Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Anyways, another awesome vid Alec. Thanks for all the hard work you do.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm hoping the next video will show Quiz Daisousasen like you've never seen it before.

EoBb99OXcAUl4Wl

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
The video is finished. This took quite a bit of editing work. Hope you enjoy it.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Bwahaha the Friday the 13th quiz question is such a credit stealer, you'd answer Jason even if you knew with that tight time limit!

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Very interesting video. I enjoyed the translations very much. Great work as usual. Thank you.

I first obtained all 4 quiz games back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. And I have played through them several times in my life, with each subsequent session being FAR easier then the previous! The first time was extremely difficult as I was limited to just the default lives & credits provided on the home console and the memory card. I literally wrote down over a hundred of the questions and answers (using key symbols/letters as references) as a cheat sheet to get me through it. The second time was several years later, and was WAY easier by using the MVS mode in the debug bios for unlimited continues. Still quite time consuming, but much less work. And then more recently I played through them yet again, and this time it was a cakewalk by utilizing the Unibios and its cheats menu which eliminates wrong answers.

Anyway you do it, it’s definitely cool seeing all the scenes and hearing all the music; despite not really knowing exactly what is going on in the story.

I’ve always thought that a great idea for these games (and hoped that someday somebody could do it) would be to change all of the questions and answers to English. Not by translation mind you; as that would simply result in outdated and not so enjoyable subject matter, but rather by modification where as the questions and answers would be “all about NeoGeo” type of trivia. Stuff like: “Which title was the first mega shock release?” and “What are the names of the two heroes in Cyber Lip?” and “Ryo’s BGM in Art of Fighting 2 is from which previous title?” Etc. I think that would make it much more enjoyable, for an American audience, especially present day.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Very interesting video. I enjoyed the translations very much. Great work as usual. Thank you.

I first obtained all 4 quiz games back in the late 90’s/early 2000’s. And I have played through them several times in my life, with each subsequent session being FAR easier then the previous! The first time was extremely difficult as I was limited to just the default lives & credits provided on the home console and the memory card. I literally wrote down over a hundred of the questions and answers (using key symbols/letters as references) as a cheat sheet to get me through it. The second time was several years later, and was WAY easier by using the MVS mode in the debug bios for unlimited continues. Still quite time consuming, but much less work. And then more recently I played through them yet again, and this time it was a cakewalk by utilizing the Unibios and its cheats menu which eliminates wrong answers.

Anyway you do it, it’s definitely cool seeing all the scenes and hearing all the music; despite not really knowing exactly what is going on in the story.

I’ve always thought that a great idea for these games (and hoped that someday somebody could do it) would be to change all of the questions and answers to English. Not by translation mind you; as that would simply result in outdated and not so enjoyable subject matter, but rather by modification where as the questions and answers would be “all about NeoGeo” type of trivia. Stuff like: “Which title was the first mega shock release?” and “What are the names of the two heroes in Cyber Lip?” and “Ryo’s BGM in Art of Fighting 2 is from which previous title?” Etc. I think that would make it much more enjoyable, for an American audience, especially present day.
Great suggestion for an English version.
Maybe add a few questions related to Neo-Geo.com drama as well?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I've always felt that an English patch should contain a mix of translated original questions and new updated questions. If you like Neo Geo and video game questions, then Quiz KOF is your game.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
I've always felt that an English patch should contain a mix of translated original questions and new updated questions. If you like Neo Geo and video game questions, then Quiz KOF is your game.

Fair point.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This was a fantastic video as always :buttrock:

I remember the two of us broached this issue while talking about Quiz King of Fighters a few years ago. The translation work would be straightforward, but the tricky part is trying to maintain the game’s intended balance while localizing the content:

[referring to the possible translation of Quiz King of Fighters]
Although not a bad idea, that approach still affects the original intended difficulty balance of the game and potentially creates new problems if this translation is to be enjoyed by a global english speaking audience. For example, very early on the game can throw the following 2 questions at you:

1. Who is the main character of the anime "Ribbon no Kishi"? (correct answer: Sapphire)
2. Finish the title of the following song by Minami Haruo: "___ Okesa". (correct answer: Chanchiki)

The first question is an anime that ran in the 1960's based on a manga by Osamu Tezuka. The second question is a song from 1958. To change the subjects of these questions to a different anime or 1950's song would still pose a significant localization challenge that would vary significantly from culture to culture if the translation is to be serviceable for a global english speaking audience. (i.e. Would a popular classic 1950's song by "The Champs" be recognizable by an english speaker outside of the usa?, etc).

Last edited:

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
The above example is exactly why a direct translation is of little to no interest to most NeoGeo gamers who would actually take the time to play through the game. Our culture and history here is completely different and many, if not most, of the questions would be silly and boring.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Another informative and entertaining video, Alec. The only quiz games I’ve played on the Neo have been Chibi Marukochan and Quiz KOF. I definitely learned some things from this latest video. Thanks for your work on it. :)

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Thanks for watching and your compliments, all. You help keep me going.

The tricky part of a translation would be the scope. I'm sure the amount of text is quite large.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Video was great. It made my day yesterday. Little things count right now. Thanks dude.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Review was light hearted and funny. Looked like a lot of effort went in and I was very happy to watch man. I look forward to the next vid.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Great video as always! It was great to see some of these quiz games more in depth. It's the biggest gap in Neo knowledge I have due to the language barrier.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Hey. Your Last Resort video was pretty fucking awesome. Its probably the one neo geo game Ive played the most on my aes or in general. I enjoyed it. Just wanted to tell you that. Take it easy.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
"Jam your pod in there" made my day. Thanks again for another excellent review. Such a great game and even though I never played (or saw) it in the arcade, I have a bit of nostalgia for Last Resort since it was the first shmup I got after getting my AES about 10 years ago. That's long enough for nostalgia right? Feels like forever ago lol

I second @BlackaneseNiNjA Thank you for keeping these going! :multi_co:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Agreed, I enjoy your reviews a lot, good combination of review and strategy/advice.

looking forward to the next one!