US KOF 2K AES not on Master List or Price Guide

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
Was there an English release of King of Fighters 2000? It's not on the Master List or the Price Guide but there is a pic in the Cart Pics section. How much is this game worth?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Try a search on this game - it's mired in contraversy. The inserts were done by NGF, but were supposedly ruled to be official by SNKP.

Since the inserts have NGF related stuff written on the insert, lots of people can't (including myself) bring themselves to recognize this as an official SNK release - mostly because of how destructive and misleading NGF has been toward the Neo Geo scene.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
BLASPHEMY!!!!

ENG KOF '00 was never truly released. As the story Dion Dakis and Chris Ray of NEO GEO Freak got sole distrubition rights to all ENG releases. So NGF got the ENG KOF '00, but then tried to pass it off as their own by stamping NEO GEO Freak on the manuals and making up there own NGF inserts. Carts were altered and the alterations were not approved by SNK. So in the minds of many NEO GEO gamers and collectors, and ENG KOF '00 homecart was never released. There maybe some "unfreaked" carts out there, but I have yet to see one.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Big Shady said:
BLASPHEMY!!!!

ENG KOF '00 was never truly released. As the story Dion Dakis and Chris Ray of NEO GEO Freak got sole distrubition rights to all ENG releases. So NGF got the ENG KOF '00, but then tried to pass it off as their own by stamping NEO GEO Freak on the manuals and making up there own NGF inserts. Carts were altered and the alterations were not approved by SNK. So in the minds of many NEO GEO gamers and collectors, and ENG KOF '00 homecart was never released. There maybe some "unfreaked" carts out there, but I have yet to see one.

Well, in one sense, they're still official releases. They've essentially been ruined, but were still apparently ruled to be official.

This is just one viewpoint, but to me it's basically comparable to taking out your minty MS3 insert and wiping your ass with it. It's still official, but is now worthless.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Big Shady said:
BLASPHEMY!!!!

Exactly. Purists like me will never own a NGF KOF2K. Instead I bought the
Official US MVS Kit of the game. I have the original JP homecart as well of course.
I see the US Kit as the JP homecart's counterpart. :glee:

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
galfordo said:
Well, in one sense, they're still official releases. They've essentially been ruined, but were still apparently ruled to be official.

This is just one viewpoint, but to me it's basically comparable to taking out your minty MS3 insert and wiping your ass with it. It's still official, but is now worthless.
Hahaha, funnay analogy.

See my problem is the NGF tried to make it their release. It was basic copyright infringement. They took SNK intellecutal property, put their stamp on it, and said "hey this is the NGF release!" Not cool :shame:

MS3 toliet paper, intresting idea :spock:

Curt

apostate
I myself can't bring myself to buy the US release as well... In my case, I bought a Nice minty JP KOF 2000 AES from my Boy Kusanagi-Sama', I then went to Nick_th_furys website and downloaded his scan of the NGF kof 2000 Euro Insert, I then went to photoshop and removed the NGF stuff and then printed it out On High Quality paper, Since my printer cant print Insert sizes, It only covers (placed over the JP insert) the back portion, the spine, and some of the front (the red stripe) I think it looks damn good. And it's legit... here's a pic
http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/CurtWRX/Collection5-5Row1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
Big Shady said:
Carts were altered and the alterations were not approved by SNK. So in the minds of many NEO GEO gamers and collectors, and ENG KOF '00 homecart was never released. There maybe some "unfreaked" carts out there, but I have yet to see one.

In what way were the Carts itself altered? I realize that the insert and manual have the NGF website info on them.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
Ralf501 said:
In what way were the Carts itself altered? I realize that the insert and manual have the NGF website info on them.
I'm sorry, I shouldn't say carts, but the packaging was. I'm not sure if the cart stickers were touched, though.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Ralf501 said:

The carts weren't altered in any way. However, the cart stickers do have square edges (like some very early aes releases - see raguy as an example), instead of rounded edges (which is indicative of aes cart stickers for late aes releases).

The ngf url can be found on the rear of the insert (in the usual url box) and on the rear of the manual. There are no further references to ngf anywhere else on, or in, the printed materials. The pcbs are identical to the pcb's found in the 'official' Jap cart.

For the most part there are now two camps - those who do not care and want the most offical US copy of the game they can get, and those like Jorge who see the release as too tainted to take it seriously.

Personally, I don't care about any of it any more.

See the special report on KoF 2000 US at snk-capcom.com for probably the most objective info you'll find on the game.
BTW, the release was in the price guide but it has since been removed, and I dare say permanently.

chrisr

Known Scammer and One Deluded Individual, NeoGeoFr
20 Year Member
This pretty much sums it up.

http://www.snkplaymore.jp/information/en_press15.html

The main difference is KOF2k was sent to us from japan already printed as released. We spent over $10,000 to have the artwork translated and printed for the 100 carts purchased from SNK. This was done IN HOUSE at SNK. Also, the US cart was released over a week before the JPN version.

Its 100% legit, and a great cart to have for those lucky few.

At least the later KOF carts were finally corrected to fall in line with the other releases. What a great run to have KO94-2003 all in US form.

People that dispute it, or refute it, are still in a state of denial. Being in the propoganda guide that has suckered poor souls with overpriced carts is of no consequence. Legit is legit.

BTW - neo geo consumer SNK playmore blah blah blah - whatever they call themselves this week, are closed. Finished. In the tank. I guess the financial strain of too many payouts finally got to them.

