Unibios crashes with Daedalus and 5V 3A PSU

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I've been testing some games, and am having issues mainly with hi meg games. I remember reading a post from a search I did a few weeks back regarding this issue, and someone mentioned the makers of the MagicKey converter recommend using a higher Amp, or Watt PSU. I can not remember which, and I can not find the post again.

Basically I am getting crashes only when playing hi meg count games like Garou, Metal Slug 3 + 5, KOF 2003 etc..

Should I be running a PSU that can handle a little more since I am using a Daedalus? If so, specs please, or link to one. I can switch polarity no problems there.

I have been trying to eliminate my PSU is bad, I purchased another and switched the polarity to make sure it ran right. Still the same issues. My games are really clean, I have taken exceptional care of them, and have cleaned all of them inside and out over the last several weeks. I can not even pull dirt out of these things. So I know they are clean.

Here's my setup I am tesing on.

1. Low serial neo 5v 3a version (USA).
2. Console has component, LED, Stereo mods,
3. Unibios, I think 2.4. It's an older version.
4. Daedalus
5. XRGB mini on BenQ monitor, just in case that would matter at all.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Based on my experience I would give up entirely on using converters. You either go MVS or AES, do not try and mix them.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Based on my experience I would give up entirely on using converters. You either go MVS or AES, do not try and mix them.

Yeah, I've gathered that over the years. I was really just hoping this Daedalus would be different. I still have a mvs setup, so I'm OK tinkering with this converter. I really think this is some sort of power issue since it's only high Meg games close to 700 and up. I may just purchase a better psu with higher volts and see what happens. I really just want to know if purchasing a higher wattage psu would help, because I'm not going to experiment with going higher unless someone here suggests it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It could be due to the weight of the cart causing it to lean forward too much. When I tested a Daedalus, I found it worked reliably when I put a piece of foam between the front of the cart and the case inside the cart slot.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
It could be due to the weight of the cart causing it to lean forward too much. When I tested a Daedalus, I found it worked reliably when I put a piece of foam between the front of the cart and the case inside the cart slot.

Unfortunately that is not working for me. I also tried making sure the mvs cart is not hanging down, but putting some support under it.

Its really just mark of the wolves being super picky. I can't get it past the beginning of the intro, just lots of random address errors. But the other games like slug 5, kof 2003, matrimelee and such, normally work fine, but sometimes throw errors. Its just this damn MOTW being so picky.

I ran a check in the BIOS and it passes. Unfortunately I sold my 2 slot cause I plan on getting a one slot, so I can't test on supergun right now. I'm wondering if there is actually something wrong with my cart.

I'm going to try it on a cab later this week, and see if it works.

In the event that it does, do you all have any more suggestions?

Could a different PSU possibly help? I know in the past with modded systems, I have had issues with things like everdrives, and ten noe koe banks.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I got a Daedalus recently and it has worked fine for me with unibios 3.3 and played Razion and MS4, however my AES is a 3-5 IIRC.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
just to be clear it will be the game crashing and not the universebios here.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Yeah I meant crash report.

Is there a guide somewhere to learn the various error codes?

One100bill

n00b
I have a first gen American Neo with a low serial # with the same PSU you have, unibios 3.0, 1st gen Daedalus and the 161 in 1 MVS cart and everything runs great. Every once in a while a game may crash but all I do is push the reset button, go into the dip settings for that particular game, set them to default and start and that seems to work 99.9% of the time. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Yeah I meant crash report.

Is there a guide somewhere to learn the various error codes?

The actual error type is easy tounderstand. 99% of the time it will be either 'illegal instruction' or 'address error'. In simple terms Illegal instruction indicates the 68000 does not understand the opcode it is trying to execute. Address error indicates the 68000 has been given an instruction to read a word or longword value from misaligned address. For the rest of it you need to understand a little ASM and the neogeo memory map. In general if the address is before 0x2FFFFF then the crash happened during game execution.

Raz

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Thought I would add some pictures to this. Still my only MVS cart giving me hell. Not sure exactly what these 2 errors mean, but 9/10 times these both pop up as soon as you boot the game and the SNK logo disappears in game, not in the boot up screen. This happens as soon as the in game intro music begins. Very rarely do I make it past that SNK logo, but if I do, it crashes at character select screen.

001.JPG
005.JPG

Last edited: