TOHO to produce and release a NEW Godzilla movie in 2016!

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Couple days old but I don't see a thread for this, and I believe the old 2014 Legendary Godzilla thread has fallen off the map with no way to resurrect it.

Thoughts on this news?

Personally, I'm excited to see what a Japanese Toho Godzilla film will be like in 2016. Final Wars (2004) was a bit disappointing, and I didn't like the G suit at all, but 12 years is a long time and technology has taken many steps forward since then.

I think they need to keep it in Japan and not confuse the general American public, who are waiting on 2018's Legendary Godzilla sequel.

It's pretty cool that there are two separate movie companies producing a movie for the same titular character. Has that ever happened in movie history before?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Super excited. I liked the Legendary movie and would like a continuation but am a million times more hyped for a new Toho series than a Legendary sequel.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The trailer is out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WkxVHyzivg

Looks promising. Love the music. But most of all, I didn't know Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion) was directing this! I was goona watch no matter what, but want to even more now. Wonder when it will come over here.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Looks promising? It looks like a disaster. There are all kinds of reports that they couldn't get the animatronic Godzilla to work right, so they're scrambling to somehow salvage everything in the last few weeks before the movie is due out. Which is why in pretty much every scene Godzilla is in in that trailer, he's just standing there like a hump, while his CG tail whips around like crazy, trying to distract you from noticing Godzilla doesn't really move.

I still want to see it, but now I'm trying to keep expectations low.

90s

Looks promising? It looks like a disaster. There are all kinds of reports that they couldn't get the animatronic Godzilla to work right, so they're scrambling to somehow salvage everything in the last few weeks before the movie is due out. Which is why in pretty much every scene Godzilla is in in that trailer, he's just standing there like a hump, while his CG tail whips around like crazy, trying to distract you from noticing Godzilla doesn't really move.

Is that to say there is no guy in a suit then? I did not know all of that. From the trailer alone, I thought it looked promising. I will still watch no matter what though, but might have to temper my expectations a bit now.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Is that to say there is no guy in a suit then?
It may be partially both, but I don't think human arms would fit in that Godzilla suit's arms.

Shin_Godzilla_design_reveal.jpg

From wikipedia:

A variety of techniques such as puppets, animatronics, and digital effects will be used for Godzilla, with the suit to be operated by three people.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
was Godzilla's tail always that long? Looks way out of proportion to me...

90s

was Godzilla's tail always that long? Looks way out of proportion to me...

It does look almost too long, and mangled, but I like the overall damaged look of Godzilla from what I see in the trailer. At least, there should be an interesting story behind it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
At least, there should be an interesting story behind it.

...After decades of peace... (and everyone has become high def...)

Godzilla returns... (Looks sorta pissed...)

Authorities all look like they have diarrhoea and call out teh army... (useless but hey... we get a North Korean Army promo video out of it...)

Godzilla then destroys Tokyo... (After last time... you wonder how they built it so fast...)

Then NEW enemy comes (...Godzilla goes... HOLD on there mother fooker... this is my party...)

Godzilla kicks shit out of enemy... (Destroying whats left of Tokyo...)

...Everyone hails Godzilla (but thinks... FFS... we may need to move house...)

xROTx

PS. Queue Sequel music...

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Directed and written by Hideaki Anno?! What's going on? The man has ambitions the size of... Gojira.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
found out about this yesterday. looking forward to it. i really enjoyed godzilla 2000, but still need to catch up. i still haven't watched most most of the heisei series of godzilla movies.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Looks good from the trailer. There's still no word of US release. THere will likely be 3rd party subtitles before it is released here officially.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

Did the rest of you even watch the same trailer? Looks awful. No movement. No hints about the plot. (not that it matters in a godzilla movie) What's up with dude in the last few seconds? so stiff.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Looks good from the trailer. There's still no word of US release. THere will likely be 3rd party subtitles before it is released here officially.

i heard rumors that there isn't going to be a western/us release, because of the sequel to the 2014 movie that's being made. something about confusion amongst people who aren't familiar to the franchise. still just a rumor.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
TBH i thought final wars was pretty good, old school style godzilla with guy's in rubber suits but with a decent budget and good effects.
And i'm looking forward to this one.