Universe Bios 3.1 released!

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
So what can you do with the serial/usb support? Can one backup/restore memory cards for example?

I just wanted to clarify that the current design is not serial, or serial over usb. It's a usb bulk transfer requiring a custom driver and pc based client.

mikew

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
OK, that means Windows only I guess?

There's a windows client that looks much like the original parallel port based pc2neo client however it uses USB for transferring data. There's also a command line client which is more friendly for developers as it can be scripted for use in makefiles. This command line client also has a linux port and works equally as well in that environment. With little effort that could also be ported to any x86 based POSIX compliant operating system assuming that operating system provides a full accessible USB subsystem. Something like Intel OSX or Solaris X86 would work, SGI IRIX would not.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
BIOS arrived today, thanks man!

About the Arduino, I thought serial could be fast enough to import/export scores :(

Anyway thanks Mike for your comment, I'm sure a faster standard platform will better serve homebrew developers.

Keeping the neo alive! :buttrock:

Professor Plum

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I just got the new 3.1 unibios today and it is really slick!
Another good job by RAZ!

Last edited:
Just purchased one of these from you Raz, Looking forward to messing around with it when I get my board back!

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Mine arrived yesterday... damn it's good to have your high scores saved between cabs and my cmvs.

Best you all get your orders in quick.. :D

Cheers Raz. :buttrock:

Tehcno

Bao's Babysitter
20 Year Member
I've been wanting to upgrade to the UniBios for many years and I'm glad that I decided to do so with this new update. Just placed my order early this morning. Thanks Razoola!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Everything is looking good so far with the new bios, no one has yet to report any problems which I'm very happy about.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
When doing a CRC check with the unibios, what does the rom region affect if NG?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Depends it can be anything. depends where the error is. Its in the P1 ROM space.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I should also note it could be a case of the crc not being known to the database.... Dumping the P1 can be helpful here as it may be a undumped game.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
If anyone of you have used any of the FBA emulators for CPS2, Neo geo, etc. you would have noticed the movelist view inside the emulator when a game is paused.

I would love to see Raz insert something like this into the Unibios. I did a mock up in PERL to see how it would "work".

Obviously they wouldn't be any graphics for the symbols, but a legend and a quick movelist would be great for all those games, or hell even a description, such as the Wii USB loaders have for new games.

Any thoughts.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
There is not the space left in the bios for this. I have actually just been looking at compressing data but even with that there would not be enough room.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
after I wrote that, I wondered if there was a limit the bios could be, I assumed like the sega saturn bios that there was a limit.

thanks

master_d

n00b
Hi score saving!? this is a dream come true! Is there a rough limit to the number of game's hi scores you can save on a standard memory card? neo save masta card?
Thanks again for all the hard work you must've put into this. Will be placing an order for a new chip shortly. I'm still rockin the 2.1 bios

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It depends on the game. Some hi score states take alot more room than others.