Total #$&* Carnage

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
This has to be one of the best damned TopDown shooters ever created.
I picked up the Midway collection V2, and holy shit was I taken back.

Now, can anyone tell me how in the world I can find 220 keys?

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
With time and patience. :kekeke:

Smash TV is better. :chump:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i just like listening to the intro where the voice goes "TOTAL CARNAGE!" other than that i find the game to be lame... now heavy barrel, there was a game.

PUNJABEE

Banned
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i just like listening to the intro where the voice goes "TOTAL CARNAGE!" other than that i find the game to be lame... now heavy barrel, there was a game.

You just like HB because you got a free HB cab from Pat you jackass.

That game did rock though. :chump:

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
This has to be one of the best damned TopDown shooters ever created.
I picked up the Midway collection V2, and holy shit was I taken back.

Now, can anyone tell me how in the world I can find 220 keys?

Don't take any of the shortcuts (duh), enter every optional "warp room", try moving the character onto parts of the background that will obscure the character sprite (the walls and hills on Stage 1, the buildings off to the sides on Stage 2, trees, around the jets on the "missile strike all jets" mini-stages, etc). I think you'll have enough keys if you get told about a secret warp zone off to the left side around halfway through the last stage.

Even if you enter the Pleasure Dome, you still won't get the best possible ending... but I don't think it's possible to satisfy the conditions for the "best" ending unless you have 2 players. I've never heard of anyone getting an ending better than the regular Pleasure Dome one, for all we know it could be Midway yanking people's chains again ("Kano Transformations" in MKII, need I say more).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Super Smash TV, Guerrilla War and Iron Tank...fuck yeah.

I only have SNES Total Carnage; it's OK, but too fucking unfair and the background are missing some "pizazz" or whatever.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
BBH said:
Don't take any of the shortcuts (duh), enter every optional "warp room", try moving the character onto parts of the background that will obscure the character sprite (the walls and hills on Stage 1, the buildings off to the sides on Stage 2, trees, around the jets on the "missile strike all jets" mini-stages, etc). I think you'll have enough keys if you get told about a secret warp zone off to the left side around halfway through the last stage.

Even if you enter the Pleasure Dome, you still won't get the best possible ending... but I don't think it's possible to satisfy the conditions for the "best" ending unless you have 2 players. I've never heard of anyone getting an ending better than the regular Pleasure Dome one, for all we know it could be Midway yanking people's chains again ("Kano Transformations" in MKII, need I say more).

I think you're right with regard to only being able to collect 220 with 2 players. Even on my best day, I could only gather about 170 keys. I've captured akhboob, found as many warps as I could and that was my best ending.

Seriously, do you guys hate video games? I'm loving this game all over again with its multiple weapons, campy humor and tons of replay value. So what if Smash TV is "better"?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I'd enjoy Total Carnage( No way!) ;)

I don't think it's a bad follow up to Smash TV either.

Still they do seem, to throw every thing at you (even more) then Smash TV does.

I'll have to fire it up on my GC again.... later on i never did get enough "keys for the pleasure dome".

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Magnaflux said:
I think you're right with regard to only being able to collect 220 with 2 players. Even on my best day, I could only gather about 170 keys. I've captured akhboob, found as many warps as I could and that was my best ending.

No, that's not what I meant. Two players are needed in the Pleasure Dome to pick up all the items there, as for regular gameplay, it's definitely possible to pick up 220 keys in solo play. There's a LOT of keys hidden throughout the levels, if necessary sacrifice a couple lives to pick up as many keys around the jets on the missile strike sections. If you play it again you'll probably be able to find more keys.

I think Total Carnage is a better game than Smash TV because there's a lot more variety to it.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
meh, i though total carnage and smash tv (to a lesser extent) were too chaotic for their own good. so much so that the game suffered as a result. MOST of the game is spent pressing start and holding down the fire button til you die again. not fun.

i like the presentation though. it was cool.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
FeelGood said:
fire joystick? :kekeke:

that's better. :kekeke:

anyways, Smash TV and Total Carnage are indeed chaotic games, but that's part of their charm. That's what made the original Robotron 2084 so memorable, being swarmed by enemies and valiantly trying to blast your way out of it. While I've never heard of anyone being able to 1CC either game, I can do somewhat decently at both of them... I've reached the cobra bosses on Smash TV and the last stage on Total Carnage on one credit (but my score sucked on the latter). And besides, both games throw a ton of extra lives your way too, so you shouldn't need to constantly insert credits unless you're fighting a boss or something.

(note that I'm referring to the arcade versions, because Super Smash TV on the SNES is a cakewalk)

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Ya'know, I seem to remember a thread in the War Room titled BBH IS HARDCORE!!...

It's still true bitches :emb:

That fuckin' BBH is one dope SOB yo!

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
BBH said:
that's better. :kekeke:

anyways, Smash TV and Total Carnage are indeed chaotic games, but that's part of their charm. That's what made the original Robotron 2084 so memorable, being swarmed by enemies and valiantly trying to blast your way out of it. While I've never heard of anyone being able to 1CC either game, I can do somewhat decently at both of them... I've reached the cobra bosses on Smash TV and the last stage on Total Carnage on one credit (but my score sucked on the latter). And besides, both games throw a ton of extra lives your way too, so you shouldn't need to constantly insert credits unless you're fighting a boss or something.

(note that I'm referring to the arcade versions, because Super Smash TV on the SNES is a cakewalk)

Quite right. The Midway treasures 2 emu is tops.

If you have any skill, you can usually stretch a single life a long ways. There are more than enough random power ups and weapons to tide you over.

Dropping a bomb gives you 1 second of invulnerablity, I use this tactic quite often to traverse a crowd of enemies in order to pick up a weapon.

Even with Orchu or whatever the giant green bastard's name is you can fight him with 1 or maybe 2 lives. Studying his pattern and using the bomb tactic works great against him. The game isn't that difficult, it just takes a little bit of thought and skill.

Tried again last night and only found 170 keys. :crying: