Toaplan Shooter Collection

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Why do people buy phony games?

Sup ASID, I think it's only because somewhere along the line oldschool gaming became less about actually playing and more about this for many out there:

il_794xN.2340001423_nl92.jpg

Roms and emulators have been a thing since the 90's, but many in the hobby prefer something tangible to hold and ultimately display when it comes to games. That's the only reason I can imagine how something like a $100 dollar NES Battletoads reprint could sell out in 2020: :scratch:

https://www.iam8bit.com/products/battletoads-legacy-cartridge-collection

web_productimage_battletoads_both_carts.png

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Sup ASID, I think it's only because somewhere along the line oldschool gaming became less about actually playing and more about this for many out there:...

EDIT: I misinterpreted your OP. Yes, old school gaming certainly became more about this than playing for many.

I don't know if "playing" the game is completely relevant. Someone's sole priority with games could be the tangible aspect of a collection and that's fine. To me though, owning fakes spoil the rest. You could argue that a person who "just wants to play their games" would be more justified in buying the fake games (that's assuming they don't use emulators or flashcarts of course) than a strict collector would be.

Why spend the time and money building a collection only to PAY for holes in it that scream "Haha, you can afford all of this other stuff, but you had to settle for fake ass me!"?

I think I'll answer my original question with "buy them if you're indiscriminate and have bad taste."

Of course, these types of people place a priority of quantity and likely don't understand or enjoy what they're collecting enough to be cognizant of the fact that these "repros" are NOT a piece of fabric in the tapestry of this hobby's heritage.

Who knows those. Maybe this will change in ten or twenty years. Maybe anything "Legacy Cartridge Collection" will be revered as some mythical, mystical wonder? Maybe these huckster companies taking advantage of fools will be the ones to rewrite history.

Last edited:

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Any Toaplan fans check out the Toaplan inspired Super XYX on Steam? I have it saved in my queue for now but will probably pick it up sooner than later

https://store.steampowered.com/app/654500/Super_XYX/

I just did an Ebay search on these games and every one of these seems like you can get for under $100 and I know there are better outlets to get these games beyond Ebay, but I just wanted to get a quick idea of price. Slap Fight and Grind Stormer definitely seem better candidates for reprints as both of them are pushing $200 on Ebay for the "authentic" experience.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Sup ASID, I think it's only because somewhere along the line oldschool gaming became less about actually playing and more about this for many out there:

Roms and emulators have been a thing since the 90's, but many in the hobby prefer something tangible to hold and ultimately display when it comes to games. That's the only reason I can imagine how something like a $100 dollar NES Battletoads reprint could sell out in 2020: :scratch:

Idk how many they actually made. I know their Megaman ones sat unsold for ages. They ended up offloading them to Best Buy’s 2 years later.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

It's insane that reprint of battletoads sold out for iam8bit given they were selling it for $99.99 and original copies are fairly common for it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I don't know if "playing" the game is completely relevant. Someone's sole priority with games could be the tangible aspect of a collection and that's fine. To me though, owning fakes spoil the rest. You could argue that a person who "just wants to play their games" would be more justified in buying the fake games (that's assuming they don't use emulators or flashcarts of course) than a strict collector would be.

Why spend the time and money building a collection only to PAY for holes in it that scream "Haha, you can afford all of this other stuff, but you had to settle for fake ass me!"?

I think I'll answer my original question with "buy them if you're indiscriminate and have bad taste."

Of course, these types of people place a priority of quantity and likely don't understand or enjoy what they're collecting enough to be cognizant of the fact that these "repros" are NOT a piece of fabric in the tapestry of this hobby's heritage.

Who knows those. Maybe this will change in ten or twenty years. Maybe anything "Legacy Cartridge Collection" will be revered as some mythical, mystical wonder? Maybe these huckster companies taking advantage of fools will be the ones to rewrite history.

This was a classic ASID post.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
To me though, owning fakes spoil the rest.[...] Why spend the time and money building a collection only to PAY for holes in it that scream "Haha, you can afford all of this other stuff, but you had to settle for fake ass me!"?

Hah, how to restore holes in one's collection? That's a good question... Within a collection of originals, i.e. items officially released back then within a certain series, each hole is certainly more authentic and aesthetically pleasing as an empty space, than as a reproduction, just put there to somehow fill this void. Even putting "Asia" versions of Shadowrun or Cadash to fill the holes of a japanese Mega Drive collection, feels odd. In both cases, less is more.

Collecting repros is not much of a problem, since a collection consisting solely of copies of past items, which are officially/inofficially released now, can be seen as consistent. It's the mixing, mostly of old and new, that's foolish. Which brings me to this:

Maybe these huckster companies taking advantage of fools will be the ones to rewrite history.

Sure, given enough decades, a collection of repros may gain a certain historical and/or aesthetical value, especially if those were designed to contrast with their past source material − it'll never melt within the holes of a collection from another time period, though. Collecting repros could be an art of its own, yet, only few will understand how. In my opinion, it's not that much owning, but rather filling holes with fakes, that spoils the rest.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Why are people ok with giving a drug dealer from France, Germany, Japan 1 grand for a original release of an 80s or 90s game?

Why did you come back after getting banned?

Last edited:

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Vintage puffy stickers though :thevt:

puffy sticker set.jpg

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I remember Truxton vinyl being a running joke on Classic Game Room around 10 years ago.