Too much expensive shit

matt5cott

n00b
The only reason NTM hasn't soared is because noobs don't realize how great a golf game can really be.

Yep, newbs and kids nowadays brains are all burnt out, they're all 'ON THE GREEN!'

I'll get my coat.

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
All retro in general is getting bad.

There was one time, in college, when I decided to post up/sell my ENTIRE game collection. Then, it was probably 700-ish items. And I sold maybe 20 things. Each time though, I'd think about where/why/how I bought it, and, I eventually stopped selling them. Didn't really *need* the money.

Today, it's likely around 1000 items. (I need to inventory again.) I'm married. Full time job and trying to save/provide so gaming time is fairly limited. Yet I still cannot pull the trigger on selling anything, even while some of these prices are ridiculously high. Pretty sure I'd regret it later. Also, I've always hoped my kid(s) would be gamers, and we'd spend a lot of time playing these games together. I know I won't really be spending much of my time in the future playing them on my own.

Most likely, if my kids don't game, I'll consider selling in the future far from now. Only would consider selling again if the money was absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
The fact that MVS prices are shooting up is just crazy. Not sure what's so attractive about a plastic cart or cardboard boxes.

sparksterz

Camel Slug
The fact that MVS prices are shooting up is just crazy. Not sure what's so attractive about a plastic cart or cardboard boxes.

You just described exactly what NES, SNES and N64 games all are. Plastic carts and cardboard boxes :p
Granted at least those ones have art...MVS not so much, but you do still have move strips, mini marquees and custom cases...so not too different.

statix138

Crossed Swords Squire
Its them fancy chips on the inside that gets the kids all hot and bothered.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I agree. Anyone I've met with a house full of shit be it games or old magazines has some sort of problem they're in denial about. Oh well, at least you don't live with them!

I dont see what the problem is? Fully functioning life, married, big family lots of friends nice house, career, into travel and outdoor hobbies. So i have a gane room for when i need to unwind or my buddies come over to chill. Doesnt mean im on an episode of hoarders. I like having my classic games i enjoy and play. I dont keep games im not interested in playing which is why i have chunks of games from all systems. I collect games i can play not just look at. Not every person interested in a collection has deep depression covered with a thick layer of nostalgia to make it better

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Ebay buy it now is cancer most of the time.
I stand by the post I made earlier, "never pay more than $20 for a computer game."

The most disgusting offender is Earthbound, considering it's actually almost FREE on Wii-U, and scalpers are still trying to sell ragged ass dog-chewed and iron branded by blockbuster copies for $200+ and there's regularly like 50 or more of them up for sale YEAR ROUND.

I just browse the auctions ending soonest and snipe anything that seems like a good deal. It seems to have worked out rather well so far. I spend about $150 a month doing this and get 10-15 good games.

One day I will find Earthbound for cheap. ONE DAY.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I just browse the auctions ending soonest and snipe anything that seems like a good deal. It seems to have worked out rather well so far. I spend about $150 a month doing this and get 10-15 good games.

One day I will find Earthbound for cheap. ONE DAY.

So in a year you'll spend $1,800 on 180 games that mean nothing to you, and you'll pine over a $250 Earthbound for the rest of your life.

I'd guess that the majority of the game "collectors" who have walls and walls of stuff function this way. No wonder why so many of these fickle people burn out.

Last edited:

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
You just described exactly what NES, SNES and N64 games all are. Plastic carts and cardboard boxes :p
Granted at least those ones have art...MVS not so much, but you do still have move strips, mini marquees and custom cases...so not too different.

You are correct if one is collecting cart only. Absolutely off base if one is collecting complete games.

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
More people into retro gaming = more demand for an already limited supply = prices go up.

I don't understand why people complain about how prices have increased... this is basic economics at work.

For people who just want to play the games, check out the Wii and the quite large library of Neo Geo games. For people who want to collect, be prepared to fork over the dough.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
>So in a year you'll spend $1,800 on 180 games that mean nothing to you

In all my 20 years of buying video games, I can count on ONE hand the games I've bought (physical) copies of and not enjoyed.

Alundra 2
Dual Hearts
Sim City on SNES
T&C Surf Designs on NES
and Space Quest VI on PC

I'm picky about what I buy.

Part of my collection is in the collection board, and you can see for yourself that I don't just buy indiscriminately.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?257562-DNSDies-Collection

I do get gifts of shitty games from people though, and I usually either sell them or use the cleanest cases to replace broken ones.
I don't count those as "games I don't care about" because I never really asked for them or put any effort into getting them.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Yeah, the demo was better than the actual game. (And that's because the demo was its own unique, stand-alone adventure.)

I never even played the demo. I bought it based on how much I enjoyed SQ1-5.
I may have to check that out now.

I recently re-played SQ6 as part of a marathon thing about a year ago, and it was boring and hard to push through to the end.

By the final section of the game, it became unstable and crashed and I just didn't care about finishing it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

There was one time, in college, when I decided to post up/sell my ENTIRE game collection. Then, it was probably 700-ish items. And I sold maybe 20 things. Each time though, I'd think about where/why/how I bought it, and, I eventually stopped selling them. Didn't really *need* the money.

Today, it's likely around 1000 items. (I need to inventory again.) I'm married. Full time job and trying to save/provide so gaming time is fairly limited. Yet I still cannot pull the trigger on selling anything, even while some of these prices are ridiculously high. Pretty sure I'd regret it later. Also, I've always hoped my kid(s) would be gamers, and we'd spend a lot of time playing these games together. I know I won't really be spending much of my time in the future playing them on my own.

Most likely, if my kids don't game, I'll consider selling in the future far from now. Only would consider selling again if the money was absolutely necessary.

You hope your kids would be gamers, why? Video Games are a complete waste of time.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
No more so than television, books, movies, celebrity gossip, shopping, sports, Philately or any other popular hobby.

You do it because you enjoy it.
If it's a waste of time to you, maybe you need a different hobby?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Sports and books are a waste of time?

mahesak

Morden's Lackey

My daughter is 9 years old and like to play Metal Slug series but not often. We take a few time each month play together. But I know she is not interested to collect my all retro games in the future ....

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
So... about that Money Puzzle Exchanger... :D