Twinkle Star Sprites on the Saturn

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I used to own TSS on the Neo-Geo, but I traded it (let's not talk about it, I did make money off it in end though) because I got the Saturn version of the game. Let me just say, anyone who is a fan of this game needs to own this version. The amount of extras included is amazing, PLUS it has the 100% original arcade version included.

Here are all the things that are added:
-Much better quality music
-Tons more characters in Saturn mode. Play as all the bosses plus one new character and the upgraded main character from the story mode is also selectable.
-Saturn version has an added power up that raises your P meter
-It saves all the high scores, of course
-FULLY customizable controls
-A second CD with like 600 artwork images and lot of bizzarre spoken picture show sequences.
-ALL the between game dialogue is spoken by top notch voice actors.
-Really nice credit rolling scene after you win.
-Opening cinema with a TSS song.

The only negatives are that it has load times, and the in game voices seem to be a little lower quality. Overall though, this is a must own for TSS fans. I knew not much was written about it, but having played both the home cart and this version, I feel I can give a very good comparison.
Like I said, the original Neo-Geo version is also included without the added power up and characters, so you're not missing out on anything except shorter load times. (Yes, the slowdown is in it as well, purposefully I imagine.)

Icebraf

Rugal's Thug
Do you own the Dreamcast version, too ? Is it better than the sat version ?

TheBigBB

The Dreamcast version does not have the extras of the Saturn version. It does not have the extra character or the art disc. Other than that, I am not sure but I read a comparison of the two and the Saturn version sounded clearly superior. Remember, these were both Japanese only releases and the Saturn was much more popular in Japan than the DC so they put more time into that version.
Only plus to the DC one that I remember offhand is that it has an English language option.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this: Some of the art is REALLY disturbing. They have a few risque shots of some of them. Even the ones that look 5. That's Japan for you....

Daisuke Jigen

R.I.P.,, Dear Friend,
Twinkuluuuu staaaaaa!
Twinkuluuuu staaaaaa!

That is the best fucking game ever. I do not have the MVS version to compare it to however.

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Dude, the normally unselectable characters have always been selectable; you just have to press Up*4 or Down*4 over Ran or Griffon before pushing a button to select them. Which means they really added only one new character in the Saturn version, and I still have yet to see her (if only I had a Saturn...).

And yes, I'm also sure that the slowdown is on purpose. I've seen more stuff litter the screen on Strikers +, and the slowdown was only marginal. Besides, the slowdown on TSS looks more forced than natural anyways.

And just because I'm a prick ( :p ):
tsshia.gif

tsshib.gif

tsshic.gif

C

Caris Nautilus

TSS sucks, what a shit game (sorry guys).

Nice cute graphics, very crisp, but the game sucks pants.

Baby Bonnie Hood

King's Dry Cleaner
Originally posted by Drift King EX:
<strong>TSS sucks, what a shit game (sorry guys).

Nice cute graphics, very crisp, but the game sucks pants.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What made you reach that conclusion? How can you hate the concept of a competitive shooter? Or is it something else entirely?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by dmhawkmoon:
<strong>Other than that, I am not sure but I read a comparison of the two and the Saturn version sounded clearly superior. Remember, these were both Japanese only releases and the Saturn was much more popular in Japan than the DC so they put more time into that version.
Only plus to the DC one that I remember offhand is that it has an English language option.
</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you have played the DC version and the Saturn version, you would know that the DC one kicks the shit out of the Saturn version. The Saturn version is great for fan stuff, thats true. But the DC has more game play options and clearer audio on the sound effects.

The DC version has a option that allows you to choose between 3 different processor speeds. One of which eliminated all slow down, very big plus. Also you have the ability to choose between 3 different sound tracks. Original, Original High Quality, and Arranged. It also has a score bug fix option.

The only time I ever touch my Saturn version is for the Eternal Box disc, I never play the Saturn version. Like I said, get the Saturn version for the fan stuff, get the DC version for the playability.

