Top 5 shooters (or 10...5 of each OK)

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
What do you like then...?

I don't always hate slow and technical, I'm always up for a good game of Gradius. For sure bullet hell shmups have never done it for me.

Or put it this way, if I could only have one system to play shmups on, it'd be the PC-Engine. Blazing Lazers, Gate of Thunder, Soldier Blade, even Air Zonk are all the type of shooters I tend to go for. I'm not as hardcore into this genre as most.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
You sound similar to my love of the shmup. You just can't beat the the good old classic shooter.

The PC Engine, Megadrive and the Saturn are my platforms of choice. So many great games, so little time....

Seeing as the shooter is such a big deal in the Japanese Arcades, it still amazes me that the Neo didn't have more.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
5.Einhander
4.Blazing Star
3.R Type Leo
2.Gunbird 2
1. Gradius III

honorary mentions to Border Down and Under Defeat

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Hori
5. Gradius Gaiden
4. Hellfire
3. Thunderforce 4
2. Gaiares
1. Deathsmiles

VERT
5. Mars Matrix
4. Soukyugurentai
3. ESPGaluda2
2. Mushihimesama
1. Layer Section/Rayforce/Galactic Attack

Honorable Mention: Radiant Silvergun, Gunbird 2, MUSHA, Batsugun, Under Defeat, and entire Donpachi series

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Senko no Ronde DUO
Senko no Ronde Rev.X
Deathsmiles 2
Deathsmiles
Mushihime-sama Futari 1.5

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
1. R-Type (all platform) - classic shooter.....no doublt about it
2. Varth (PS2/Arcade)
3. Mushihime-sama Futari 1.5 (xbox360)
4. Spriggan (PC Engine)
5. Thunderforce IV (Mega Drive)

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
1. Death Smiles, Halloween is my favorite holiday and this game has a great theme. My friends can also play this game with me and I don't have to worry about them getting too frustrated. When you don't have ANY friends who are into shooters this goes a long way.

2. Espgaluda 2, very fun game with beautiful artwork, great music and a wonderful scoring system.

3. Batsugun, wish I could find a PCB for this game, very fun game and amount of rape you can throw at the enemy's with your over the top power ups is insane.

4. Ikaruga, who doesn't like this game??

5. Mushihimesama Futari 1.5, I haven't had too much face time with this game but I have been playing it at my friends house. This game is insane, just check out this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZuidKexBQ

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
That Mushihimesama Futari vid is just mental. I just can't be doing with navigating a few pixels through all of that. Much rather a larger collisoin area with less on screen.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So just at a glance, it looks like Futari is the most mentioned game here.

So just at a glance, it looks like Futari is the most mentioned game here.

Its a hard game to hate, it has a lot going for it, and every 360 owner can enjoy it so lots of folk have tried it

here's my top 5 at the moment in no particular order

Battle Garegga
Ketsui
Giga Wing
Ibara
Sorcer Striker

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Looks like I need to play Lords of Thunder and Mushihimesama Futari.

Here's my top 5:

1. G-Darius (PSone/Arcade) - I was hoping Darius Burst on PSP would capture the same feeling. It comes close with atmosphere, but you can't capture enemies. Also the bosses aren't nearly as GIANT!

2. Thunder Force IV (Megadrive) - I keep seeing Thunder Force VI (PS2) for cheap, but am a bit weary. I love TFV for psone, but I've heard that TFIV isn't so great and I don't want to be dissappointed.

3. Strikers 1945 I (PS2 compilation / Arcade) - I love the graphics in the first one.

4. Dodonpachi Daioujou (PS2 / Arcade) - It's either this or Mushihimesama. I love the bullet hell patterns, but I never got very good at them. It's amazing to see guys in the arcade 1cc this stuff.

5. Blazing Star (Neo Geo) - Awesome graphics, awesome popcorn enemies and big bosses. Really doesn't get much better than this.

man9child

Rugal's Thug
1. Ketsui
2. Radiant Silvergun
3. Espgaluda
4. Ikaruga
5. R-Type III

I'd say Ketsui and Radiant Silvergun are up top by a wide margin, for me. I actually like the first Espgaluda better than it's sequel.

EDOOM

n00b
1. Thunderforce V
2. Radiant Silvergun
3. ESP.Ra.De
4. Thunderforce IV
5. Musha Aleste

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My list changes periodically but ATM these are my picks.

