Three coffee table comprehensive SNES books by three different gamers

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Jeffrey Wittenhagen wrote and published the first comprehensive SNES book.

https://hagens-alley-books.myshopif...e-complete-snes-second-edition-hardcover-book

Because I contributed to it, I received a copy of it. It's definitely a massive labor of love and well put together. I would recommend it to anyone who wishes to have a coffee table style book featuring the entire North American SNES library. What makes his book really cool though is that Jeffrey includes a ton of Super Famicom exclusive titles.

Brett Weiss just released his SNES Omnibus. It's Volume 1 and contains games A-M. N-Z will be out next year.

https://www.amazon.com/SNES-Omnibus-Super-Nintendo-M/dp/0764355325/

Early reviews are positive and promising. Probably going to pick this up at some point (if I can stop buying Switch games, lol).

And just recently Pat the NES Punk officially confirmed his SNES book will be out in May 2019.

https://the-punk-effect.myshopify.c...endo-guide-to-the-snes-library-book-pre-order

I heard great things about Pat's NES book, but I never bought it because I'm not crazy enough about the NES. This one... I'm probably going to bite the bullet because I love the SNES so much.

Are you planning to buy any of these books listed above and why or why not? Myself, I already own Jeffrey's and I will probably buy the rest. Do I really need three (er, four) SNES coffee table books? No. But do I want them? Hell yeah, lol.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Isn't Pat more of a hoarder than a gamer?

I'm not going to buy any of these. Turtles in Time is pretty much the only reason why I still own a SFC.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I'd consider getting a Genesis/MegaDrive version of a book like this before I got a SFC/SNES book. They do look nice though! I'd spring if I was more into Nintendo at the moment (other than Switch). Probably pick one of this up in the future someday. Maybe ask for it as a gift.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Isn't Pat more of a hoarder than a gamer?

I'm not going to buy any of these. Turtles in Time is pretty much the only reason why I still own a SFC.

I would never by them either but, I feel bad for your sfc/taste.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My book tip on Nintendo would be Sheff's Game Over or Kohler's Power Up. Coffee table literature just can't beat browsing through a simple shelf-queen's shelf, so I don't feel the urge to buy any. What I got are old self-published issues of Project: Shooting Games by a friend of mine, Lars Nyerup. Very trashy, thus full of charm.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I would never by them either but, I feel bad for your sfc/taste.
It's just that Turtles is a game that I can have fun with for 10 to 15 minutes. With other games I'd have to invest more time and I usually only really play games when the weather is shit or when I'm sick and don't feel like leaving the bed.

42035937740_7d8e226e72_b.jpg

Also, I do have a Raspberry Pi. And I'm not immortal.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Alright, I hear you.

I may have misinterpreted the gist of your post.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I bought Pat's NES book and have enjoyed it quite a bit, so I will probably pick up his SNES one too. I've looked at Wittenhagen's book before, but the art and layout just looks plain ugly. I'm sure the info is good, but I just can't pull the trigger at that price.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I have the SFC Cover Art book, that's a good one

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I have the SFC Cover Art book, that's a good one

I have that one too as well as a few other books from Bit Map Books. They are all excellent and the presentation is top notch. I just backed their Master System book on Kickstarter and can't wait. Their Neo Geo book has been well discussed here as well and shouldn't be missed.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Bump: Got that Super Famicom Box Art book, too. I agree with ggallegos1, it's a good one. Most of the pictured boxes are not mint, which adds an authentic feel and makes them appear more haptic. The nice thing about it, though, are the accompanying descriptions of the games. Nothing groundbreaking, but the'll get you hooked while the pics alone just wouldn't.

This book is a cool companion to any everdrive: You browse through full-colored pages, discovering games you didn't know of or maybe ignored back in the days, read a little of that nice chatter printed next to them and suddenly... feel the urge to pop that particular game up and play it. One realizes that a game is not only a Rom inside a plastic shell, but a total artwork.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I'm not sure there's much to glean from a SNES book. We know that platform fairly well already.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
lol video game console books, why lets read about that console I've mentally masturbated over like my whole life.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'm not sure there's much to glean from a SNES book. We know that platform fairly well already.

That's certainly the truth, a book on japanese home computers would be great for a change. Imagine an PC-88/-98, X68K, FM Towns, MSX/2 coffee table paperweight with all those gorgeous covers and some short but competent information. Then there's the current indie/doujin scene with all their releases on Steam, I'd appreciate a viable non-digital guide on this topic, too.