The Official Fan Translations Thread

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I thought I would kick this off with Bulk Slash for the Sega Saturn, but it seems they're still working on a final version. So instead, we start with the racing/rpg: Racing Lagoon for the PS1. I've been waiting for years for someone to translate this game and apparently it came together in 6 quick months. Crazy considering the amount of text in this game, it is, afterall an RPG.

It delivers. It has great music, addicting (though shallow) gameplay, and a good story. The graphics ... well, it's the PS1, you're going to have PS1 type problems like draw distance and clunky character models. I think the character models and movements could have been better but then again that could have been an artistic choice. This game is loaded with style. I like the menus and chapter introductions. The music for the most part is good though some of the drum and bass tracks seem dated. I'm about 40 hours in and I don't want it to end. I will say some of the timed events/grinding aspects can be annoying. I missed some key parts for my car by just not being in the right place at the right time. I shouldn't have to depend on a guide for some of these things. But anyway, in summary, if you have the means (emulation/burns/ode) give this game a shot.

I can't stress enough how high quality some of these translations have been these past few years. Just to name a few: Ys IV translation for the PCE CD, Policenauts for the PS1/Sat, and some others I haven't tried yet but look promising like Mizuna Falls. I will update with the Bulk Slash project when it's released.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
And yet.....

SSRPG remains unfinished.

I think if youtubers made more videos on it, then we'd see a translation. I feel like Bulk Slash and Racing Lagoon have been on those "only in Japan" lists long enough to gain interest. Perhaps this is your calling, Hornhea Double D

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Can't wait for the final version of bulk slash to release.
Also policenauts translation was good as fuuuckkk.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Thorhighheels did a review about the English Translation. He was one of the biggest fans of this game and asked for the translation for a long time. His review is pretty good. You should watch it if you're still on the fence (for whatever insane reason) about playing this game.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
That soundtrack to Racing Lagoon is fucking awesome.

I had actually never heard of it somehow, looks interesting.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
This fuckin' rules, amazing news. I've wanted to play "the Squaresoft Racing RPG" for forever.

I really wish SegaGaGa would finally get a released fan translation, I feel like it's been started and stopped so many times over the years...

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Oh shit I never heard about the Racing Lagoon translation until today! I'm definitely loading it into my xstation tonight. Thanks for bringing it up.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
That soundtrack to Racing Lagoon is fucking awesome.

I had actually never heard of it somehow, looks interesting.
Right? I'm a Squaresoft nut and it took Roker to inform me about this.

I probably wont play it but maybe Ill burn it to a disc and try it sometime

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
I heard Nakoruru and SeGaGaGa are getting fan translations for the Dreamcast.

I also think KOF Kyo and Athena both for PS1 should get fan translations aswell.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
The Bulk Slash English Translation project is complete!

What's cool about this translation is not only do we get translated text, but it includes voice acting AND support for the Twin Sticks. That's pretty cool. I'm still working on Racing Lagoon or I'd give me impressions of the game. It's on my queue though.