Thoughts on the original X-RGB2?

ApolloBoy

330 Mega Shock!!
I have the chance to get an original X-RGB2 (albeit a broken one) for cheap and I was just wondering how it stacks up today. I plan on using it for testing RGB mods alongside my PVM and maybe keep it as a backup for my PVMs.

mr_b

Giga Shock!!
I had one. It worked well for my genny, snes, saturn and ps2 stuff with my 42" 720p Samsung plasma. When I upgraded to my 65" Panasonic Viera plasma the max output of 480p was a bit of a letdown and I sold it with the intention of upgrading to a xrgb mini so I could get 1080p. It was great on the original plasma. I guess it all depends on what you are going to be using it for. The XRGB2 does do well for supergun use as it can take the off sync's some pcb's have.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
The OG is my favorite, for the above mentioned supergun versatility. If you can get it cheep, go for it!

ApolloBoy

330 Mega Shock!!
So I wound up getting the XRGB-2 after all, and now I'm trying to figure out what could have caused it to become broken before I pick it up later this month. The seller suspects that it may have bad caps, is that a common problem at all on the XRGB-2? I've heard some people report cap-related issues with the XRGB-2plus but I haven't seen much information on the original.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Take a look at the power jack I'd say, the one on mine was a little loose. Would occasionally cut out.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
I believe the XRGB2, RXGB 2 PLUS and the XRGB 3 are far superior to the Framemeister XRGB MINI

I am enough of a Videophile where I want crisp clear graphics and as little lag as possible.
The Framemeister XRGB MINI has 24 ms of input lag.

The OG XRGB 2, the XRGB 2 PLUS and XRGB 3 are awesome.
If you really want HDMI out put there are reasonable VGA to HDMI adapters that you could chain to a XRGB 2.

I got the XRGB 2 PLUS and I love that device.

Yodd

Kyo's Flame
So I wound up getting the XRGB-2 after all, and now I'm trying to figure out what could have caused it to become broken before I pick it up later this month. The seller suspects that it may have bad caps, is that a common problem at all on the XRGB-2? I've heard some people report cap-related issues with the XRGB-2plus but I haven't seen much information on the original.

One common occurrence is people plugging in euro Scart cables rather than jp21. And since the 5v pin is connected on a different pin...

ApolloBoy

330 Mega Shock!!
One common occurrence is people plugging in euro Scart cables rather than jp21. And since the 5v pin is connected on a different pin...
I just heard from the seller and he told me that he never used SCART cables, only Japanese RGB. He said that he went to turn it on one day and it wouldn't display anything.

mr_b

Giga Shock!!
There are some arcade pcb's have sub 54hz sync rates and the xrgb2+ and later models have problems with them. I know Raiden II is one such board. The xrgb2 has no issues with the sync rates on those boards. In addition to Raiden II, I know some Midway boards like MK2 are also below 54hz. If you take a look here there is a wealth of information on the different upscalers. http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/micomsoft.html

Adderall

Giga Shock!!
XRGB2 OG handles the Xexex pcb correctly.....the XRGB2+ as well as the XRGB3 do not.
2+ doesn't have full progressive scan support (no gamecube or ps2)

Pretty sure superdeadite has a video about this.

ApolloBoy

330 Mega Shock!!
Turned out the issue with the XRGB-2 was indeed cap-related. I recapped the entire unit last night, did the factory reset and it works great! The image quality is drop dead gorgeous too, I'm very tempted to replace my PVM with a nice VGA monitor and the XRGB-2 at some point.

Yodd

Kyo's Flame
The xrgb-2 can't pass through 31khz signals can it?

Because if if could, that would make it a very interesting solution.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
The xrgb-2 can't pass through 31khz signals can it?

Because if if could, that would make it a very interesting solution.

Never had a vanilla 2.

The 2+ can though. The idear I believe, was to let a pc tower & TV Games share the same monitor.
apysyra9.jpg