The NEW SimCity on PC

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Is anyone else playing the new SimCity online? What are your thoughts?

I've only played SimCity on SNES/Wii VC. Seems I've missed a lot in between then and now.. :lolz:So I'm not a pro or anything but the new release is pretty cool, but almost too much customization for a noob like myself. Though, it's cool that other people are controlling cities in your region.

Anyways, if anyone wants to get a group game together let me know and we can create Neo Geo World..lol..expensive unused carpets and all.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I've heard nothing but horrible things about it. Always online DRM, shitty servers, queues just to play the game. Typical EA bullshit.

GoG said it best:

OAFZFFh.png

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If it doesn't have a giant Bowser rampaging through the city I'm not interested.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
The commercials make it look interesting, I have not really played a Sim City game since Societies which was alright. Those issues though about the always online DRM and trouble connecting really turn me off, maybe after a patch or two they can get that fixed up or release this on Steam and I might check it out.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Skidrowcrack...Sim City...just throwing this out there... ;)
Every DRM can be outsmarted.

Pope Sazae

Looks like Amazon pulled the game for now due to it having 740 one star reviews, maybe I will wait even longer before I get this game. I wonder how the gameplay is compared to past SimCity games, every review I found just talks about the DRM and the inability to connect to the servers.

mhkohne

n00b
10 Year Member
Looks like Amazon pulled the game for now due to it having 740 one star reviews, maybe I will wait even longer before I get this game. I wonder how the gameplay is compared to past SimCity games, every review I found just talks about the DRM and the inability to connect to the servers.

I just checked and it appears to be available on amazon again.

I like SimCity, but damn if I'm going to pay good money for always-on DRM.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

226 One Star reviews on german amazon for the "limited" edition. :lolz: Also they're asking for 9,50€ for the british, german and french-styled city packs...9,50€ for each of course.
Fuck EA, fuck Origin.

Last edited:

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Yeah, the launch kind of flopped and some of my original cities got deleted, but those were shit anyways.

I haven't really had the significant server issues people are talking about. I'll be the lone voice and recommend the new SimCity. I'd say it's been fun so far. The people pursuing refunds over this are significantly overreacting at this point.

cannonball

15 Year Member
Yeah, the launch kind of flopped and some of my original cities got deleted, but those were shit anyways.

I haven't really had the significant server issues people are talking about. I'll be the lone voice and recommend the new SimCity. I'd say it's been fun so far. The people pursuing refunds over this are significantly overreacting at this point.

I don't blame anyone for wanting a refund for a game they can't play.

I wish more people would realize how damaging it is to the entire community to support companies that use these always online "games are a service" design decisions in every game without regard to if it fits the game or not.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I love all the other simcity's and my favorites were the snes version and Societys. I really wanted to get the new one but coulden't afford it. Now I'm kinda glad I did not with all the crazy problems they are having. I'll get it for sure once they fix the problems.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I played Oregon Trail last night for the first time in... God knows when. Not that 5th version or whatever is the latest, but the old school Oregon Trail Deluxe for DOS. It's still such an awesome game. Lost my whole party in 600 miles and was chugging on alone, hunting, eating well, resting... Pushing my oxen along. Got to the halfway point of 1000 miles in good health... Left for the short cut, had tons of supplies... and died. Such a brutal game.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I remember beating DOS Orgon Trail and only making it to the end with only 1 person alive lol. Everyone else died of Dysentary. Those were the days lol.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Let me guess, it's free to play, then when you want to upgrade your city it links you straight to paypal... :annoyed: Sim City is perfect for this model of game.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
It's a full price game with dlc available at launch...what do you expect from EA?

mhkohne

n00b
10 Year Member
I don't blame anyone for wanting a refund for a game they can't play.

I wish more people would realize how damaging it is to the entire community to support companies that use these always online "games are a service" design decisions in every game without regard to if it fits the game or not.

Darned right. EA won't stop this crap till it hits them in the wallet. If you bought a copy and can't play, you should be screaming for your money back. That will get their attention.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

cannonball

15 Year Member
Good article to read that reiterates my point for those that are still considering giving EA their money

RPS article

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
It's awesome how people got stupid enough to play offline single player games like Diablo and SimCity online.

Pope Sazae

Has anyone found a hack or anything yet to play the single player version of the game without connecting to the EA servers. Finally found some reviews saying the gameplay is great and I don't care if I can't play it online. Plus I'm about to start traveling a lot and don't trust hotel wi-fi so I'd really like a way to play this game without being connected to the internet.

cannonball

15 Year Member
No crack yet.

You'll need more than a crack. All of the saved game data is stored on EA servers, so someone will need to write server emulation for all of the functionality not on the game disc which is needed to actually play it.

It's not like the game phones home when you launch it to see if you're allowed to play. The entire thing is integrated with their server side software for all of the actual gameplay. Who would go through the trouble to make that work offline?

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
People said the same about Assassin's Creed 2 when it came out for the PC and the crack was released pretty soon after. Transmissions between the user and the server can be sniffed out, just a question of time till someone actually releases a workaround.

cannonball

15 Year Member
People said the same about Assassin's Creed 2 when it came out for the PC and the crack was released pretty soon after. Transmissions between the user and the server can be sniffed out, just a question of time till someone actually releases a workaround.

AC2 used phone home DRM when it came time to save the game but the client contained the full game so there wasn't anything that needed to be recreated from the server. SimCity does full on game logic on the server side similar to MMORPGs. Apples and oranges. You're wrong. If you still don't get it you can do your own research.

Last edited: