The Samurai Shodown 64 beta cart thread

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I’m sure most people saw anyway but forums were down when it happened so

and

And

I am actively in the process to figure out the best method to dump the cart. It has 96 rom chips on DIMMS so I am probing the pinout to determine the best path forward.

just trying to get it done without having to remove and resolder all 96 chips. If it comes to that I have an engineer friend who will step in. I can solder but that’s too much for me

but eventually it’ll get dumped and released for free just because why not!

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Happy to! It's been a lot of fun

So far dump wise there are three options on the table

1) probe the DIMM boards for continuity and see if each rom leads to it's own pin. If so a female mating connector (if I can find it) can be wired up into a bread board with some pins and breadboarded into an adapter that slots into a ROM reader.

2) find the appropriate SOP adapter and capture from above. Normally the chips go in bottom down, but the adapter could be rewired from there to invert the pinout correctly

3) desolder them all and resolder them. If it comes to this it'll have to be someone else. I can solder fine but the pin pitch across 96 chips...I will fuck one up. Odds are too high.

Chatting with some people smarter than me (actual engineers, not my fine art degree hobbyist ass) to ask around for ideas

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Saw it on my google news feed. Very interesting find indeed!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Saw it on my google news feed. Very interesting find indeed!
Yeah it was awesome to be able to get ahold of the cart and share what it is and a dump eventually

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

finally a character I'd play as in the retail vers

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What are the differences you experienced? Looks kind of the same from here.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I cant help but feel every time you power up this board, you roll the dice with it suiciding. Stop playing, start dumping.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I cant help but feel every time you power up this board, you roll the dice with it suiciding. Stop playing, start dumping.
there is nothing to suicide. It's legit just roms on a pcb with traces. No batteries, nothing...plus I did every capture in one day and it has been powered off since so...its good :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I’m still trying to understand the differences between this and the final version.

is it possible to play as bosses?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I’m still trying to understand the differences between this and the final version.

is it possible to play as bosses?
not that I've found. There is a test menu with options to change things in game but I cannot get it to control. It does nothing on P1, P2, test or service switch...just sits there

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Interested in the test menu. Did you try using player 2 controller for it?