Video card help needed badly

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
I recently put in my GeForce 4 into my computer. Everything seemed to go well, like puting it in and everything. It was smooth. I'm having a wicked problem though. The display is badly screwed up. Its hard to describe. Its like when you play a game on a dusty nintendo. There are weird lines and stuff on the screen. It makes reading pretty hard. I'm really kind of pissed because I hope this wou;d work flawlessly, but of course it wouldn't. If anyone has ANY idea what to do like download something, or whatever please let me know. I really need the help. I have already tried screwing with resolution, installing the drivers and disabaling the other chipset in here.

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
I also don't really think that it is the monitor's fault... because it seems to be compatible.

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
I have the driver CDs... but this was a problem from the get-go. I doubt its the drivers. I have a PCI motherboard and a PCI card, but Im not sure what the board is called. I have a HP Pavillion 8755C.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
ZeroMJ:
I have the driver CDs... but this was a problem from the get-go. I doubt its the drivers. I have a PCI motherboard and a PCI card, but Im not sure what the board is called. I have a HP Pavillion 8755C.
Did you replace a PCI videocard or was this originally running from on-board video? If the latter is the case, you need to uninstall the Geforce drivers, uninstall the on-board video drivers, and then re-install the Geforce drivers.

Kao_Pai

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
That sounds like it could be a hardware issue. Are the lines and stuff always visible, like even on the startup splash screen for your os? Is it the same at any resolution?

Those kind of screen artifacts are pretty typical of either an improperly seated card or a bad chip on the card.

Try taking the card out and reseating it, then try it in another slot. If the problem persists it could very well be a faulty chip on the video card, or a software issue.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
Well I would first try downloading the latest drivers from <a href="http://www.nvidia.com" target="_blank">www.nvidia.com</a> and see if that makes a difference. If it doesnt, more then likely it could be either a bad seated card or maybe a noncompatible motherboard and video card setup. Usually with prebuilt machines (compaq, HP, Dell, Toshiba) problems like this can arise.

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
Hm, well I was able to get things back to normal, but I guess I'll try changing slots. Thanks for the help!

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
Goddamnit. No fucking luck. I can't fit the card into any other slots because HP makes retarted computers. I really got fucked on this. I sincerely think when they designed this computer they said, "Hey, lets design this computer to reject most usable hardware and not be able to use any games."

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
try reseating the card, many times, really SEATING it in, like *puuush*

then, if you have onboard video, disable it in the BIOS.

turn on 'assign interrupt for VGA' in your BIOS

get the latest drivers for your OS

or just panic and get drunk

ZeroMJ

Amusaka's Lacky
Well, i dont want to break anything, but I suppose trying a bit harder may work..

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
you won't break anything I promise.

PC cards are hardier than you think. :)

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
You really must disable the on board card and uninstall its drivers though.