To sell everything but the everdrive

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
So.

Why to keep loose carts or CIB games IF you play the games in the multicart?

Just for the shelf eye candy? To not be an outlaw by not having the originals?

Maybe just keep the not-100%-supported games?

Has anybody done it? You regret it or you're awesome just with the multi?

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I made a thread last year asking the exact same thing after getting my GB Everdrive.

It plays every game perfectly, saves game data for battery-backed games...why keep it?

Nostalgia, for me, I suppose. IIRC, some people have done just that (sell everything) with no regrets.

Jon

totoro

X>2, (He is so wrong -Ed),
It seems to me you are about to do it :)

For me half the fun is holding the game in your hands !!!

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Before I forget: Manuals.

Kinda nice to have that info on how to play, what specific items do, story, etc. They can't put that on an Everdrive.

Also, box art.

Jon

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I prefer to have the everdrive and then 1 to 5 physical games that are my favorites.

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I sold a few games when i got my everdrives but i kept most of my favorites. I just don't buy new games for the consoles for wich i have an everdrive. Anyway space is limited at home so i prefer to keep room for Neo games.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm about ready to do that myself. I could damn near sell my high dollar remaining SNES games and get and easily afford both a NES/SNES everdrive. I really do not know what's keeping me from doing that...nostalgia?

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
There's no REAL justification for it but I'm still holding on to the all-time great games for every system whether I have a flash cart/drive replacement or not. If I had Hagane or any of the other ridiculously overpriced games, I'd dump those in a heartbeat.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I can understand the allure/convenience of the Everdrive (plus the advantage of reducing game clutter), but, I don't own any of them. I only have real cartridges/discs for all of my consoles/handhelds.

I do occasionally make use of emulators (especially when I need to get screenshots for an art project or sprite bestiary), but I still prefer to have the real thing.

Just out of curiosity, why is SNES Hagane so expensive? Super rare or something? I got mine, used, from Funcoland, back in the day, for about $8 I think. It's a pretty good game, but I wouldn't pay tons for it.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I got rid of all my genesis, snes, nes, and Gameboy stuff except for lttp and links awakening. I play all that stuff on wii emus if I get the urge. I kept my psx and dreamcast cuz emulators for those aren't 100%. Never looked back. I'll jump over to whatever is the next best rom box for me when the time comes.

The only thing I regret is getting my mvs multicart and selling off all the games that were on it. That multicart later took a shit and the only mvs carts I kept were the ones not on it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I find that keep a few games that are near and dear to your heart and purging the rest in favor of flash carts is the best middle ground to keep your sanity. I can still throw in a Mario World or Contra cart when I want to, I play those all the time. When I feel like playing something a little more obscure, the flash cart goes in.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
i sold my CIB castlevania 4 for like seventeen bucks in 2011 and i still wake up in cold sweats about it

i had rented and eventually bought that same cart for near 18 years i reckon

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I've kept all my original games from BITD, but most everything else was pretty much purged after Everdrives.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No matter how many originals you have, everdrives are irreplaceable. No matter how ingenious everdrives are, it won't satisfy your primeval urge to gather. But here's the great news: in this case, you actually can have it both ways.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
i sold my CIB castlevania 4 for like seventeen bucks in 2011 and i still wake up in cold sweats about it

I don't think CIB C4 is worth all that much, so I wouldn't sweat it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

Yeah...I have a CIB CV IV...I won't be letting go of it anytime soon. Not sure what it is about that game, but to this day it's one of my all time favorites.

I think it was because of the impact it had on me when it was new, it was so far ahead of anything else in console gaming when it came out.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I find that keep a few games that are near and dear to your heart and purging the rest in favor of flash carts is the best middle ground to keep your sanity.

This is exactly my philosophy as well. Just keep what's important to you and purge those copies of Shaq-Fu.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I ditched all but about 20 Genesis carts a while back. I did keep a Shaq Fu case for the lulz, but I lost the cart long ago.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I'm starting to think maybe start collecting just game boxes. Who even needs the actual games?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm starting to think maybe start collecting just game boxes. Who even needs the actual games?

Sadly, game boxes aren't cheap (depending)...but I'm kind of with you.

I'm getting to where I like the artwork, I like the game box (or even better, the system box). The game inside? Yeah...don't care about. Manuals/paperwork? I care about those even less. I want to play the game, I really do not care how (cart vs ED). I do want to play it on original hardware...but then again, I've found I am plenty happy with even just an original controller. I have no issue using my Retron with a SNES controller. At no time does it feel "wrong" to me to do it that way.

I'm really rethinking my collection and how I want to move forward with it. If now really is the time to "sell high" give or take, I kind of need to make a decision before too long.

I have some games CIB like SMB 1-3, NES Zelda, NES Final Fantasy, SNES FF II-III, and a few others that there is simply no way I'm going to sell. I actually like looking at them. The rest? If I can have a carbon copy on an ED that will play on an original system...who cares about the actual cart?

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I have a flash cart for my PCE, NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Gameboy, GBA, DS, 3DS and Game Gear.
I've hacked every console I own except my PS4 to be able to play roms or isos either via burned CDs or SD cards/Hard Drives.
I have a 386, a 486, and a Voodoo 3 Super Socket 7 PC for old PC games, and have them all set up to use ISOs or disk images if I want, they even have IDE to CF slots on the front so I can swap out "hard disks" full of games.

I still like owning originals for the games I really like.
Piracy isn't the same. I just don't feel like they're MINE. I don't want to play pirated games as much as originals.

Maybe I'm just retarded.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
I have a flash cart for my PCE, NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, Gameboy, GBA, DS, 3DS and Game Gear.
I've hacked every console I own except my PS4 to be able to play roms or isos either via burned CDs or SD cards/Hard Drives.
I have a 386, a 486, and a Voodoo 3 Super Socket 7 PC for old PC games, and have them all set up to use ISOs or disk images if I want, they even have IDE to CF slots on the front so I can swap out "hard disks" full of games.

I still like owning originals for the games I really like.
Piracy isn't the same. I just don't feel like they're MINE. I don't want to play pirated games as much as originals.

Maybe I'm just retarded.

I was thinking about this today. I think Tak said that the best part is looking at the artwork. I guess it depends if you're collecting the games and don't actually play em. Maybe you like the idea of playing them, I don't know. I think with older games, the art looks better and more exciting than the games actually turned out to be. So we all fell for the marketing bullshit. Their marketing succeeded in drawing us to their products and we bought them. Ever since video games began selling to consumers the art on the boxes were the initial draw. Or maybe you saw an ad in a magazine. Those aren't the actual experiences of the games, just an idea. Sure the artwork is great, but I think if you just like the artwork you should look for sites with scans of the box art or manual art, whatever. Save yourself some money. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would bet a lot of people hang on to this shit for such a superficial reason. If I had the means as well as the space to own and store all of these games/systems/peripherals/accessories, etc. I would do it in an instant. However, I'm broke and I live in a small apartment. I have too much shit as it is. I don't play 90% of the shit I have. Anyways, I think if you want to just play the games to get the experience the everdrives seem like the best option. I really want to get the PC Engine one. Endless shooting...:drool:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I have done this with most of my MVS. The multicart is just more convenient in a cab, and the skyrocketing price of MVS just turned me off to the whole thing.