Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Dion wouldn't have shit on anyone. His antics have been documented so much that no lawyer would touch him. If anything Dion's lucky so few of us are around that remembers the slimy shit he did to fuck over this hobby.

Oh let's not forget his partner in crime Chris Ray. Shawn alone has enough shit on him along with Jeff Kurtz to turn his asshole inside out.

Edit: I know the NGF Bible is around out there somewhere if anyone wants to find it. It was something I wrote from Gui_Long's original documentation and cleaned up to a more "readable" format. lol

2nd Edit: Found it.

http://mpatard1.free.fr/neogeofreaks/The_NGF_Bible.html Some screenshots included. lol

Ha, yes, there is certainly a lot of stuff that is practically undeniable, but there are certainly things where the lines are more blurred. I remember lots of people coming out saying KoF 2K US was fake... yet, it later turned out to be legitimate (did it not?).

Maybe he would take action, maybe he wouldn't. Who knows....

I'd still like to watch it though :D

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I remember Dion IM'ng me via AOL always pushing his carts and inserts. Always tried to make you feel shitty for having originals. lol

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I remember Dion IM'ng me via AOL always pushing his carts and inserts. Always tried to make you feel shitty for having originals. lol
I always feel dirty when I buy anything neo geo related.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I played 2020 Super Baseball for the first time two weeks ago. The presentation is great, and I can see how they tried to make it as appealing as possible to play a baseball game in the arcade. The game wasn't for me but awesome video Alec. Having the SNES and Genesis comparisons was a good choice. Glad you're keeping this up.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
My favorite Neo sports game. Shame they only ever made one. Bigger shame we're not playing baseball like this now and the game lied to us.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
It's time to set the cracker!

Now we set the crackers with cheese spread yummy :LOL: 2020 super baseball is one of the few futuristic sports games that i enjoy but like you stated in the review it's hard in single player.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Now we set the crackers with cheese spread yummy :LOL: 2020 super baseball is one of the few futuristic sports games that i enjoy but like you stated in the review it's hard in single player.
I actually got pretty good at it, but as usual in baseball, it can go wrong really fast, which is why I mentioned saving and loading. It's cheap and surely not the correct way to play.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I miss saying "We're in the year of Super Baseball 2020 we still don't (...)" 2 years ago... I miss the year of the cracker

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I actually got pretty good at it, but as usual in baseball, it can go wrong really fast, which is why I mentioned saving and loading. It's cheap and surely not the correct way to play.

You can employ the same tactic with Big Tournament Golf ;)

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I played 2020 Super Baseball for the first time two weeks ago. The presentation is great, and I can see how they tried to make it as appealing as possible to play a baseball game in the arcade. The game wasn't for me but awesome video Alec. Having the SNES and Genesis comparisons was a good choice. Glad you're keeping this up.
Used to play this all the time as a kid. I had no idea about any of the mechanics aside from hitting and pitching though 🤣 I honestly haven't played it since I was something like 10 years old.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
And now I'm doing it all over again with Soccer Brawl:

I finally got some time to more or less finish the script today. This one will be on the shorter side, so I hope to have it done sometime sooner than later.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Excellent video, as always. But it's strange... I could swear my eur MVS cart had the bikini girls (I never saw that empty screen version) 🤔 I'll check my cart soon and tell you what I find out.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Excellent video, as always. But it's strange... I could swear my eur MVS cart had the bikini girls (I never saw that empty screen version) 🤔 I'll check my cart soon and tell you what I find out.
Yeah, please let us know. It wouldn't surprise me at all if some of the MVS carts have the AES rom on them.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Yep, I confirm my MVS cart has the bikini babes: 😉

DhjnFcY.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't have the time to check the dip switches, but I'm playing on default settings, if that helps.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Yep, I confirm my MVS cart has the bikini babes: 😉

DhjnFcY.jpg

I'm sorry I didn't have the time to check the dip switches, but I'm playing on default settings, if that helps.
Nice find! Thanks for confirming. You mentioned yours is a Euro cart. Does it have a serial? Mine is the Japanese cart shown in the video, with no serial. It doesn't have the babes.

There seems to be two main rom sets out there for this game. The original set and the "AES" set. Those are the two I was referencing in the video. I wonder if some of the non-Japanese prints are from a slightly newer run.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
On MVS Scans, there are sets with PG1, P1 or EPROM on the top board. Which ones do you guys have?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Mine is PG1, and doesn't have the ladies.

Does the G usually indicate an intended alternate version?

Last edited:

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Gonna check this afternoon and send you pics of the cart and boards (in fact, I have more than one Soccer Brawl cart so I can make a multiple investigation) ;)

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
So after checking my shelves it turned out I had seven Soccer Brawl carts (please don't ask 🤦‍♂️ ). I was pretty sure I'd find the bikini girls in every cart, but when I tried the first one, I got this screen:

Cu2zI1s.jpg

A-ha! Interesting.
Being an old game in the Neo library, Soccer Brawl doesn't come with a serial number, so it's really hard to understand which carts are from an earlier production; but it seems like there are two types of boards and two types of chip sets, as you guys mentioned (and as shown on MVS-scans). One has a couple of factory Eproms.
The final result of my investigation is that... three carts didn't have the babes, and four carts had them. 🤔

Here's the carts that show the girls in the scoreboard. Of these four carts, only two have the Eprom board set, so those sets can't be used as a reliable indication of an updated version of the game. It's worth noting that the two sets without the Eproms (first two photos) use different revisions of the Prog42G-1 board, but the chip configuration is exactly the same.

EqygnFw.jpg

Larn6VF.jpg

Here's the carts that don't show the girls, like the japanese one you've used for the review. One of the carts doesn't have a label, and sometimes italian arcade operators did that when they bought the japanese version of an MVS game (but that's just speculation). I've checked and there's no original label under the handwritten one.
lYDbdpb.jpg

ZcA83e8.jpg

I don't know if we can draw a conclusion here... but I suspect that the version with the girls came later in the production, since three of those four carts use a newer type of Prog42G-1 board (at least, it looks newer to me, judging from the writing... I'm not an expert in board revisions). 😉

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Wow, that's a lot of Soccer Brawl's! Thanks for sharing! The ones without the ladies are all PG1, and some with the ladies are EPROMs. Not sure what conclusions can be drawn other than the usual scattered revision differences from SNK.