Timewasters: please don't ask for pics if you have no intention of buying. Thank you.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
Hello, everybody.

I know that Phillip keeps a scammers and timewasters thread, but I am starting this thread to deal with a special breed of timewasters that I am sick of.

I am usually an easygoing, respectful, polite person to deal with, and I have lots of happy customers, who will verify how helpful I try to be.

But there is a special breed that is ruining it for everybody else. I am a nice guy, and I hate being an jerk to someone who doesn't deserve it.

People, it goes like this: if you can't afford something that someone is selling, then DON'T WASTE HIS TIME. DON'T send the seller a million PM's. DON'T ask the seller a million questions. AND DON'T ASK FOR A MILLION PICS. IF you can't afford something, that is cool. But leave the sellers alone, and don't waste their time.

I am getting sick and tired of PM's asking questions or asking for pics. Then when I have taken the time to answer the questions or send the pics, I get the "Oh, sorry, I can't afford it right now." Or worse, the ones who say, "I get paid at the end of the month. Can you hold it for me until then?"

If you can't afford it, DON'T ASK.

Let me rephrase that: if you can't afford it at the time you are thinking of sending the PM, DON'T ASK.

You know what? I can't afford a Ferrari right now. I know I can't afford a Ferrari right now. So I don't go to the dealerships, ask a million questions, ask for pics, etc. You know what I do instead? I stay out of the Ferrari dealerships. I leave them the heck alone, so they can focus their time and attention on the serious buyers who really can afford their products. I would appreciate the same respect.

All that is past is in the past. But from this day forward, if you send me a PM asking about a high-dollar item (e.g., Egret II's and AES carts), I am going to respond the following:

"Read the following thread, and only contact me again about this item if you have the money RIGHT NOW and can afford it RIGHT NOW."

To everybody else, this rant isn't directed at you. You know who you are.

Thank you.

EDIT: toned it down a bit. Thank you.

Last edited:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I really hope you don't become a sales mod.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
That's pretty much why EG and I took pics of the Egret II in the Cherokee. We have fit basically any Woody or Candy in it and were tired of ppl saying there was no way they could fit one in it lol.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
I really hope you don't become a sales mod.

Well, we are in agreement. I don't want to become a mod; I never did.

That's pretty much why EG and I took pics of the Egret II in the Cherokee. We have fit basically any Woody or Candy in it and were tired of ppl saying there was no way they could fit one in it lol.

Well, that is not what is bugging me. Granted I get a lot of questions about the Egret II's, and I try to answer them. But I also get a lot of people who ask questions about the Egrets who have no serious interest in getting one.

However, this thread was most recently spawned by a couple of people asking about my AES carts for sale. We send a few PM's negotiating price (which is reasonable). Then after that, one buyer asks for numerous pics (front of case, back of case, spine, front of cart, side of cart, front of manual, back of manual). So I sent him all that. Then he asks for my paypal address. Then he backs out saying he can't afford the carts. I don't mind someone changing their mind, but I get tired of the ones who ask for a million pics and still have no serious intention of buying the item.

danox574

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Perhaps they aren't out of money, but the photos showed something they don't like, and they'd decided rather than enter a protracted discussion about your carts or photos, they simply decide it's best to end the progress of a transaction with something you can't argue.

I don't have any specific knowledge of your transactions, but I'm playing devil's advocate, because I've had many people decide to avoid a transaction using the same excuse when it's fictitious. I could care less if they don't want to continue, but I've stopped progress on transactions once I've gotten photos and found people to be insanely pissed off at me (for apparently being honest).

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Bibliophile said:
However, this thread was most recently spawned by a couple of people asking about my AES carts for sale. We send a few PM's negotiating price (which is reasonable). Then after that, one buyer asks for numerous pics (front of case, back of case, spine, front of cart, side of cart, front of manual, back of manual). So I sent him all that. Then he asks for my paypal address. Then he backs out saying he can't afford the carts. I don't mind someone changing their mind, but I get tired of the ones who ask for a million pics and still have no serious intention of buying the item.

QFT. I remember one or 2 years ago, I've sold my whole AES collection. I've listed some rare games WAY under their value for a quick sale. There was nothing wrong with these games and the condition was described in the thread (All my games are always in great shape). I've received something like 50 pms in the month. Some people asked for pics (when there was many pics in the sale thread already), asked for the condition (when everything was discribed in the thread already), asked for the authenticity of the carts (jpn MSX convertion ? jpn Last Blade 2 conversion, What ?) and then ended with a lowball offers including oversea shipping and all. I won't come back to AES anytime soon, too many ignorant and skinflint people in there.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
deal in things that booger eaters like....deal with booger eaters.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Oh man I'd totally buy this if ... bump for a great seller!!

:hammer:

Seriously, I've been asked to do payment plans for people on homecarts, free shipping to french people for some reason, amongst taking hundreds of pics and being turned down. Timewasters get on my titties.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
When I hold things, I ask for a non-refundable deposit.

I have no problem taking partial payments from people.

I actually help the buyer in any way I can to get them the item.

Not everyone has $600 or so on hand and need some time to purchase an item.

I extend that courtesy to everyone.

In fact, with a few of the higher profile AES carts I recently sold, 5 of them were on a payment plan/held.

You have to do that sometimes - why deny someone something if they dont have the money right away?

Or if I come back with a price of $70 and the guy offers me $65 - I usually take it, no big deal, its only $5 and if I like that person, it makes me happy that I could give them a small break.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior

I have no problem taking partial payments from people.

I actually help the buyer in any way I can to get them the item.

Not everyone has $600 or so on hand and need some time to purchase an item.

I extend that courtesy to everyone.

In fact, with a few of the higher profile AES carts I recently sold, 5 of them were on a payment plan/held.

You have to do that sometimes - why deny someone something if they dont have the money right away?

Or if I come back with a price of $70 and the guy offers me $65 - I usually take it, no big deal, its only $5 and if I like that person, it makes me happy that I could give them a small break.

I give lots of people breaks. I am holding two Egret II's for someone right now. I was holding stuff for Shawn Carr when everyone else was cracking down on him. But there is a difference. He always asks from the beginning if I can hold something for him. If I agree to it, I don't complain because I know what I am getting into from the beginning.

If someone is going to ask a seller to hold something, he should do so from the beginning, not surprise the seller with it at the last minute. The first PM should mention this. But don't ask the seller tons of questions, then haggle a price with him, then ask for pics. Then when the seller has finally done everything the buyer has asked and it comes time to pay, surprise the seller with "oh yeah, I can't afford it right now. Can you hold it for me?"

But in the most recent instance (and this isn't the only time someone has done this), the buyer haggles the price, then asks for pics, then receives the pics, then asks for the paypal address, and then lastly says, "ooops, sorry, can't afford it. Thanks." He didn't even ask for a payment plan; he just backed out altogether.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Just leave bad feedback if that happens. After all thats what its there for.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I give lots of people breaks. I am holding two Egret II's for someone right now. I was holding stuff for Shawn Carr when everyone else was cracking down on him. But there is a difference. He always asks from the beginning if I can hold something for him. If I agree to it, I don't complain because I know what I am getting into from the beginning.

If someone is going to ask a seller to hold something, he should do so from the beginning, not surprise the seller with it at the last minute. The first PM should mention this. But don't ask the seller tons of questions, then haggle a price with him, then ask for pics. Then when the seller has finally done everything the buyer has asked and it comes time to pay, surprise the seller with "oh yeah, I can't afford it right now. Can you hold it for me?"

But in the most recent instance (and this isn't the only time someone has done this), the buyer haggles the price, then asks for pics, then receives the pics, then asks for the paypal address, and then lastly says, "ooops, sorry, can't afford it. Thanks." He didn't even ask for a payment plan; he just backed out altogether.

I agree with you - not many people give a fuck about anyone but themselves anymore.

Nickle diming and other bullshit over small items.

Its not like the old days here, thats for fucking sure.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I don't understand what the big deal is here.

There is no pictures in your sales thread. It's perfectly normal for potential buyers to ask for many pictures. It's not like buying a $5 Super Mario World. Some buyers also ask for pictures with a view to open up a conversation for price negotiation.

Since you are selling "rare and expensive" homecarts, didn't you prepare many pictures in advance, but not taking pictures when potential customers ask for them? If you have pictures prepared in advance, isn't it relatively easy to attach pics to email?

I can understand that you get frustrated at people backing out of deals at the last minute. The fact is people changes mind all the time especially when it comes to high price items. I have had numerous people asking me for pictures, negotiate for price, then disappear or not replying for PMs. That's part of business and it happens all the time.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I will hold items for members who have a track record here. I just sold a Saturn to ki-atsusi (may have spelled that wrong) and he asked on a monday if I could hold it till friday. Based upon his pm's which were all cordial and his feedback rating, I went ahead and held it till friday

He paid me three days later, no problems at all!

So I understand what you mean, and it does suck. I always put photos up of what I sell, but I know biblio has so much shit, taking photos of everything would probably be an all day affair.

I end up having more issues when someone with 0-2 feedback ratings gets pissed when I ask for them to ship first, even when I have people on the site that have shipped to me before payment, and they received their money as soon as I opened the package and confirmed everything was 100%

I get the 'fuck you dude, I'm not a scammer' on people who have completed one transaction. Needless to say, I don't give them any business

But biblio is the man! I bought a used Jaguar and a FFS AES cart from him all at once, and he was professional and fast to ship it, so he gets my +1 anytime!

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I just dont get some ppl either. Everything I've bought off here I've paid instantly within 4 hours of the seller giving me their paypal addy. Most of the time the pics in the thread were good enough. I'm mainly a player than a collector of mint items.

But I also look around, check going rates and ask simple questions. I know some ppl hold stuff and thats nice and all. However I dont send a PM at all unless the money is there to begin with.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Feedback doesn't give feedback for non-buyers. Timewasters, etc. (people that constantly ask for this or that and don't often buy).

Asking for pics should mean: If it exists as stated I am sending money. Therefore, there shouldn't be a problem paying first and getting the pictures second. If you don't trust the seller would refund the money after that then you shouldn't be buying from them.

As I've said in the past: There are far more terrible buyers than terrible sellers. Every feedback system only works post sale, and that's a huge limitation on the potential quality of the market process.

As my buddy Andres says: You don't ask for pics and I won't ask for a picture of your money order.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Feedback doesn't give feedback for non-buyers. Timewasters, etc. (people that constantly ask for this or that and don't often buy).

Asking for pics should mean: If it exists as stated I am sending money. Therefore, there shouldn't be a problem paying first and getting the pictures second. If you don't trust the seller would refund the money after that then you shouldn't be buying from them.

As I've said in the past: There are far more terrible buyers than terrible sellers. Every feedback system only works post sale, and that's a huge limitation on the potential quality of the market process.

As my buddy Andres says: You don't ask for pics and I won't ask for a picture of your money order.

And not to mention that no one ever seems to leave negative feedback. It seems to be 'feedback or no feedback' on a transaction and therefore, when looking at a feedback page, you really only see the results from satisfactory deals.

I've also dealt with some people that are all ready to roll on an item I have for sale, ask for more and more information, are all set, then back out saying they don't have the cash on hand. I have no problem going back and forth with communication about items, but it is discouraging and frustrating when this is all done before someone is even clear of their own finances. If someone just wants some additional info because they MAY be interested and aren't quite sure of their wallet readiness just yet, that's perfectly fine, just be up front about it.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

I think that's a bit overboard. I don't see any reason why a buyer should pay first and photo second.

I wouldn't buy anything on a text description, and that goes for even the best reputation members on this site. If there is text, I ask for a photo. If the photo shows the item as described, I purchase it

I agree that asking for photos if you don't have the cash is an issue. But asking for photos and then saying 'eh..not what I was looking for, thanks though' should be perfectly acceptable

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I think that's a bit overboard. I don't see any reason why a buyer should pay first and photo second.

I wouldn't buy anything on a text description, and that goes for even the best reputation members on this site. If there is text, I ask for a photo. If the photo shows the item as described, I purchase it

I agree that asking for photos if you don't have the cash is an issue. But asking for photos and then saying 'eh..not what I was looking for, thanks though' should be perfectly acceptable

1) I don't see why a seller should give a photo first and receive money second. And nobody cares.

2) Doesn't make sense.

3) Is not acceptable, and your comment doesn't make sense considering you said you'd buy the item in "2".

Bottom line: You can't have it both ways. You can't say, "it's cool, I'm going to buy the item if you give me a photo (as long as I don't have to buy the item if I don't want to)"

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
1) I don't see why a seller should give a photo first and receive money second. And nobody cares.

2) Doesn't make sense.

3) Is not acceptable, and your comment doesn't make sense considering you said you'd buy the item in "2".

Bottom line: You can't have it both ways. You can't say, "it's cool, I'm going to buy the item if you give me a photo (as long as I don't have to buy the item if I don't want to)"

I don't think he is saying that. I think he is saying that "if the photos reveal that it is in worse condition than the buyer expects, than it is okay to not buy it." And I agree. I am not one of those buyers who wants something in mint condition; I am fine with gamer's condition. But if a buyer wants mint condition, and the pics show that it is not in mint condition, it is okay if he walks away.

My complaint is not that some buyers request pics, or that they request detailed pics. My compaint isn't even that they might walk away from the deal after seeing the pics. My complaint is against buyers who ask for pics or ask a lot of questions about an item they can't afford in the first place. First decide if buying the item is financially feasible in the first place.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I don't think he is saying that. I think he is saying that "if the photos reveal that it is in worse condition than the buyer expects, than it is okay to not buy it." And I agree. I am not one of those buyers who wants something in mint condition; I am fine with gamer's condition. But if a buyer wants mint condition, and the pics show that it is not in mint condition, it is okay if he walks away.

My complaint is not that some buyers request pics, or that they request detailed pics. My compaint isn't even that they might walk away from the deal after seeing the pics. My complaint is against buyers who ask for pics or ask a lot of questions about an item they can't afford in the first place. First decide if buying the item is financially feasible in the first place.

It's not an issue. Most deals here are text only. Do we see people returning items not as described? No. Silent evidence suggests there may be items not as described that we don't know about - because of our faults in upholding a strict feedback system.

If a picture is sent and it doesn't match the text then that's another issue entirely. There's a problem with the seller, but feedback wouldn't reflect such a risk because people would turn down the deal and no feedback would be left. This is the exact reversal of the issue where a buyer doesn't purchase something even though the picture does match (which happens far more often).

The issue is that of accountability in the feedback system. Nobody wants to look like a bad guy.

I wouldn't mind seeing an accountability system. If you post an item for sale or post a message to buy then you are tracked on those individual actions - and not offers that turn into finished deals. Such a system would detect Boogs by alerting the seller that the buyer constantly makes actions to purchase without a succesful purchase rate and those deals would be avoided entirely.

Then again, you're talking to someone that sells everything in "gamer's condition" and defines "mint" as "brand new/sealed as if it came from the mint". I just can't help but see glaring flaws in the logic of most opinions above - and/or their irrelevance.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I just bought R-Type II for pc-engine for a seller for $8, on a text description. No biggie for a photo there.

I bought a KOF 98 from Pricess-Isabel for $90...and I wanted photos. She supplied them, I purchased

So for anything more than $20 dollars, I want a photo. If a seller cant provide one, I don't buy it, simple as that.

I dont think buyers should be punished for wanting photographs, so long as they are serious buyers.

I also think photos help sales occur. I buy more often when I can see an item, not just read about it.

I've also read 'manual slight worn' and the photo showed something that looked like crumpled note paper. Glad I saw a photo before I paid!

Cavalry

INfintido Innuendo?,

that right there should be a rule on this site. If you're holding something for someone for a week or more they need to put down a non-refundable deposit of some kind. Like 5% of the actual price of the item.

There have been so many times when I tell someone I will hold something for them, then after 2 weeks they say:

"oh sorry man, I'm going to have to pass this time."

And it's like you wish you never held it for them.

-=-=-=-

and on the subject of the thread.... I think thats good when non-potential buyer asks for pics. I've done it on purpose before for the fact that I didn't trust the seller, and actually wanted them to put up a pic for a real potential buyer.

people sholudn't have to ask for pics. they need to be there before you start a thread.

Last edited: