Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown Roll Call!

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
What I'm getting at is, the game is nowhere near as intimidating as people make it out to be. The only really intimidating thing is the movelist
THANK YOU!!!

That's what I'm always trying to convey to people. Fans of the game(ones who only play VF) and people who don't play the game but respect it always try to hype up it's difficulty and indimidation factor. If you play multiple fighting games you can see that VF has a lot too it but at the same time it still isn't that overwhelming because everything is nice and neat and layed out in an even and non-confusing manner.

[EDIT]
By the way does anyone want to join a room and get some steady games going?

Last edited:

Reality Check

World Hero
I dunno what the fuck I'm doing. When I play this like Tekken I get blown up for my trouble

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I dunno what the fuck I'm doing. When I play this like Tekken I get blown up for my trouble

It depends on your character. I'm playing Goh like Dragunov from Tekken and I'm still beasting but then again Dragunov is a copy of Goh to begin with...

Reality Check

World Hero
It depends on your character. I'm playing Goh like Dragunov from Tekken and I'm still beasting but then again Dragunov is a copy of Goh to begin with...

I'm playing Vanessa. I feel I'm in over my head as she has different stances and I haven't figured out how make a smooth translation between them. Plus, I haven't found her safe strings yet.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I'm playing Vanessa. I feel I'm in over my head as she has different stances and I haven't figured out how make a smooth translation between them. Plus, I haven't found her safe strings yet.

Have you watched any Vanessa videos? Videos help alot. I picked up Goh quicker than normal because I watched his videos nonstop.

thatdemoguy

Guerilla Warrior,
I had an absolute blast playing last night with SMX, mistercomplexz, and ancient flounder last night. Yes the netcode has a FEW technical hiccups but considering how far we are all spread across the nation it wasnt that bad and fairly easy to adjust to. I REALLY have to find my PS3 headset now lol.

PSN: thatdemoguy
360: o63zr0freestyle

im strictly a Jacky player, have been playing him since 4. I MIGHT start toying with Brad or Jean though.

O.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I played on 360 last night and had near zero lag. Good games to Moonjump!

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
yep last nite was damn fun, I think I blew the majority of my day on VF5FS yesterday....pretty sure I have aoi's movelist down, now to just be efficient with it. I found a few combos last nite in training that do 80+ damage :) so that should help once I have some setups.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
I had an absolute blast playing last night with SMX, mistercomplexz, and ancient flounder last night. Yes the netcode has a FEW technical hiccups but considering how far we are all spread across the nation it wasnt that bad and fairly easy to adjust to. I REALLY have to find my PS3 headset now lol.

PSN: thatdemoguy
360: o63zr0freestyle

im strictly a Jacky player, have been playing him since 4. I MIGHT start toying with Brad or Jean though.

O.

That was too much fun! Towards the end your Jacky started to get extra difficult. It was so hard to get in on you cuz you'd shut down all of my little tricks to sneak in lol. I'll never forget those killer flip kicks you put upside my face.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Sorry for not coming back. I watched The Daily Show and was falling asleep halfway through Colbert, so I just said fuck it and called it a night.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Sorry for not coming back. I watched The Daily Show and was falling asleep halfway through Colbert, so I just said fuck it and called it a night.

I figured you were a ghost. I went through training with Jean and then beat Arcade mode with him. After that I watched the special features on my John Carter Bluray.

defor

Geese's Thug
how exactly does one track down friends in the game or setup a room to invite people to/let them join? I'm not much of an internet gaming person and last time i did this much was like 5 years ago on xbl...

I'll try to be online in about an hour or so.. spent the first night getting setup and running through a few online matches only to find i'm really not that good with pai after years of not really playing versus, lol. That and someday I'll have to learn how the hell to block good akira players...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,

quick ugly video of spin and I playing, replay feature looks good, has the cool read outs with the frame data and inputs, glad that stuff made it into the console ver.

You can upload replays to a replay server in the game but alas not youtube.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member

quick ugly video of spin and I playing, replay feature looks good, has the cool read outs with the frame data and inputs, glad that stuff made it into the console ver.

You can upload replays to a replay server in the game but alas not youtube.
I knew from watching videos before how terrible and how risky I played but jeez watching myself play Virtua Fighter is an eyesore especially all of those times that I didn't techroll or all of those times I didn't ground grapple you for not techrolling. I also didn't hit most of my good combos due to the slight bit of lag. LOL I should say I'll be more conscious of what i'm doing but at the same time we were just having fun and learning about what we can get away with since we're new. But still, yucky gameplay on my part!

Thanks for these. For the first couple of videos I saw some players were using her as a grapple character. Was she always like that?

I honestly don't watch much Vanessa stuff or play Vanessa users so I can't really say.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
haha yeah man worry not, I haven't labeled the video and will delete it sometime soon. Definitely not trying to show off, twas just that match I mentioned I saved to try out the replay feature. Shame we don't get those silly intros from the arcade version you see on youtube :) or maybe missing them is a good thing... they are kinda stupid... well whatever.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
haha yeah man worry not, I haven't labeled the video and will delete it sometime soon. Definitely not trying to show off, twas just that match I mentioned I saved to try out the replay feature. Shame we don't get those silly intros from the arcade version you see on youtube :) or maybe missing them is a good thing... they are kinda stupid... well whatever.

what we should do is save more replays and watch ourselves so we can nitpick the mistakes we are doing and improve on our game. Also outside people can comment on them and tell us what we can improve on.

I also tried that upload feature on the game and all it does is upload it to the PSN server so others can watch it from their PS3. If you go to replays and then to "online data" you can see other people's games. I uploaded that match I had with AncientFlounder towards the end of the night.

SPINMASTER X

20 Year Member
oops, accidentially posted this in the wrong thread so I deleted this post.

Last edited:

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I'd be down with that, though I'd skip that video, too many obvious issues to list lol

It's truly amazing how usefull training mode is in this game. I don't have to look up how to beat things or what my options are in a given situation, just hit the lab and test it out!

clearly I am a noob as I had to hit training mode to learn how to deal with down+punch after a string, but I had the right idea, my launcher of choice was just the wrong one for the situation, now if someone mindlessly does a crouching punch after a string I can give them a reason to consider blocking next time instead:)

for the most part I think I am finally past the point where I am struggling with the engine and trying to remember moves and combos mid match, and finally on that ground floor when I can start learning matchups and properly apply my shit.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
PSN: Giltygear
XBL: BixbySnyder (I'll get it sometime this weekend)

So far, so good. It feels a lot more "accessible" that standard VF5. And the tutorial mode is key for a lot of the little things that i forgot about from VF5

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
werd, but I think the word accessible in this context is in the good way as opposed to SFIV for example where their attempt to make the game more accessible kinda resulted in it being less intuitive. I don't think any greatness was sacrificed here.

I am mostly posting to bump this thread to pound it into peoples heads that they need to get this game, it's always at the top of the online forum! it must be hotness!

Also I was wrong and I am still struggling with the engine and stuff :) when I have control of the match everything feels butter and I have all the confidence in the world, but when I lose the momentum I still crumble and struggle to get back in the match. But I think that's mostly muscle memory, I know what I need to do in theory, but I don't just do it at this point... I hesitate, doesn't flow naturally yet.... but we gettin there.

ggs earlier stephan I think your name was on here