TheBigBB

Dude, the normally unselectable characters have always been selectable; you just have to press Up*4 or Down*4 over Ran or Griffon before pushing a button to select them. Which means they really added only one new character in the Saturn version, and I still have yet to see her (if only I had a Saturn...). <hr></blockquote>

I never got that to work, I thought it was a code for some other version. Maybe the CD version or something.

TheBigBB

The DC version has a option that allows you to choose between 3 different processor speeds. One of which eliminated all slow down, very big plus. Also you have the ability to choose between 3 different sound tracks. Original, Original High Quality, and Arranged. It also has a score bug fix option. <hr></blockquote>

I wouldn't want the slowdown to stop, it's an integral part of the gameplay that I like... So turning it off wouldn't really make me too excited. Other than that, what else is better? The Saturn version has an extra character and really good sound. It has the original and original high quality. So what it sounds like to me is that the DC version has arranged sound mode and no slowdown mode, and the Saturn has the artwork and the character. How does that mean the DC one kicks its ass?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by dmhawkmoon:
<strong>

I wouldn't want the slowdown to stop, it's an integral part of the gameplay that I like... So turning it off wouldn't really make me too excited. Other than that, what else is better? The Saturn version has an extra character and really good sound. It has the original and original high quality. So what it sounds like to me is that the DC version has arranged sound mode and no slowdown mode, and the Saturn has the artwork and the character. How does that mean the DC one kicks its ass?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not sure why you would want slowdown, but ok.. I dont think the slowdown is needed in the game. Kinda annoys me... Before you try to compare the Saturn to the DC version, play the DC one. Again, the Saturn one if great for fan shit, but the DC one plays/sounds better. The DC one kicks the Saturn versions ass in GAME PLAY and SOUND, period. You also get all the extra characters in the DC game with the joy code. I dont play TSS to view the art work, I play it for the fun. If I have the need to view the art, I'll pop in the Saturn of Neo CD version.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Originally posted by Baby Bonnie Hood:
<strong>

What made you reach that conclusion? How can you hate the concept of a competitive shooter? Or is it something else entirely?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's just because this game is a symbol of a game system he can't afford, so keep blaiming and claiming to be a failure blah blah blah.

Just ignore him.

EssenceK

n00b
The other advantage the DC Version has over the Saturn version is that English, Spanish, OR Japanese is selectable!

(Saturn version is only Japanese language.)

Don't tell me SNK couldn't have fit all those images on that GD-ROM! :(

TheBigBB

I like the slowdown. I wouldn't want to play without it. I heard that the DC one had none, so I immediately crossed it off as a choice.

There are basically two times when slowdown will occur I think. ONE is when you use a bomb. If you figure that bomb usage is to clear the screen and give you a chance to get your shit together, then the slowdown coming when you use a bomb is really not a big deal. It slows it down so you can reorient yourself.
I think it also slows down with too much on the screen, of course. Well in thise case it's just giving you a chance to actually see what's happening. It would suck to have 100 fast moving things kill you before you could react. Honestly, sometimes it does get a little too crazy to comprehend unless you get a little bit of slowdown.
If you can turn it on on the DC that's cool. But I'd still rather have the Saturn one cause using a boot disc hurts the loading mechanism and I'd never turn off the slowdown.
They're both better choices than the Neo-Geo one, that's for sure. That was the main point of this thread, cause way back when I asked which version was the best and EVERYONE said the Neo-Geo original, which was clearly just fanboys talking.

[ June 09, 2002: Message edited by: dmhawkmoon ]</p>

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I own all the three version.

I think the Saturn version is nice, a great 'custom port'.

DC version seems aiming to be an actual replacement of the original NG version.

But the magic of the original is unmatchable.

Boat200

New Challenger
Been playing the Saturn version. Such a badass game. But, those loading times (although short) are killing me.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I did learn stuff from the OP at least. lol