Video collecting

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I collect '80s (and some '90s) anime on DVD. I'll only get something on LD if a subbed DVD doesn't exist or has been butchered. I've recently been getting into the SD Blurays, since they're a more affordable and compact way of seeing otherwise way OOP stuff. For example, you can get all Patlabor TV, OVA, and movies in one small box for like $50.

Most of my other stuff is from pre-streaming. I'll buy my favorites for the better quality and special features. I've definitely cooled off on the Criterion stuff since subscribing to the Criterion Channel. It's a ridiculous value for the price. But again, if I see something I love, I'll buy it on disc.

I did love getting a new season of a show on DVD in college – it was such a big thing to look forward to during the day. Streaming has kinda ruined that.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I still have my LDs but I haven't bought any in years. I don't own any VHS anymore, and the only DVDs I still have are old TV box sets that didn't get replaced (or that I just didn't feel like upgrading). I don't even buy 1080p Blu Rays anymore if I can help it. Just 4K discs.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I still enjoy getting a new physical movie/anime and have started to get more into 4k now that they are releasing some niche titles. I probably buy 2-4 movies a month and those are usually on sale. Nothing crazy. Some of these smaller companies are doing phenomenal work in restoring a lot of stuff that was written off as unsalvageable. I started getting Criterion stuff again but only very specific titles. Back in the DVD days I went overboard and ended up with a ton of stuff that while important in the history of film wasn't something I'd ever watch again.

Still have around 200 DVDs but it's all stuff that's not on streaming or old TV boxsets.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The UHD, 4K and 3D discs will probably be in demand in the future.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I remember buying The Wire on DVD on BF about 13 years ago for still over $100 and thought, “this better be worth it.”

Never has a box set proved me so wrong.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I remember buying The Wire on DVD on BF about 13 years ago for still over $100 and thought, “this better be worth it.”

Never has a box set proved me so wrong.

I got through the wire by renting it a disc at a time from Netflix probably in 2012.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I have hundreds of of asian movies but most are kung fu films.

I dont really buy anymore but some of the shaw bros bluray collection i heard are quite nice. Might be worth the upgrade

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I got through the wire by renting it a disc at a time from Netflix probably in 2012.
Probably the best HBO series, and there’s several good ones, but no way I would pay that much for blu rays in today’s age of streaming.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I would like to collect SNK Neo Geo videos from Scitron (hope I spelled it correctly).
Either on Laserdisc or VHS but Im not paying the prices those mediums now demand on eBay.
Plus what's the whole point of getting them since I don't know Japanese?

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That's how I watched Lost. It took months and man when I finally finished it I was none to happy.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I collected videos in the 80s, LDs in the 90s, DVDs in the 2000s, blurays in the 2010s and nothing in the 2020s. Still have the blurays and dvds, sold the LDs long ago, videos mostly ended up in the trash. Almost entirely stopped buying physical media of any kind. The world has moved on.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
One of the reasons I still buy physical is because not everything is on streaming and unless you subscribe to 15 different services you're stuck with whatever is on the couple you do actually subscribe to. Even then shit gets taken off or companies merge and all of a sudden a huge amount of you favorite stuff ends up and a new service or sometimes just gone.

All those stupid horror movies I love are spread across like 5 services, fuck that. It's a mess. Then you're also missing out on stuff like original soundtrack, subs/dubs, various cuts of the movie. A good BD has all that extra shit. There's like 5 versions of Blade Runner but only 1 on streaming. The BD is $5.

You want to watch the non Reduxed Apocalypse Now? How about The Mist in B&W? Fuck you.

You can torrent a lot of movies but it's always a crapshoot as to the quality and region. When I was doing that on the regular sometimes I'd get lucky and find a nice rip but usually I just felt like I was wasting my time. Then you accumulate so much that you never end up actually watching most of it. When I buy something I always watch it, usually multiple times in the first couple weeks alone.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I grab LDs and VHS if I can't find it on another format or if it's an out and out favorite I want on different formats. Having LDs are great for the cover art. I got to go to a screening with William friedkin and got a Japanese LD of the exorcist signed by him. Capital letter day.

tbone3969!

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The rot issues with HD-DVD has been a thing to watch out for for over a decade now. That's a long time considering the format isn't that old. I'd say 80% of the HD-DVD I find secondhand have bad looking discs. There are some regular DVD that have a similar issue but those don't get any worse or have problems being read by players.