Thanks,

ChrisR

SHO

Raiden's Valet
galfordo said:
it's basically comparable to taking out your minty MS3 insert and wiping your ass with it. It's still official, but is now worthless.

lol this made me laugh.... :tickled:

so true.... :tickled:

i would do what curtwax done... buy a jap one and print a us insert! i say thats even more official

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
chrisr said:
bullsh8t edited out

Thanks,

ChrisR
You know it's really noce to read that you are still bitter about the court settlement Ray..
We both know that you lost alot more in the deal.
It basically boils down to NGF handing over the chiicken and allow ed to keep some of it's eggs.
C'mon Ray,anybody with and I.Q +1 above plant life knows that you were either going to take what you could get or lose it all.
You two morons ought to be sending Playmore thankyou cards and fruit baskets for sparing you COMPLETE humiliation...I mean,they really did NGF a favor by agreeing to acknowledge whatever legitimacy 2K had and paying you a small sum indirectly for the the retrun of whatever rights you had.
You yourself admitted in the end that you were bullied and tricked.
Hahahah..aaaaahahahahah.
I LOVE IT!
-BB

Last edited:

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
What I don't get is how NGF keeps saying that SNK ONLY released 100 copies of the game...yet they still sell it on their website?!! You'd think they'd have sold out of them by now. Or, it could be some ploy to trick people into buying a "rare" game.

Jon

Q

qube

KOF2k is the reason I switched to collecting Japanese carts :oh_no:

I couldn't get around that release to complete a KOF set...so I just switched to JPN carts altogether.

I do still own a US Magician Lord though. As that was always a personal dream of mine since childhood.

Q-

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Jon said:
What I don't get is how NGF keeps saying that SNK ONLY released 100 copies of the game...yet they still sell it on their website?!! You'd think they'd have sold out of them by now. Or, it could be some ploy to trick people into buying a "rare" game.

Jon

Ever heard of "bootlegging" ?

:smirk:

Curt

apostate
Jon said:

Jon

I think its the same one...

Whos going to buy it for fifteen-hundred dollars...

Ive seen it go on ebay for 300-400$

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
CurtWRX said:
I think its the same one...

Whos going to buy it for fifteen-hundred dollars...

Ive seen it go on ebay for 300-400$

And it definitelly isn't worth that much.

Paying over $2xx for it is a plain suicide to me.
Who cares if it's rare since it's freaked ?

If a non freaked one appears ( wich already happened ), that's an other story.

Kusanagi-sama'

Ninja Combat Warrior
The KOF 2000 US Neo geo freak release is rubbish - plain and simple. Whilst it is very unfortunate for US/Euro collector's like myself to not be able to complete their KOF US collection, the fact remains it is utter garbage - regardless of whatever lame-ass ruling SNK gave on the topic. I will keep my minty KOF 00 JP over that crap any day of the week.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
i wonder how much a geniue non freaked us kof2000 would fetch........ :mr_t:

a non freaked official us kof 2000 is got to be more rare than kizuna right? :loco:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Kusanagi-sama' said:
The KOF 2000 US Neo geo freak release is rubbish - plain and simple. Whilst it is very unfortunate for US/Euro collector's like myself to not be able to complete their KOF US collection, the fact remains it is utter garbage - regardless of whatever lame-ass ruling SNK gave on the topic. I will keep my minty KOF 00 JP over that crap any day of the week.

Exactly, real collectors know that there's no value to this questionable release,
regardless of what SNKP said, they have no fucking idea either.

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
SHO said:
i wonder how much a geniue non freaked us kof2000 would fetch........ :mr_t:

a non freaked official us kof 2000 is got to be more rare than kizuna right? :loco:
I was just offered $2300 for a non-freaked legit US KOF '00. Anyone else get that email :spock:

Curt

apostate
Big Shady said:
I was just offered $2300 for a non-freaked legit US KOF '00. Anyone else get that email :spock:

I'd be interested to see pix...

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Wow!!!!!!!! I cant beleive with NGF out of business...people are still complaining about this title. SNKP said it was official....no one recognizes it as being official. Do not buy this title if you are looking at this as an investment. If you just have to have a COMPLETE US KOF Set, you need to do one of the following:

1) Buy all US KOF MVS KITS 94 - 2003

2) Buy All KOF US Carts 94 - 2003 (including NGF 2000 US AES)

3) Dont own a Complete US KOF set

There are no other options. Yeah you can buy a KOF 2000 JPN ...but it's just that....a KOF 2000 JPN. Yeah you could buy a KOF 2000 US MVS .... but it's just a plain 'ol cardboard MVS box amongst 9 AES carts with colored spines.

IF you want a KOF 2000 US AES.... buy one. Don't worry about what the other people think. However, you must remember that this game will NEVER be worth anything of value. I would say it's value falls in line between the value of KOF 99 and 01. No KOF cart has ever gone up in price (according to history....and the price guide) . Yes, I own one. Yes, I am aware that it is of no REAL value (I dont buy these games for potential profit). Yes, I am aware of the NGF URL on the Insert and manual. No, I didnt buy it from NGF. No, I am not selling mine. No, I dont care that people say my copy is a boot.

Phillip

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Big Shady said:

I wish someone would email me for a non- freaked legit KOF 2000 US AES. However, it depends on who the person is selling it.

Phillip