*UPDATED* NeoGeo proto screenshots

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
The following is not a value statement but merely an observation

The price to me seems reasonable for this type of material. Just taking into account verious factors. It's actually not that much.
Would I pay that for this proto if I could? Fuck no, but that's beside the point

This sounds like perfectly logical to me.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
This sounds like perfectly logical to me.
I'm assuming you're being ironic.
Various factors include:
An auction can harness these type of prices.
The price is whatever a given person is willing to pay for a given object. Value is partially subjective. This impacts price
Dollar is pretty weak.
Videogames as investments is a thing, pretty much well established by now.
These type of items are at trophy level within collector's community, and they have transcended the scene, can be regarded as valuable epoch
evoking treasures. Vintage tech. Get used to it, the ratio of people that grew up with digital technology vs those that never did is tipping towards the former, and eventually there will only be the former.
And then there's also reasoning behind buying something like this to make some type of turnover at some point.

And many more reasons which I can't be bothered to come up with.
It could be shill bidding.

Ultimately a sought after neo geo proto will be more attractive and notch up more prestige if the sale price goes up due to demand. The health of the higher level collecting scene needs to garner these prices in order to remain relevant. Neo Geo has been up to now the gold standard and the alure is the myth it has created for itself from the beginning.
I actually have no clue what's going on in the neo geo collecting scene these days, maybe it fell off?

I can't believe I just wrote all that crap

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I'm assuming you're being ironic.

No, I wasn't. Not at all. I honestly found your assumptions perfectly logical and honest in the first place. :-)

I can't believe I just wrote all that crap

And again, I'm posting to say I do not think your further elaboration has been "crappy" at all. Quite the opposite in fact, it's always pretty lovely to read some educated points. Such as yours, that is.

I actually have no clue what's going on in the neo geo collecting scene these days, maybe it fell off?

I am basically with you with your conclusions as well.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I wish I had $51K laying around to drop a prototype. I'm in the wrong line of work... :)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
No, I wasn't. Not at all. I honestly found your assumptions perfectly logical and honest in the first place. :-)

And again, I'm posting to say I do not think your further elaboration has been "crappy" at all. Quite the opposite in fact, it's always pretty lovely to read some educated points. Such as yours, that is.

I am basically with you with your conclusions as well.
Appreciate it fellow old timer

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I wish I had $51K laying around to drop a prototype. I'm in the wrong line of work... :)
lol, I'm with you... although to be honest, if I had $51k burning a hole in my pocket I wouldn't have spent it on this.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Another option is: the buyer of this proto is focusing on business. A run of semi-official NEO·GEO long lost and finally found proto may be quite lucrative, now more then ever. Crazy as it is, such an option would possibly "justify" the humungous price spent on a (very old and frankly quite unappealing) videogame prototype. In the case, the game per se would not stay lost for long, also.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
They would have to pre sell them also because as soon as the games are shipped, they will be dumped

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I don't know if it's against Kickstarter policies, but the buyer could set a target to release the carts - let's say, 100,000 USD, selling 100 bootleg copies for 1000 USD each - and release the game only when the goal is met. Easy money.
But I don't think that's the case... it's probably some rich proto hunter that will get physical pleasure from hiding the game forever (and looking at it from time to time).

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Some drama after the auction.... These are the sellers latest Tweets, sorry about the Engrish...

"Since the highest bidder's evaluation is 2, I asked for "early transaction intention contact" from here immediately after the end of the auction, but since there was no contact even after half a day, the highest bidder was deleted.
The runner-up person became a successful bidder candidate in advance, but if he declines, I think he will relist.

By the way, a famous retro game collector was suspicious, but I swear that it is not a self-made sockpuppet bid.

Even if it is the runner-up who was using the agency, it is a little to use outside the system presented here ...
I hope the agency will continue to work.

I suspected spoofing, but since there was a possibility that he was the person himself, I deleted the previous entry.
For the time being, it would be nice if you could contact us from the transaction navigation.

Even though there is a difference of 1.4 million yen between the runner-up bidder and the third-place bidder, the specifications of Yahoo Auction, where the winning bid is almost the same, makes me feel uncomfortable. So if the runner-up is not convinced and declines, I think it will be relisted."

So he says it might go to the third place bidder, which he says was about 1 million yen below the winning bid so approx 42,000 USD What the heck is going on here!

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Not surprising, high profile auctions like this always attract the trolls and the Neo Geo world is full of them.

Still, $42,000... Insane!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not surprising, high profile auctions like this always attract the trolls and the Neo Geo world is full of them.

Still, $42,000... Insane!
Chump change since it's probably someone that's going to do a limited run of them. Here comes the $600-800 carts again.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Chump change since it's probably someone that's going to do a limited run of them. Here comes the $600-800 carts again.
I suppose so. I still can't believe someone would pay $600-$800 for an alrightish looking Tetris game though. Then again I'm more familiar with the Atari prototype world where one of a kind protos only go for $4-5K at and that's considered insane.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I suppose so. I still can't believe someone would pay $600-$800 for an alrightish looking Tetris game though. Then again I'm more familiar with the Atari prototype world where one of a kind protos only go for $4-5K at and that's considered insane.
It depends on the configuration, if they do an AES and MVS release then most likely $400-500 range, could also do an MVS cart only release for like $250-300. If the game is small enough (sure it is) they might even do a NeoCD release. Unless it's someone that has money to burn, we all wish they'd release the rom instead.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Really makes me want to sell that Samurai Shodown 64 prototype cart and cash in lolol

But I won't. I made a deal with the person I got it from to not do that. Dump is still in progress then it'll just live a happy life on my shelves

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Really makes me want to sell that Samurai Shodown 64 prototype cart and cash in lolol

But I won't. I made a deal with the person I got it from to not do that. Dump is still in progress then it'll just live a happy life on my shelves
I wish it was you who got it to be honest, surly you are a millionaire at this stage?

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
For the price it was sold (??)
I guess that's another proto we wont be seeing soon...

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Latest Tweets from seller:

The second successful bidder contacted us directly, but negotiations have been difficult and we have not yet proceeded with the re-listing.
For the time being, we are asking you to contact us via an agency.

Now of a certain overseas NEOGEO community.
(* This image is fiction. It has nothing to do with real people or groups.) <insert some weird Japanese comic>

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Considering what some games are going for at auction these days, the buyer could probably flip it for even more cash, possibly six figures.