Top 5 shooters (or 10...5 of each OK)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Nope.

:p

Everyone here by now knows my elitist stance. If you suck at these games, you are barely scratching the surface of what makes them good in the first place.

This concept is totally lost on the majority of people who play skill based games.

It's not even elitist, but I suppose it's going to be perceived that way.

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
Currently...

Ketsui
R-type II
Progear
Esprade
Futari (gonna need to re-buy that one!)

honorable mention is still In the Hunt

I don't think I can rank them...and I haven't played piles and piles of them, but here are my current 5 favorites

Espgaluda II
Progear
Side Arms
R-Type II
Dimahoo

Dammit, need to put In the Hunt on there too!

IBM_tM.M.

n00b
This concept is totally lost on the majority of people who play skill based games.

It's not even elitist, but I suppose it's going to be perceived that way.
Skill based. They are very fun!
1. (Samurai) Zombie Nation
2. Star Force
3. TwinBee
4. Gyrodine
5. Gradius

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Shmups are definitely one of my favorite genres of games so I'll do 5 of each style. Hard to narrow it down and not really in order but here goes...

Vertical:

1. Galaga '90- I always loved the original Galaga arcade game since playing it with my dad as a kid. This version for the TurboGrafx surpasses it in every way. Probably one of my top five or ten games in any genre.
2. Blazing Lazers- another of my favorite Turbo hucards
3. Truxton - one of those games that's very simple but fun and addictive. A Genesis favorite.
4. M.U.S.H.A.- I don't like it quite as much as Blazing Lazers but another great game from Compile. Beautiful graphics for the Genesis.
5. Geometry Wars- This doesn't really fit into either vertical or horizontal but I love it so it has to be here. I've probably played it more than any other game on the list.

Horizontal:

1. Gradius 3- Probably the best or at least my favorite shmup on a system that wasn't really known for them. Have played this one a lot. The music gets me all nostalgic.
2. Thunderforce 3- My favorite Genesis horizontal shooter. I remember staying up all night to beat this once.
3. Lords of Thunder- Very impressive Turbo CD game.
4. Blazing Star- I haven't played every shmup on the Neo Geo but this is definitely the one I've enjoyed most so far. Beautiful graphics, still impressive to this day and very fun as well. I always like games that let you use multiple kinds of ships.
5. Darius Gaiden- Unfortunately I no longer own a Saturn but when I did this may have been my favorite game for it. All of the crazy fish and psychedelic backgrounds were awesome.

Maybe I'll give an honorable mention to Ikaruga. Great looking game and unique concept but I'm too shitty at it to have had much fun with it.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
- R-Type: Just a really great game and when I got to level three I thought it was genius
- Gunhed: As above, great fun to play and one of the best shooters on the PCE *imo*
- Radiant Silvergun: There are some really smart sections and a nice arsenal. I enjoy this more than Ikaruga
- Salamander: Not mad keen on the vertical bits, but the horizontal sections are brilliant
- Deathsmiles: I'm not a bullet hell fan and this doesn't go that way until the last couple of stages. It's the last 'new' shooter I bought that I really enjoyed

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Am I the only one who hasn't played Radiant Silvergun? I feel like this is something I should've done a long time ago. Unfortunately I have never had a Saturn that could play Japanese games and currently don't own one at all.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Am I the only one who hasn't played Radiant Silvergun? I feel like this is something I should've done a long time ago. Unfortunately I have never had a Saturn that could play Japanese games and currently don't own one at all.

I didnt play it until the XBLA version came out. Slightly overrated IMHO.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Epic music, great cutscenes-finally translated on 360...it was phenomenal at time of release, and has aged very well.

It's cool in some circles to bash Treasure...but they have had, and will likely always have my respect.

Their hit to miss ratio of title quality is pretty awesome.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Meh, I'm not entirely happy with this ordering, but it works for now. I may change my mind about some things. Also, I kept it to one per series.

1. Strikers 1945 II
2. Gradius III
3. Thunder Force III
4. Gleylancer
5. Battle Garegga
6. Sonic Wings
7. Sturmwind
8. Soldier Blade
9. Metal Black
10. Layer Section

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I prolly posted before but right now, top 5...maybe ten?

In no particular order.

Guwange
Lords of Thunder
Raiden
Viper Phase 1 USA
Donpachi
Fever SOS
Einhander
Gradius V
Gigawing
Gunlock

AlexKidd86

Overtop Pathfinder
Thanks to the guys who let me know Radiant Silvergun is on Xbox live arcade. I had no idea. For whatever it costs on there I think I may have to finally try it. I am a fan of all the other Treasure games I've played.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
It's cool in some circles to bash Treasure...but they have had, and will likely always have my respect.
I haven't seen anyone bash Treasure when calling Radiant Silvergun to be overrated. It's not that the game is bad or anything, on the contrary, it is quite good. But it isn't god incarnate. It's not nearly as pretty as many people claim it is, with plenty of drab colors in the background. It was nicer looking than plenty of other 5th gen shooters, but I'm not even sure I'd say it was the best.

That said, it's definitely a solid game and worth a pick-up on XBLA. I'll someday own a copy of the Saturn release, but for now, I'd rather that money go to getting more cheaper yet still just as good (if not better) games on the PCE, Saturn, and Neo.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Favorite Fighter? Super Street Fighter II Turbo CPS2 Hands Down.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
What's your fighter of choice? I like the MKIII myself, though it's a tough one to use...

What a dumbshit question to ask in a thread like this.

"Tough one to use..." - Tough one to use what? At least finish the statement...

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Batman in the Marvel thread, Street Fighter in a shooter thread. This place has gone to hell.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Just 5 fav's jeez that's hard, problem with me is the one's i like change with time and what kind of mood i'm in, but here's 5 i've been playing a lot the last few months...

1. Einhander
2. psyvariar
3. Axelay
4. 1944 The loop master
5. Dodonpachi resurrection

I guarantee if i come back in 6 months and do another list it will be 5 different shooters...

Last edited:

powerflower

Banned
Tuffy, let us see...

Gunhed
Gradius2
Winds/Lords of Thunder
Metal Black
Gun Frontier
Gradius5
Nebulasray
Kyokoku Tiger
Tatsu1+2
Rayforce+Storm

Space Harrier?? Haha! And don't forget that insane Galaxy ForceII magic!!

Why so cruel to me ?? There is so much shmup goodness out there...Don't compare, just love them equally :)

Last edited:

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
For me its:

1. Darius Gaiden
2. Lords of Thunder (PCE)
3. Thunderforce 3
4. Axelay
5. Ajax

West

Mr. Big's Thug
1. Esprade
2. Progear
3. Ketsui
4. Batrider
5. Raiden Fighters Jet

It's a bit of a CAVE list but they're my fave. Pace, strategy, speed just win for me.