Twinkle Star Sprites boot

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Hello everyone.

So I got a handful of games from the local game store, and some ended up being boots. Considering the price I paid, I'm not upset at all. I just want to play them honestly.

Anyway, I got a boot of TSS, but it's not working properly, and was wondering if maybe the jumper settings are incorrect? The whole thing looks like quite the hack job.
IMG_3952.JPGIMG_3955.JPG

Also, upon further inspection, it looks like the C3-4 are using 4mb EPROMs? But the data for the files is only 1mb. The C1-C2 are both 4mb however.

When I put the game in, I get the intro jingle, and Unibios splash. The "NEO GEO" logo is all distorted, but the rest is okay. Then the "this game is suitable for all ages" screen with the credits on either side shows up fine. Then when the main intro starts, the sound and graphics are all distoted and glitchy?

Any insight on how I could get this working? I'm going to be buying an EPROM programmer soon, so if something needs re-burned I could try my hand at that.

Also, anyone ever seen a TSS boot before?

Attachments

• IMG_3952.JPG
    IMG_3952.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 245
  • IMG_3955.JPG
    IMG_3955.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 245

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Oh boy. No amount of re-jumpering will fix that mess. The c roms have completely the wrong type of the eprom. Not only are the eproms the incorrect size but they have a different bus configuration. Same with V1. It looks like the creator of that boot just slapped in what ever eproms were cheaply available and didn't bother to power it up because there is no way it would ever remotely work.

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Oh boy. No amount of re-jumpering will fix that mess. The c roms have completely the wrong type of the eprom. Not only are the eproms the incorrect size but they have a different bus configuration. Same with V1. It looks like the creator of that boot just slapped in what ever eproms were cheaply available and didn't bother to power it up because there is no way it would ever remotely work.

That's kind of what I'm gathering as well. :keke: I'm looking at the datasheets for the EPROMs in there, and they're all over the place on sizes. Kinda dissapointing because I was really looking forward to being able to play this. What would I need to swap out to make it work?

I guess I'll see if I can make this into something else once I get a programmer if not. I've been eyeballing the Gq-4x. No sense letting this board go to waste. I also got a boot MS4 and Neo Bomberman. Both of those work fine. Only paid 10 bucks each, so I can't complain.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I fixed a few carts recently, (bad PCB's, cart pins, etc.), I think I may have some official mask roms that you could put in there, if you're interested. It wouldn't be TSS though.

Update: I have a KOF95 and SSIII, the others wouldn't help. I think I ended up getting 8 carts over the last year, and was able to fix about 5 of them or repurpose them into a single working cart. Damn MVS carts get nasty.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Got a twinkle star sprites mvs cart. Took apart and checked the boards.....oh my god.......
I just took one picture and decided to return to the seller........

image.jpeg

RetroTechRewind

Crazed MVS Addict
Got a twinkle star sprites mvs cart. Took apart and checked the boards.....oh my god.......
I just took one picture and decided to return to the seller........

View attachment 33870

Good lord. You sure that's hot glue? :thevt:

Luckily I was able to get mine working. I bought an EPROM burner and used it as a learning experience. Good luck on your search for a working cart Liquid. TSS is absolutely fantastic, especially with 2 people. I know my copy is a boot, but hey, it works and I paid $30 for it.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Good lord. You sure that's hot glue? :thevt:

Luckily I was able to get mine working. I bought an EPROM burner and used it as a learning experience. Good luck on your search for a working cart Liquid. TSS is absolutely fantastic, especially with 2 people. I know my copy is a boot, but hey, it works and I paid $30 for it.

Yep, that's hot glue :D
It's even on the second board as well.

For TSS, I don't mind a boot.............

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Since I've made a TSS cart in the past, I can tell you that it requires 3 V roms, I think V2 has to be split iirc. Not to mention a 4096 and 160 can't be mixed as they have way different pinouts. Even the C roms are the wrong kind of chip.

For the new post of a cart, if it's only the P1 that is an EEPROM then it could be just a repair.