*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Nice to see people are finding the Crossed Swords II and Zintrick original music tracks! Here to hoping that you find them all! Cheers.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Noticed this post from Dec 20 on neogeo-system mentioning the progress that's been made with adding music to Zintrick:

Regarding the ADPCMA - I don't believe we can go any lower with the sample rate without degrading the music (if I listen closely, we already miss some of the top end spectrum from the music in comparison to the original CD-DA - with percussion effects a little subdued. It's not something that would be a deal breaker - and it's completely understandable given that the CD's now squeezed into 6.5MB..which I still can't quite believe someone actually made happen!
However, to downsample further to get into 1MB (we still have the original SFX ADPCMA to accommodate, remember) would likely be a step too far.

I think what we need to explore is organising the ADPCMA across several 2MB Roms (as I think you mentioned in one of your earlier posts) and using bank-switching.
Zintrick's not set up for that, though, so I need some help in getting a development environment together that supports multi-banked VRoms, and that allows me to slot in the Zintrick roms + modified m1.rom over the top. I'm new to Neo dev, so I've not yet got the knowledge for that and need to Google further.
If anyone can help me learn, or wants to MP to bounce ideas, I'd be very happy to listen Smile
Cheers
Groovy

My full apologies again for using native English. I don't think some of the above would survive auto-translation intact!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/embed/05dTicqDkQU

Last edited:

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
I came across these two (already known) Garou MOTW 2 Special screens but as "full version" with TV in the photo.
Seems that a working prototype really exists ...

lom21ab.jpg

lom11wb.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I came across these two (already known) Garou MOTW 2 Special screens but as "full version" with TV in the photo.

View attachment 34508

View attachment 34509

Those photos always intrigued me as if you look at the art of the background, it matches the style of the original MOTW so I always thought it was a real proto. I am still hoping....

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Those photos always intrigued me as if you look at the art of the background, it matches the style of the original MOTW so I always thought it was a real proto. I am still hoping....

It matches but, the original Garou had a lot going on in its backgrounds. There's really not much to look at except a drab hillside and, maybe, a bird flying by?

We're definitely looking a very early build here. I'm curious who's TV it's being played on. Treuminator, perhaps?

Jon

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Nice find.
A picture is worth a thousand words. It's amazing how much information they can yield.

It's a pretty nice television for 1999. If the photos were taken in the United States, the location looks like a southern warm climate state. Maybe Louisiana or Texas. The furniture that the television sits on is very casual style, often found in a more leisure setting. The soft curtains seen in the window which shows ambient light outside is also consistent with this. The small statue in the background depicts a Jazz motif; hence New Orleans perhaps.

Granted, this could be the home of some mellow yellow surfer dude from California too. Or even some Caribbean country. It's casual either way. Nothing formal about the furniture, the decor, or the window trimming.

Also, remember that we have also long since theorized that this game may not have been a sequel, but rather an early beta of the original game.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Hold up, both of those photos have been around for a while. I thought they were taken from a Japanese magazine or some kind of print scan, this is the first time I've seen them "on a TV." Are we sure someone didn't paste them onto a TV for those photos?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
OK... OK... here's what I stand on "MOST" of the proto scene...

You guys need to find a life.... you uber 3litist fucks... are why i hate the proto scene so much...

...It's like "LOOK at me... I have stuff... YOU CAN NEVER HAVE...."... instead of ... let's just help out the gaming scene...

Well... fuck you guys...

xROTx

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Nice find.
A picture is worth a thousand words. It's amazing how much information they can yield.

It's a pretty nice television for 1999. If the photos were taken in the United States, the location looks like a southern warm climate state. Maybe Louisiana or Texas. The furniture that the television sits on is very casual style, often found in a more leisure setting. The soft curtains seen in the window which shows ambient light outside is also consistent with this. The small statue in the background depicts a Jazz motif; hence New Orleans perhaps.

Granted, this could be the home of some mellow yellow surfer dude from California too. Or even some Caribbean country. It's casual either way. Nothing formal about the furniture, the decor, or the window trimming.

Also, remember that we have also long since theorized that this game may not have been a sequel, but rather an early beta of the original game.

That is an amazing level of unnecessary overanalyzation there. How in the hell can you tell that its a Southern warm climate state based off of a TV stand and wooden furniture?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I'm not sure I buy into these 2 pictures, especially if they are identical to the pictures that appeared in a mag minus the TV.

My gut is telling me these pictures are actually from a WIP CD version of the game that was never released. This is probably because they could not fit the graphics into the CD system RAM, even loading one level at a time.

Cg591

Rugal's Thug
That is an amazing level of unnecessary overanalyzation there. How in the hell can you tell that its a Southern warm climate state based off of a TV stand and wooden furniture?

I know right. I see a slight condensation on the camera lens to indicate a high humidity as well as...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,

:lolz:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
My opinion about these two pictures is either they have been photoshopped into the picture to appear on the TV or the pictures are being displayed on the TV via a digital camera. These two pictures are not from a NeoGeo outputting the image to that TV. The geometry is all wrong. In short I feel these pictures have been faked given what these is to go on. For what purpose, who knows.

As for the original pictures on their own, I still feel its from a CD version of the game which was planned rather than a followup release for the MVS/AES. I'm thinking maybe it would have been something on the lines of the kof 96 collection for the CD system but for Garou / Real Bout instead.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'm no expert, but those are pretty blurry MOTW pictures, but the screen is pretty crisp. Look how blurry the sony wording is on the tv, but how crisp the tv picture is, that sure as hell doesn't look like composite. Normally it's the opposite way around when taking a picture of a tv, everything but the tv come in crisp.

Also, mr Karate looks like Ken. He has the spaghetti hair.

Maybe it is real, but it's not something I am going to believe until something surfaces.

mathieu4d

Crazed MVS Addict

Where/how did you came across those 2 pics ?
A Pic without a story is a blowjob without the full workout, my friend :)

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
The photos are from a brazilian video game blog:
http://www.santuariodomestreryu.com.br/2011/11/jogos-cancelados-betas-raros-rumores.html

But it seems that they originally came in 2009 from a japanese(?) photo bucket (today a deleted account):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/Hokageizlude/lom11wb.jpg

More research could be done in Japan but it would be a big advance if you could read, understand and write
japanese without a translation software. Unfortunately, I can barely "read" japanese game titles ;)
I guess the cart or CD has never left Japan and I think there is still hope that the game proto was not destroyed
during SNKs bankrupt if screen shots of it surface in the year 2009 ...
http://www.google.com/search?q=lom11wb.jpg

Last edited:

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
Nice find.

Trying too hard, the little gray cells not working Hercule?

I'm no expert, but those are pretty blurry MOTW pictures, but the screen is pretty crisp. Look how blurry the sony wording is on the tv, but how crisp the tv picture is, that sure as hell doesn't look like composite. Normally it's the opposite way around when taking a picture of a tv, everything but the tv come in crisp.

Also, mr Karate looks like Ken. He has the spaghetti hair.

Maybe it is real, but it's not something I am going to believe until something surfaces.
Yup the second picture is all blurry except the screen, I say BS.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

Kind of reminds me of the movie 'The Good Shepard' - the scenes where the CIA analysts were analysing the reel to reel videotape for clues as to where it was shot :lolz: