DoDonPachi Daioujou Black Label
Super R-Type
Gate of Thunder
Soldier Blade
Progear

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
1. musha megadrive/genesis graphics,gameplay,sound track,intro all awesome.just love the concept of this game, a mech shooter in cyberpunk feudal japan. great power ups,my favourite is the barrier ball that absorb all bullets.

2. sengoku blade for the saturn. very similar to musha in style,my favourite shooter on the saturn.

3.truxton megadrive/genesis i thought this game plays like an arcade shooter.there are no levels,so the whole game is just one big level,can get very intense.

4.soldier blade pc engine.one of my first pc engine games. i remember when donpachi first hit the arcades and every one was talking about how intense and chaotic it was,and when i finally soar it for my self i thought it wasn't that special considering that it looked not all that different from soldier blade.

5.derius gaiden i think we all know how good this game is.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
1. musha megadrive/genesis graphics,gameplay,sound track,intro all awesome.just love the concept of this game, a mech shooter in cyberpunk feudal japan. great power ups,my favourite is the barrier ball that absorb all bullets.

2. sengoku blade for the saturn. very similar to musha in style,my favourite shooter on the saturn.

3.truxton megadrive/genesis i thought this game plays like an arcade shooter.there are no levels,so the whole game is just one big level,can get very intense.

4.soldier blade pc engine.one of my first pc engine games. i remember when donpachi first hit the arcades and every one was talking about how intense and chaotic it was,and when i finally soar it for my self i thought it wasn't that special considering that it looked not all that different from soldier blade.

5.derius gaiden i think we all know how good this game is.

1. Steampunk, not cyberpunk

3. You thought because it is. Port.

4. Soldier Blade is/looks nothing like Donpachi

5. Derius?!

Ip Man

15 Year Member
1. Steampunk, not cyberpunk

3. You thought because it is. Port.

4. Soldier Blade is/looks nothing like Donpachi

5. Derius?!

1. not cyberpunk ,steampunk my mistake (who gives a shit)

3.yes it's an arcade port but i only played it on the saturn.

4.at the time soldier blade looked and played more like donpachi more then games of the era such as r type or gradius.

5.excuse me for making a mistake of a name that's spelled and sound very similar to darius. now that i spelled it right,you may finally l know what game i'm talking about.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
He lives in the smoke, guess it's engrish then.

no that's just how it always has been with members of 10 + years.god forbid you make one spelling mistake and they're all sarcastically making fun of you like the comic book guy from the simpsons. they need to get out of the house once in a while.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

4.at the time soldier blade looked and played more like donpachi more then games of the era such as r type or gradius.

5.excuse me for making a mistake of a name that's spelled and sound very similar to darius. now that i spelled it right,you may finally l know what game i'm talking about.

1. You need to give a shit. If it's your favorite, you should have at least a semi-firm understanding of the title's setting.

3. Truxton/Tatsujin never received a saturn port. If it were TRULY a favorite of yours, you would, no doubt, already know this fact.

4. Well, R-TYpe and Gradius are horis..

5. Derius and Darius are pronounced QUITE differently. I already knew what game you were referring to though.

no that's just how it always has been with members of 10 + years.god forbid you make one spelling mistake and they're all sarcastically making fun of you like the comic book guy from the simpsons. they need to get out of the house once in a while.

There was no sarcasm in my posts, and the typo is the least of your worries.

How dare you call these games your favorites.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
1. You need to give a shit. If it's your favorite, you should have at least a semi-firm understanding of the title's setting.

3. Truxton/Tatsujin never received a saturn port. If it were TRULY a favorite of yours, you would, no doubt, already know this fact.

4. Well, R-TYpe and Gradius are horis..

5. Derius and Darius are pronounced QUITE differently. I already knew what game you were referring to though.

There was no sarcasm in my posts, and the typo is the least of your worries.

How dare you call these games your favorites.

it was sengoku blade blade that i said was ported to the saturn not truxton. any body can see that derius and and darius are spelt very similar. and they are my favourite shmups regardless of how i misspell them.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member

so not only do you think soldier blade and donpachi are remotely comparable, you also can't count. god bless.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Hai Gh3yzz...I think I'm gonna change my top 5 yet again...

Lords of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Lords of Thunder

Winds of Thunder 'cause the cover art is not crowded by a logo...

COVER-Winds_of_Thunder.jpg

Masamune Shirow...talk about coming back full circle...I played this game for years (Boot disc through emulation) not knowing the art was made by my man Masa, I've been a fan for a long asss time and now I realize that Winds of Thunder concept art is in the Intro Depot books...crazy how shit works!

Last edited:

iluvmonsterz

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Hai Gh3yzz...I think I'm gonna change my top 5 yet again...

Lords of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
Lords of Thunder

Winds of Thunder 'cause the cover art is not crowded by a logo...

COVER-Winds_of_Thunder.jpg

Masamune Shirow...talk about coming back full circle...I played this game for years (Boot disc through emulation) not knowing the art was made by my man Masa, I've been a fan for a long asss time and now I realize that Winds of Thunder concept art is in the Intro Depot books...crazy how shit works!

HOLY SHIT neither did I!!! thanks for pointing that out!!!! im digging this out right now to oogle that cover.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Was looking for top favorite shooters thread and I found one. So I'm bumping this for my own selfish reasons and for the need of letting my shooter tastes be known without starting a new topic on the matter.

1. Gaiares - the music and stealing weapons and the bosses
2. Hyper Duel - Transforming back and forth is fun and the black mech was a nice story twist.
3. Battle Garegga
4. Last Resort
5. Air Zonk
6. Hellfire - guilty pleasure.
7. Mars Matrix
8. Thunderforce 3 - best thunderforce game
9. Override
10. Cotton boomerang - had to

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Who the hell knows?

Esprade
Espgaluda
Battle Garegga
R Type
Maybe Donpachi, or DOJ, or maybe even DDP, I don't know.

This list is pretty fluid, admittedly. There will be long stretches of time when I'm really into a certain game, then I just kinda fall out of love with it.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Batrider
Espgaluda
Dodonpachi
Blazing Star
Gradius II (FC)

Honorable mention: Fantasy Zone

enormous

n00b
Gradius 3 - very enjoyable game shooting things into many bits. dig the options.
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou - very enjoyable bullet hell game shooting massive beams.
Space Raiders - very calm accuracy-demanding shooter. dig the chain system.
Senko No Ronde - banzai bullet barrage.
Forgotten Worlds - very enjoyable twin stick shooter. dig the pop-up shops and buying new weapons.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Gradius 3 - very enjoyable game shooting things into many bits. dig the options.
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou - very enjoyable bullet hell game shooting massive beams.
Space Raiders - very calm accuracy-demanding shooter. dig the chain system.
Senko No Ronde - banzai bullet barrage.
Forgotten Worlds - very enjoyable twin stick shooter. dig the pop-up shops and buying new weapons.
I will allow your bump of this thread, just this once.

-LoneSage

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Cool thread, a lot of games I need to go and try from what I've read here. Of what I've played, my top 5 are:

1 - Nexzr
This game is very difficult for me, but from the setup/story, the soundtrack, the control, and the graphics (that opening stage is incredible), this game hits all the right notes for me and makes me want to keep going back to practice so that I can eventually beat it.
2 - GG Aleste 3
The Aleste Collection on Switch is fantastic which I expected from an M2 Shottriggers release, but much like Nexzr, this game just has 'it'.
3 - Chō Jikū Yōsai Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie
I seriously haven't made it past the 3rd stage yet, but I love this even though it kicks my ass. Probably something to do with taking a hit resulting in a power down as opposed to getting destroyed, making it feel forgiving.
4 - Lightening Force
Hard, crazy, gorgeous, and one of the greatest OSTs in a shooter afaic.
5 - Soldier Blade
A shooter that strikes a great difficulty balance and feels tight in every respect. I can actually beat this one and come back to it time and again.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Holy shit, a wild Ren appears! How goes it, man?

This necrobump really delivered. ^_^

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Holy shit, a wild Ren appears! How goes it, man?

This necrobump really delivered. ^_^
Wataru!!! Great to see you and glad you're still here. The fam's had a hectic year, but now that things are settling down, I got nostalgic for this place.

Otherwise, when I've had some spare time here and there, I've been going hard at the shoot 'em ups. I've been discovering interesting ones on Game Boy recently, like Battle Unit Zeoth and Aerostar.

How have you been?