VIDEO ADDED! - I'm Making a JAMMA Compatible Arcade Shooter - Come Play It for Free!

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
As promised, here is the NEO GEO forum exclusive off-screen footage...enjoy!

Please follow us on Facebook or Tumblr for the latest updates:

http://www.facebook.com/skycurser
http://tumblr.skycurser.com/

WATCH IN HD!!!

For the last year, I've been working with two other close friends on developing a new JAMMA compatible arcade game. The game is a 2D horizontal shmup called SKYCURSER and it's a bit like Gradius and R-Type jumped in a mosh pit with Splatterhouse, Metal Slug and Doom. We have been extremely meticulous with the gameplay and graphics to try and capture at bit of that late eighties magic that we love so much. I was really going for a SNK/IREM look with the sprites.

We are demoing the first section of the game in a dedicated prototype cabinet at Fountain Square Brewery in Indianapolis on February the 6th.

For-Neo-Geo-2.png

I've been a Neo Geo member for nearly ten years and I'm really hoping you guys will like what we are making. Obviously, making a new arcade game in 2015 isn't something you do for money, but we just love the format too much to make a game any other way.

If you want to learn more about the project you can check out our site at www.skycurser.com.

Last edited:

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
Here are some images (PRE-ALPHA) of gameplay for those of you who might be interested:

SKYCURSER-Screenshot-4-Thumb.png

Skycurser-Screenshot-6-Thumb.png

boss-screenshot-copy.png

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Really cool stuff, you guys have captured that metal slug essence and taken it to the sky!

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks dude! Yeah, whenever I'm feeling confident about my sprite work, I just go look at Metal Slug and that puts me in my place really quickly, ha ha. Glad you like it man!

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Looks awesome so far ! Be sure to post a link for the kickstarter once it goes live !!!

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Cool! Love the sprite work!

Be sure to post this on the Shmups forum. You'll get more of the hardcore shmup fans weighing in.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
did you design a new jamma board or is this new roms on a existing off the shelf board?

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Looks really great! Did you design the pcb from scratch?

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
did you design a new jamma board or is this new roms on a existing off the shelf board?

I thought some questions about the hardware might come up. We are still in very very early prototyping on the hardware. Right now the game runs on a mini pc running open OS that has been adapted with a JAMMA finger board and sound amp. Our goal is to have custom PCBs, but that ultimately will come down to our budget.

If any of you guys have experience with hardware and would like to help in any way, let me know. I may be able to pay for your time as well.

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
Cool! Love the sprite work!

Be sure to post this on the Shmups forum. You'll get more of the hardcore shmup fans weighing in.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was worried about upsetting mods by flooding the forums. I'll wait till I have video of our cabinet and location test to update there.

Also, I checked out your blog and I was blown away by that R TYPE art you did. Let me know if you would ever be interested in helping with production art, I'm willing to pay and always need help with high resolution stuff since I'm so bogged down with sprite art.

robot

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Screenshots look really good. Will definitely keep an eye out for that kickstarter!

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Looks pretty cool, love the cloud sunset background, but the eyeball enemies might get a little redundant. Good luck.

Last edited:

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
looks amazing. I REAAAAAAALLLLLLYYY wana play this.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
not knowing what gpu or cpu kind of makes this a pc game with a joystick not jamma game

demirichris

Hardened Shock Trooper
The goal is definitely to create dedicated PCB boards, but as I'm sure you can imagine that could get extremely expensive quickly. Honestly the hardware is the only reason we are considering a kickstarter and not just doing it purely out of pocket. Right now it's basically the equivalent of a type x board. The game runs at native 240p with 16 color per sprite graphics, so it's definitely not a reach to get this on dedicated hardware.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I really appreciate it!

As for the eyeball bad guys, those are just the tip of the ice burg. We have lots of other enemies in the works, several of them are already functional in game.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Awesome project, will be looking forward to your progress!

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I've been following you guys on Instagram! I love seeing your guys progress on the game. Everything looks so awesome

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
a embeded xp typex type setup with those specs would be a nice platform

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Looks great. Can't wait to hear more about how this comes together in the coming months. ^_^

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
hell yea i am interested in this, looking forward to hearing more! had no idea this was being made