Trinitron monitor blowing fuses

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
I just picked up a cheapish PVM-1953MD off of eBay to use rotated. The shipping was more than the monitor so it's not really worth trying to send it back for this IMO. Hopefully I can repair it.

It ran for a minute or so and looked fantastic, but then the picture got a little wobbly and it turned off. Now, it blows a pair of 125V 3.15A fuses on the power board instantly upon turning it on.

Does anyone here have experience repairing these (or monitors like them)? I've found some info on other forums about similar models having problems with bad solder joints and fried horizontal output transistors but it's not quite enough for me to start ordering parts so I was hoping to get some help here, since it's always been good help.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Bamp. I found a couple of big honking cracks in the power board so things aren't looking good for this monitor. Does anyone have any repair or parts resources they could share with me?

synrgy87

n00b
Bamp. I found a couple of big honking cracks in the power board so things aren't looking good for this monitor. Does anyone have any repair or parts resources they could share with me?

i used to repair CRT monitors all the time, with cracked boards you just gotta make sure thatall the traces are reconnected and all the components that are damaged are replaced , although saying that i'm not sure how bad your one is.

any pictures of the board?

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I agree with what synrgy87 said.
it might be possible to repair or bridge over the damage on the circuit board
but there no guarantees

Photos of the board in question would give us a clue of the extent of the damage.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Here are some pics of the front and back of the board: http://imgur.com/a/zXQ4o

On the top side, you can see two cracks near the yellow transformer (marked 1-427-885-11) between the two large heat sinks. You can see one of those cracks goes through to the bottom on the back.

synrgy87

n00b
I can see that being fixable but like Dark Sakul said, no guarantees, but what have you got to loose?

if possible de-solder the transformer, patch things up make sure to watch out for shorts, test any diodes etc.

if you want to stop the cracks spreading any further you can either use some strong glue and / or drill a small hole at the end of each crack.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Any suggestions for wire to use for this? Those traces are pretty wide.

synrgy87

n00b
Any suggestions for wire to use for this? Those traces are pretty wide.

for the wider ones i use desolder braid as "wire", and plenty of solder, for the not so thick ones any thick wire should be fine preferably copper but wire from computer psu cables should work nicely too ( its 5am here and i cant remember what the actual size of it is) but common sense approach use what seems appropriate