Trying to get back into Beat'em Ups

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
After a hiatus of almost 10 years I am trying to get back into playing, training and enjoying fighting games.

Wether I'll manage to keep up with all the good gamers and find my way back into properly using a stick?

Who knows...
Especially now that I have a little son.

But I'll gonna try it anyway - so are there any good tutorials for stuff like SFV or some of the older Neo Geo fighting games?

Not sure if ng.com had a section for that.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Skullgirls has a good tutorial mode...

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
personally, i would say just pick a few games you fancy, and play with your favourite characters until your good at it. don't try to master a long list of games with every character. i would pick a couple of older games like fatal fury special and street fighter 2, and some later releases like king of fighters 97/98 and sf alpha 2. and maybe just one modern fighter like sf 4/5 or kof 13.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm doing the same. I had a few failed starts over the last few years, but after getting my MVS cabinet and one cart being that 161in1 with it I've been picking away at a few old favorites. I'd like to get good at Samurai Shodown 3 again as I used to be great at it, World Heroes the original one being another while I do have a real cart for it (and SS2 and KOF98 too.) I figure anyone should try and apply at least a few quarters worth of tries most days of the week to learn the moves on at least 1-2 characters to get some variety and get better with it. Once something gets boring, softdip the challenge up a notch or two.

AcidRedux

n00b
I just purchased an AES that came with Fatal Fury Special and have been playing the hell out of it, I feel like I overlooked it all these years. Samurai Shodown II is another great game that's easy to get into.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
beat 'em ups = Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Final Fight, Double Dragon, etc

fighters = KOF, SamSho, Tekken, VF, etc

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
welp, I guess I have to invade Germany.

I'll get my BB gun and a bic lighter.

Missile

Another Striker
My main tip is play online the first session, don't wait until you feel 'perfect'. You just learn so much from playing online, even subconsciously. Playing in one player mode is a sure way to pick up bad habits. Being good in one-player mode can often mean that you play badly in a 2 player situation. So best thing to do is enter training mode and practice combos etc, then go online for 5 games. Then back into training mode to train anything you aren't getting working properly and then go back online again. And repeat.

Bear in mind it takes time for your brain to make new connections or to re-affirm old ones, so don't put too much time in at once.

Also enjoy losing and fixing your mistakes. Losing a close match when you played well is a better feeling than winning a game easily.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Honestly, playing a game is the best tutorial you can get. Learn the basics of the characters you like, their ranges, ways to poke and get good with the move inputs and fundamentals.

The only way to get better from there is playing people that are better than you so you can learn to adapt and branch out. Fightcade is a great resource if you can't get people local.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
As all others already said to you above, playing a fighting game a couple of hours every day makes you better. I recommend you to start playing your favourite fighting game first. Pick you all time favourite Ryu and start fighting. You can watch some random youtube videos to seek for some strategies when you can't get past a specific fighter in the roster. Good luck!

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Well worth checking out Fightcade, it's essential tool particularly if you don't happen to know anyone locally. Had some really good games of SFIIX on it.

Ive also been having an absolute riot with Fatal Fury Real Bout lately. Pretty sure I could juggle the FF series along with Super Turbo/KOF and be content.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That's my favorite too long term from the get go. I never was huge on Fatal Fury or KOF, though I did/do like KOF98 (which was dumb sheer luck I got it with my MVS weeks ago as it was a gem on Dreamcast.) But early on when SS was new I found #1 in a cabinet, loved it so much I got the SNES and Gameboy release. Currently I still have the GB and GG releases, didn't see a why to holding onto the SNES as again MVS version. It's unique with the 2D sword play in a world that was SF2 or MK1 and their clones it stood out with the blade battles.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm probably the only idiot in here, but I was let down that he wasn't looking for a beat em up. It's getting harder and harder to get people together to play a 4 player round of TMNT or Simpsons. Thank goodness fightcade has some CPS2 versions on there.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
haha must be a cultural thing since Beat'em Ups = fighting games here in Germany :)

I'm looking forward to install Fightcade.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
- Weapon Lord
- TMNT Tournament Fighters
- Power Rangers: Fighting Edition
- Gundam Wing Endless Duel

All for SNES. All amazing fighters.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Well worth checking out Fightcade, it's essential tool particularly if you don't happen to know anyone locally. Had some really good games of SFIIX on it.

Ive also been having an absolute riot with Fatal Fury Real Bout lately. Pretty sure I could juggle the FF series along with Super Turbo/KOF and be content.

Yes def check out fightcade. If you want to get good best way is to play against human opponents. Jump into the game head first. Spend a hour looking up a faq on ur game of choice to brush up on all the game mechanics and try to memorize acouple character movelist then just play. It's easy to pick up on the older snk and capcom games. You will learn from ur better opponent and pick up cheap setups too. Don't think a game is to hard. You don't need to be on tournament level. Ppl psych themselves out or seem to be put off by friendly competition. Just do it

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
For SFV especially since its new, find your local fighting game community (if you have one) and go out and play with them. The best way to learn fighting games is to play with a community of players. Hopefully you have a scene that gathers weekly to play. Use that, training mode, and online to learn. Also, watching videos of top players can help you understand the character you choose, and also the character match ups in the game. look up the capcom pro tour youtube page. it has tons of content for SFV.

SNK416

King's Dry Cleaner
I believe theres small tutorial in SFV that kinda helps and the move list, other than that jump into some multiplayer matches just to get a feel and keep going. 360, half circles are you friend.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Just curious but what do Europeans call what we refer to as beat'em ups then?