Tis it a boot?

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
That looks to be an SNK fixed cart. I had a Samurai Shodown 3 cart that was exactly the same with the eeproms indivualy colored.

I'm not the authority on boots, but I would say its legit.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
Clean her up

I'm gonna give it a good cleaning and see what that does. I know I should do that first but this still looks kinda crazy to me, based on the other carts I have opened up.

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Check out my SS3 board. The bottom board also has 1 more color coded Eeprom chip on it. A good cleaning of the connectors and everything should be fine.

Sam3a.jpg

-Bill

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member

Yeah, a cleaning totally fixed. Sorry, should have tried that first.

At least this thread can help educate other n00bs when they run into this the first time.

The "windowed" chips is what threw me off, I thought I read somewhere they were the first sign of a boot.

btw - this game is pretty kickass too. Iori's first appearance right? :)

Ruell

, I FORGOT MY SECRET SANTA OBLIGATION. FUCK ME, RI
What's with the wire's?(or are they cobwebs) I would rather get a second opinion before closing the question.

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
/shrugs

Not sure, like I said cleaned it up and all is fine. Here is a picture of the second board, nothing looks out of place with it: http://mdstinc.net/boot/IMG_0008.JPG

Those are indeed wires. Sorry for the picture being so blurry. There is 2 green wires, both running from the small chips on the board - one to a larger chip and the other to the board itself. You can't see to well in the picture, but there is a third wire that is very short and looped in that row of 4 small connectors in the middle.

Bootleg or not it works now after cleaning and I only paid like $10 for it (like I said earlier, "Yaton special").

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
100% legit SNK fix. Mine's identical... except fot the wires.

The wires are a little unusual, but this is not a boot.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've got a KOF2K3 with a eprom, legit though.
If you ever see "MX" on the chips of an mvs cart then you can be sure enough that it's a boot.

Mutation

Super Sidekicks 3
Legit revision of KoF '95 with 4 EPs (P1 to P4). Do you have bosses enables (the wires may be there to enable bosses [modif cart]).

Btw, there 're legit revisions of games with EPs (for Ps) :
3 Count Bout ;
Puzzle Bobble ;
Art of Fighting 2 (EP1 + P1) ;
Fatal Fury Special (EP1 + P1 and P2) ;
Fatal Fury 2 ;
KoF '95 ;
KoF '99 ;
Garou MotW ;
Puzzle de Pon! ;
Samurai Shodown 1 ;
Samurai Shodown III ;
Pochi and Nyaa ;
World Heroes 1.
Could someone complete this list ?

Last edited:

Kunio

Mr. Big's Thug
I have had a 100% legit Last Blade 1 with EPs in sockets EP1, EP2, P1 and P2 labeled with correct NGH number. All other chips were stamped mask roms with correct NGH numbers on them. No wires.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
El Capitan said:
100% legit SNK fix. Mine's identical... except fot the wires.

The wires are a little unusual, but this is not a boot.

Ditto..

Adamaki

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
You should always give the connectors a good scrub on yaton's carts before you put them in the cart slot. You don't want to get too much dirt on your cart slots or no games will work! I never got one of his carts to work first time so now I just clean them up as a matter of course before I try them out.

themisterfalcon

15 Year Member
Adamaki said:
You should always give the connectors a good scrub on yaton's carts before you put them in the cart slot. You don't want to get too much dirt on your cart slots or no games will work! I never got one of his carts to work first time so now I just clean them up as a matter of course before I try them out.

Yeah thats a good call, never though of it that way. In the future all my Yaton Specials will go through the ringer before even touching my MVS :D

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Are the bosses instantly enabled and can you get an isntant powerup by pressing all the buttons?

If so, it's a hack using mostly legit parts.