Tonight I started my new homebrew project...

tcdev

Kabuki Klasher
How do you obtain the Xevious code. Can you decompile or is that just available somewhere?
I've spent many hours reverse-engineering the code myself. It is my all-time favourite arcade game, and ever since I got into emulation in the early 90's I've wanted to RE Xevious just to see how it worked - and to reveal all its secrets. I started a few years back but stalled, only more recently making a more determined effort to finish it off. I plan on releasing the listing(s) when it's complete.

Fun fact; there's a sol tower (citadel) in the map that doesn't appear in the game due to a bug. I found it when I decoded the map data, thinking I'd found one that no-one else had documented, but alas it's not in the game. Tracked down the bug and it's essentially unfixable without changing where it appears.

I could probably at least double the detail in the Namco Wiki entry on Xevious too...

The RE is about 97% complete; I couldn't help myself and started coding before I finished it. The rest will probably be done on an as-needed basis as I do the transcode. Just yesterday I came across a few routines that I hadn't done that I needed for the Neo Geo.

sirlynxalot

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Cool. Someone was remaking classic xevious on the atari Jaguar a few years ago as well, I think it was new custom code and ripped graphics. It was demoed at a convention and looked pretty good but hasnt been publicly released. Just mentioning since you're a xevious fan.

tcdev

Kabuki Klasher
Cool. Someone was remaking classic xevious on the atari Jaguar a few years ago as well, I think it was new custom code and ripped graphics. It was demoed at a convention and looked pretty good but hasnt been publicly released. Just mentioning since you're a xevious fan.
Thanks, I tried to get on the pre-order list for that when I found out about it (a few years back but still late to the party). I doubt it'll ever see the light of day - I'm guessing IP issues killed it?!? I did try to contact the author a few weeks ago, but according to the forum, he hasn't read my message yet.

I'm not planning a physical release - just release the ROM/CD dumps - so hoping to stay under the radar and not run into IP issues myself...

sirlynxalot

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thanks, I tried to get on the pre-order list for that when I found out about it (a few years back but still late to the party). I doubt it'll ever see the light of day - I'm guessing IP issues killed it?!? I did try to contact the author a few weeks ago, but according to the forum, he hasn't read my message yet.

I'm not planning a physical release - just release the ROM/CD dumps - so hoping to stay under the radar and not run into IP issues myself...
Ip issues might have played into it. I forget precisely who the author was, but one of the notable people over there at atari age actually died right before the pandemic and I'm wondering if he might have been the main guy working on this. That killed off a few other interesting projects that had substantive development already put into them, such as recreating the unreleased Jaguar duo console from schematics that had been found, as well as the atari 7800 expansion module, which was kind of like a sega 32x style upgrade device for your atari 7800.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Conventions & physical release is a problem. Those lawyers normally don't spent their time in pretty dead video game forums but social media or YouTube.

tcdev

Kabuki Klasher
After 3 days of frustration I finally found a cut 'n' paste bug to get sprites working on Xevious! The 'sparkle' on the logo is a Xevious sprite. It's a significant milestone because it means the hardware emulation layer is all-but-complete. From here-on in, there's a lot of handle-cranking transcoding to be done. Tedious, but that's actually a good thing!

Attachments

• 0021.png
    0021.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 5

tcdev

Kabuki Klasher
What would you say is the meg count for xevious 😉
LOL, well currently the ROMS are sitting at 3.75MB (with C-ROMS and P-ROM padded to 1MB), and it certainly won't hit 4MB before sound is added!

As an aside, progress is going well. You can bomb things now, and a few of them actually blow up and score points.

tcdev

Kabuki Klasher
Good luck with the project!
FTR transcoding the main CPU code is now around 50% complete, whilst the SUB CPU (mainly responsible for rendering the map and adding objects to the game at the right place/time) is around 95% complete. I started this project about 5 weeks ago. Given the time of year, it almost certainly won't be complete until sometime in the new year. I've still got a small amount of RE to complete as well. But I'd have to say it's progressing better than I could have hoped.

It bodes well for future 68K (Neo Geo) projects I have in mind!