UMK3 jamma cab to MVS

Akuma632

n00b
I have an UMK3 arcade machine (jamma) and I'm wondering how hard it would be to get it to play MVS carts ? And if changing the buttons over is hard too. It's my 1st arcade machine so I'm totally confused as what to do and I'm sorry for being a noob to the forums too so if this is posted in the wrong place my mistake

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I have an UMK3 arcade machine (jamma) and I'm wondering how hard it would be to get it to play MVS carts ? And if changing the buttons over is hard too. It's my 1st arcade machine so I'm totally confused as what to do and I'm sorry for being a noob to the forums too so if this is posted in the wrong place my mistake

One slot motherboards are already JAMMA spec, so you'll need to get or make an adapter (like this) if you decide to get into multi-slot motherboards. Additionally, the button layout for UMK3 is very non-standard, so you will need to either replace the CP and wire up button 4 to the JAMMA connector OR figure out how you're going to map the 4th button and wire up button 4 to the JAMMA connector.

Lemony Vengeance

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
This thread doesn't exist, I saw nothing.

Seriously though. This is why you buy Generic Cabs like a dynamo and not a dedicated machine with its specific JAMMA+ wiring and layout.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

This thread doesn't exist, I saw nothing.

Seriously though. This is why you buy Generic Cabs like a dynamo and not a dedicated machine with its specific JAMMA+ wiring and layout.

Yeah, changing a umk3 cab isn't ideal.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
However, depending on what Neo Geo games he wants to play, the three buttons would work for quite a few, although if I remember my MK harness layout, I think High punch, high kick, and block are on the JAMMA harness (or low punch, low kick, and block)... So, it may make games a bit awkward there.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
UMK3 also uses a run button.

It's a terrible idea to change a cab like that.
But hell... to each his own!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
However, depending on what Neo Geo games he wants to play, the three buttons would work for quite a few, although if I remember my MK harness layout, I think High punch, high kick, and block are on the JAMMA harness (or low punch, low kick, and block)... So, it may make games a bit awkward there.

Correct, those are the JAMMA buttons. Highs + BLK

Akuma632

n00b
UMK3 also uses a run button.

It's a terrible idea to change a cab like that.
But hell... to each his own!

Ok thanks maybe I'll find another way to play my MVS carts and leave UMK3 the way it is.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
How hard would it be to just make a swappable CP?

Akuma632

n00b
I was wondering that as well, or how to get an adaptor that goes from the MVS jamma to a Neo Geo AES controller

bdlou

Quiz Detective
Aren't the monitors in UMK3 machine 24Hz? Will the Neo work on that?