Guwange
Garegga
Viper Phase 1
Gunbird 2
Mars Matrix

Gradius V
Einhander
Omega V
Progear
Tengai

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
Current favourites in no particular order:

Zero Wing
Hellfire
Gunbird
Raiden series
Viper Phase 1

Battle Squadron (Amiga ver.) very nearly made it into the list.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Hori:
R-type 1 & 3
Thunder Force III & IV
Gradius II
Deathsmile
Einhander

Verts:
Varth
Ketsui
Garegga
Batsugun

agustusx

Marked Wolf
Right now I am living in the current so the list is kinda Cave centric...

Futari -Awesome experience overall, I can zone out on this game anytime. Still a lot for me to do in the game too. One day I will improve my Maniac mode score lol.
MMP -This is the new hot sauce! Even without HD the graphics are good on a CRT. Addictive scoring system. And personally, I can't get enough of the plumpness in this release :)
DeathSmiles -Still one of the best 360 shooter ports, its scoring is a bit more arcane than I normally get into, but after learning how to score ok its hard to get this one out of my system.
Ketsui -I got 5 on it!
DFK BL Arrange -10 is better than 5.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Right now I am living in the current so the list is kinda Cave centric...

Futari -Awesome experience overall, I can zone out on this game anytime. Still a lot for me to do in the game too. One day I will improve my Maniac mode score lol.
MMP -This is the new hot sauce! Even without HD the graphics are good on a CRT. Addictive scoring system. And personally, I can't get enough of the plumpness in this release :)
DeathSmiles -Still one of the best 360 shooter ports, its scoring is a bit more arcane than I normally get into, but after learning how to score ok its hard to get this one out of my system.
Ketsui -I got 5 on it!
DFK BL Arrange -10 is better than 5.

I'm in the midst of a full-scale cave in myself! 8^)

Futari helped me get my screens recalibrated after a fung shui move, & looks so purty I took it up again.

DeathSmiles NA got patched, so it is back in rotation.

Guwange 360: see DSNA, above.

Rounding out my top 5 this month is MMP matsuri & arrange PS.

My 360 might keep me in gaming for a long time coming, even with the current sell off of most of the other systems in my collection.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
for me, my list would always be changing.
regardless though, 3 games will always be in it.

Gates of Thunder
Air Zonk
Deathsmiles

These are my bread and butter. Everything else is just dessert.

heh, all horis...whodathunkit

agustusx

Marked Wolf
1) mushihimesama futari 360....music TDF.

The music is great and appropriate for the world they set. Glad to see someone else apprieciate it and not knock it for not being metal or manly.

5) Dragon Blade - Favorite Psyiko shooter I've played. Never played a game where you could dismount your ship and keep shooting, so the mechanic is tons of fun.

Yeah thats one my top 10 I would say. I suck at it, but it gets your heart going well and the graphics are still sweet to me. One of the few PS2 shooters I own.

Yet another I don't play as much as I would like (I don't have my mamebox anymore). It's crazy how many different medals there are to collect in that game, know how to get certain items to drop is just too crazy. It's fun to play for visuals and survival though.

I think I prefer Cotton 2, but good choice either way :) Another one that needs my mamebox :( A newer slightly easier one with HD would be killer.

Gunbird 2

Always a pleasent death awaking for me. I use Morrigan in the DC version :)

Layer Section/Rayforce/Galactic Attack

Galactic Attack is an all time fav, still can't beat the saturn version with just 5 credits (thankfully you can add an additonal 5 with a cheat code). its got great graphics, killer music and great gameplay. Tons of stages too! Too bad its too long to play during a lunch break...

Ikaruga, who doesn't like this game??

The first two stages are heavenly. Great music, visuals and tight gameplay. Stage 3 on is too much for me. Still deserving of top tier status regardless.

any Pachi game

Overall I love the franchise, my favs are probably DonPachi for it's simplicity and then DOJ since it reminds be how bad I really am at shooters.

Sorry for the long post, i had 10 mins until my next meeting and decided to reply to just about all of you HAHA.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Just bought a Saturn and waiting to play Battle Garegga and Soukyugurentai so this list may change... but for now:

Zero Gunner 2 - awesome game, and for a must have if you have a DC and even only a remote love of shmups.

Einhander - a real classic, and probably the greatest shmup of its generation, and certainly the best on the psx... shame Square never considered a sequel.

Star Parodia - very simple shmup, and that's what I love about it, plus it also never ceases to entertain with its soundtrack and animation

Dodonpachi - although I have Dai Ou Jou, I prefer this as I don't feel I have to be some sort of shmup genius to play it.

Thunderforce IV - brilliant piece of programming for the MD, looking forward to playing it on the Saturn

dq333

n00b
1. Layer Section
2. Radiant Silvergun
3. Gradius V
4. Rtype
5. Battle Garegga
6. Einhander
7. Blazing Star
8. Bangai-O
9. Super Star Soldier
10. Mars Matrix