Turboexpress LCD mod

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I picked up a Turboexpress with a cracked screen with the intention of installing a new larger LCD.

I gotta say Im very happy how things turned out.

20140824_100532.jpg

20140824_100546.jpg

20140826_171603.jpg

20140824_162815.jpg

20140824_162720.jpg

20140824_160113.jpg

20140824_162806.jpg

20140826_160148_LLS.jpg

20140826_160211_LLS.jpg

Last edited:

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
That's freaking cool. I want to get my GT back now :lolz:

BTW, is it a RGB LCD screen or a composite one? I've been looking for a good RGB LCD screen for my Nomad but the ones I found were all composite.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
It's just composite. I doubt RGB would make that much more of a difference on such a small screen.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Wow thats awesome! Almost makes me want a GT just to do that!

Shivan128

Mr. Big's Thug
This is pretty freakin' sweet. If only the everdrive worked on it, I may actually consider doing something like this!!!

lastcallhall

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
That new LCD looks super sharp. What screen did you use? I picked up a TE in a lot a few months back that needs some love.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Holy shit that screen is huge compared to the original.

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Wow, that's a hell of an upgrade!
Are the connections the same?
What else did you have to do to install it?
I find myself wondering if it would be possible to retro-fit an NGPC with a modern backlit screen instead of hybridising them with GBA-SP front-lights?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'd love to get my Nomad and Express new screens. I've seen all of the photos and videos online of people putting in them and they look amazing. Does it cut down on the battery power they chew up?

I had a problem with my Express that the external cable would come out often. I remember trying to play through Parasol Stars all the way through since you can't save the game on an Express and halfway through the game the cable fell out and I lost everything. (Still haven't beat the game on official hardware)

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Hey guys,

My turboeverdrive works just fine with both my Turboexpresses and a friend uses one on his with no issues.

The LCD I used is one that I've had for a while in case that I would get a Sega Nomad, I was going to remove the Nomads stock screen and install this one.

Go on eBay and search back up LCD screen, there's many people selling them, usually from China.

The connections are not the same, you have to get composite out of the huC6260.

I will say that anyone that plays on a Turboexpress with this LCD installed will find it very difficult to go back to a Turboexpress with a stock screen, the difference is substantial, the stock screen was great 20 years ago but it's too small and you can't read anything.

Cyb!!!! Where you been??? Do you have a Turboexpress? I'll hook you up if you do, you will love it.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I'd love to get my Nomad and Express new screens. I've seen all of the photos and videos online of people putting in them and they look amazing. Does it cut down on the battery power they chew up?

I have seen some battery mods done with large lipolys, but never one offered for sale or with a guide.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
A battery mod would be really simple and I'm thinking of doing one on the Turboexpress, I have already done it to my Sega Nomad.

It's just a Sony npf550 camcorder battery, tons of them on eBay.

The new LCD drastically improves battery life.

zxtec

Cheng's Errand Boy
Nice job, looks great and a major upgrade from the original. Might have to attempt this mod on mine.

cyb

n00b
Hey guys,

My turboeverdrive works just fine with both my Turboexpresses and a friend uses one on his with no issues.

The LCD I used is one that I've had for a while in case that I would get a Sega Nomad, I was going to remove the Nomads stock screen and install this one.

Go on eBay and search back up LCD screen, there's many people selling them, usually from China.

The connections are not the same, you have to get composite out of the huC6260.

I will say that anyone that plays on a Turboexpress with this LCD installed will find it very difficult to go back to a Turboexpress with a stock screen, the difference is substantial, the stock screen was great 20 years ago but it's too small and you can't read anything.

Cyb!!!! Where you been??? Do you have a Turboexpress? I'll hook you up if you do, you will love it.

Hey buddy. was out of the retro game for a bit but I'm back in. Sent you a pm.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Nice! You can actually read the text clearly on the new screen.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
that's is asstastic! Good work on the mod, a little jelli

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Thanks guys.

I forgot to mention that the new screen also has adjustable settings like brightens, color, contrast.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks for posting this! This looks like a dramatic improvement and am gonna try to do this myself. Is it hard to figure out how to replace the screen as far as connecting the wires and taking it apart?

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
You have to get composite out of the huC6260 (lift 5 pins and ground them and tap 4 more pins), after that it's just feeding composite to the LCD.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Is there any way you could post a link to a proper replacement lcd screen(for the US TurboExpress) on ebay?