Video game fads you actually got into/are still into

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Platformers - in the 90s, this was the it genre.

Rock Band - Harmonix wowed the world in 2007 when they introduced instruments beyond the guitars of guitar hero.

Grand Theft Auto - The first one didn't make a big splash but I still liked it. Bought a PS2 just to play 3 and loved it, but never beat it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I'm a sucker for a good metroidvania or mega Man x style game. They're everywhere now, but when I have the itch there's a lot of quality out there.

Platformers I enjoy also if they're dynamic and engaging. You can only make going to the right and jumping fun to a degree before changing everything up. Rayman Legends does a great job with this.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Sandbox games like GTA really got me once 3 came out and FPS titles on PC even more so. I can't tell you how many hours were spent on Counter Strike when I was a teenager.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
RPGs, action games, STGs, disc-based games, handheld games, hipster Nintendo games

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
DDR - My daughter is now old enough to like this game so I unearthed my DDR pad.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Arcade sports games. Gretzky 3D Hockey, Hit the Ice, 2 on 2 Open Ice, NBA Jam, NFL Street.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rock Band is still the shit but I'm too lazy to set up the drums most of the time.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Games I can beat in roughly 20 minutes, like Strider, Revenge of Shinobi, Ghouls n Ghosts etc

edit; this is a lie I haven't played those games in ten years, my entire identity has fallen apart and I don't even know what I like anymore. I look beat up by life, sexless, futureless, and imaginationless.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
classic-style beat em ups (arcade ninja gaiden, final fight, streets of rage, etc) and 90’s era/style fighting games

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Battle Royales. Finally got sucked in recently with Apex Legends. I’ve avoided it for so long, but this one got me.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
rhythm games for sure.
Started with DDR as an older teenager.
Still killing it in Beat Saber and now Audica.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Not sure I would call them fads but Genre wise:

Side scrolling beat em ups, Survival horrors and interactive story driven FPS’s Like Half Life and Deus Ex are my favorites.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Games I can beat in roughly 20 minutes, like Strider, Revenge of Shinobi, Ghouls n Ghosts etc

edit; this is a lie I haven't played those games in ten years, my entire identity has fallen apart and I don't even know what I like anymore. I look beat up by life, sexless, futureless, and imaginationless.
Sexless? Visit some Chinese prostitutes, they look hot.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Old school motherfucker right here

As for me? I"m still into turnbased JRPG's like they made in the 90s. To me, those games are the REAL Rpg's.
Also, 2D fighting games are still my favorite.:vik:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The Raiden schmups.

Got into them in the arcades and thought I was free of their lure.

Then I started finding ports of them in the wild and have been hooked again.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Fads?

This thread should just be renamed "What kind of video games do you like".

It's not GreGN's fault, it's the fault of those who have shared their choices.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Fads?

No,no, NO NO WE KNOW WHAT HE MEANT

WHAT HE MEANT WAS WHAT GAMES DO YOU STILL PLAY

GIVE GREG A BREAK, HE IS OUR BROTHER

Neo Alec

20 Year Member

I quit teaching English overseas because it was a fun lifestyle, but I saw no future in it. I had friends who were career teachers since grad school, but I am not. In 2013 I made preparations to come back to the US and start a new career. I've seen what happens when teaching overseas goes from a temporary situation to a long-term plan.

The economy is booming in the US. No better time to find a job.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Fads?

Exactly. My response was tongue in cheek but others are posting like t-shirts are a clothing fad. My favorite food fad is pizza.

The only actual fads in this thread are the Rock Band / Guitar Hero choices.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Exactly. My response was tongue in cheek but others are posting like t-shirts are a clothing fad. My favorite food fad is pizza.

The only actual fads in this thread are the Rock Band / Guitar Hero choices.

I would argue Battle Royale games are a fad as well. That genre's bubble is going to pop. Just like when Zombie games were a fad, everyone and their mom's where making zombie games. Battle Royale is becoming the latest cash-grab, MOBA's were the same (do people still play League of Legends?).

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Only fad that hooked me really was the recent "retro" style fad...mainly because I'm old and it hit me right in the nostalgia feels. What other fads are there? I don't think you could call FPS's a "fad"

"Open world" is a fad I think? All I get from "open world" games is "WTF am I supposed to do next?!"

fake

15 Year Member
I would argue Battle Royale games are a fad as well. That genre's bubble is going to pop. Just like when Zombie games were a fad, everyone and their mom's where making zombie games. Battle Royale is becoming the latest cash-grab, MOBA's were the same (do people still play League of Legends?).

I think it's too early to tell whether they're a craze or a fad. And yeah, people still play League of Legends. My friend dumped her BF a few months ago because it's all he would do.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Metroidvanias always make me a happy guy. Loved them when they were at their peak in the late 90's/early '00s.

One fad that I'd love to enjoy more is looter shooters. Borderlands proved it could be different and awesome, but unfortunately games like Destiny and Anthem are straight up ruining it with grinds and micro-transactions.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
In terms of actual fads I have really enjoyed playing the PSVR.

If that is a fad will remain to be seen but...