protect black people from other black people in the ghettos so they have stopped enforcing laws in the violent sections of town. In their minds its not worth their pig life to stop blacks from hurting one another.

Granted Detroit is worse I'm sure, but this whole concept of a lame duck police force has been on display in the Southeast for a long time. Memphis, Atlanta, etc.

yup.

In Baltimore, after dark, they will just put police barricades in front of roads into bad neighborhoods with a sign that says police won't go past this point.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I read somewhere that East St.Louis is even worse than Detroit...

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
yup.

In Baltimore, after dark, they will just put police barricades in front of roads into bad neighborhoods with a sign that says police won't go past this point.

wow that seems like something from a movie, I honestly didn't know that happened irl.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Is it possible to let it just sort itself out? Sort of like a real world Arkham city?

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Since when are the police supposed to protect anyone, anyway?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Well, they do protect each other from the consequences when one of them shoots an innocent or beats up a handicapped person. Does that count?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Yeah, that whole "to serve and protect" shit is garbage. It's more like "to arrest and clean up the mess".

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Since never, but it'd be nice if they actually worked to ensure the safety of the public at large.

But then policing in America needs reform...

Anyway this whole outcry by the police is just a publicity stunt to get more monies.

Forcibly annex Detroit to Canada.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I read somewhere that East St.Louis is even worse than Detroit...

If you look at crime charts st louis, detroit, flint, and i think compton have all been in the number 1 seat at various times during the last 10 years.

I think my home town, flint, is number 1 atm. Im so proud.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Highland Park, MI is a real gem.