All the hype is only on the things that have always been valuable. Beta is just a newcomer but niche VHS has always been a thing. Horror videos are the JPRGs of the home video scene. Uncommon US media (uncommon media, rare players) are still on the low side. This includes LaserDisc, Video8, CED. The real rarities I don't know, D-VHS is still astronomical but has always been so. Divx unlocked I don't know what that market is but you never see that format anywhere. VCD once being something you couldn't give away is now impossible to find or has gone up in price especially on Ebay. There doesn't seem to be any value increase on Surround VHS vs stereo or mono VHS. The Beta value change happened a few years ago when the prices of players went up, especially Sony frontloaders.

I went hardcore into movie collecting for about 10 years before I basically hit a limit. I had 14 shelves of videos of various formats. I have too many hobbies and collecting videos was one I had to cut back on. Now I limit myself to 1 shelf for a media type. So that means 1 shelf for VHS instead of 6 ot 7 shelfs.
I hear you one the VCDs going up recently. I got roped into that hobby by trying to find ways to use my Philips CDI. There aren't very many playable games on that system so the VCD collecting started when they were cheap. Not paying the high prices for them now though.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Imma breakdown and buy Sorcerer (1977) on Blu-Ray. I have never seen the movie and am giving up hope of it ever streaming.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Imma breakdown and buy Sorcerer (1977) on Blu-Ray. I have never seen the movie and am giving up hope of it ever streaming.
I found this on LD believe it or not. In my queue of movies to watch someday.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
I don't know who all here collect videos, but I know a few of us do.

What's going on with the prices of VHS and Betamax as of late? It's getting insane. Sealed tapes are starting to go for stupid prices if they are anything with a following.

Worse than that, the grading craze has hit and sadly I'm seeing graded videos sell for prices that make no sense to me.

I was going to make a thread about this due to something that happened to me recently.

To answer your questions: Long story short......Heritage & other auction houses & grading services are gearing up to make sealed VHS tapes the next thing. They are working to get all the historical info they can via experts & ex-industry vets & buying up stock left & right.

I not one but two sealed copies of Alien. I thought one was the first print & the other was the third. I too thought the ending prices had to be fake or some shiz, but still I listed the two together with a sealed copy of alien trilogy for good measure. I started the BIN at market ($1,900) & the lot sold in less then 10 minutes.

It ended up being someone tied to the auction industry. Nice enough guy. He will buy desirable titles for market to speculate with so you can't go wrong there. Plus he helped me with identifying some original anime cells & sketches that I found years back when thrifting.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Grading VHS...

I can't wait to see auction descriptions touting the importance of a fullscreen copy of T2 in the history of home media. These guys are so full of shit and predictable to the point of comedy.

Next thing you know they'll be grading CDs. Can't wait to see Metallica's Black Album sell for $275k in some scammo auction.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I was going to make a thread about this due to something that happened to me recently.

To answer your questions: Long story short......Heritage & other auction houses & grading services are gearing up to make sealed VHS tapes the next thing. They are working to get all the historical info they can via experts & ex-industry vets & buying up stock left & right.

I not one but two sealed copies of Alien. I thought one was the first print & the other was the third. I too thought the ending prices had to be fake or some shiz, but still I listed the two together with a sealed copy of alien trilogy for good measure. I started the BIN at market ($1,900) & the lot sold in less then 10 minutes.

It ended up being someone tied to the auction industry. Nice enough guy. He will buy desirable titles for market to speculate with so you can't go wrong there. Plus he helped me with identifying some original anime cells & sketches that I found years back when thrifting.
Hope they end up like the Hunt brothers.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
If you collect sealed copies of anything you have no right to complain about the prices on that thing going up. You’re the cause as much as anyone.

VHS sucks, never “collected it”. I have a lot of LD though because…I’ve always had a lot of LD…anyone getting into it now can fuck off. Lucky for me they seem to want to jack up the prices of only the worst movies so it rarely affects me. However…I always wanted a copy of Kronolog and could never find it. Then Syd Mead died and suddenly it’s on eBay, a dozen copies, thousands of dollars each, cheapest being $800. That shit sucks. Those idiots blowing serious money on crappy movies you can get on Blu-ray for $10 though? I could not care less about that sort of stupidity. Noobs fucking over other noobs for garbage…don’t care.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
As far as VHS collecting goes, is there a consensus as to how the tapes should be stored?

I'm very much in the camp of storing all magnetic tapes as play-wound (IE not rewound).